NEWS

Attribute Values of One

• 21 Replies

falar

• Omae
  • The Fourth Jesse
« on: <10-17-15/1038:28> »
How frowned upon is this in Missions character creation?

I've seen very wildly varying opinions on this depending on what online community I hit up about it. /r/Shadowrun follows the "you character is totally min-maxed if you have a one attribute anywhere" philosophy. ShadowGrid seems to lean towards the side where it's bad, but not an unforgivable sin.

For a Missions character where I'm having trouble hitting good values for my main attributes, how much should attributes of one worry me?

Fedifensor

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #1 on: <10-17-15/1248:53> »
For a Missions character where I'm having trouble hitting good values for my main attributes, how much should attributes of one worry me?
Well, considering it only takes 10 Karma to bring an attribute from 1 to 2, it only takes two adventures to fix if you are worried about it.

Whiskeyjack

• Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <10-17-15/1753:58> »
I don't understand how or why it would be an issue. Missions chargen doesn't say "all Attributes have to be at least 2," ergo...
Playability > verisimilitude.

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #3 on: <10-17-15/2001:51> »
inb4 All4BigGuns

An attribute of one can present a single big problem if you don't have an established play group--  The inability to default on rolls using that attribute.  Now, personally, I'd rather actually have 0 dice and auto-fail than roll 1 die and critical glitch every six rolls but...  Some people think that's better.

Some people (cough cough) have extreme ideas of what a 1 in an attribute means, roleplay-wise, but they are in no way "Missions Official" or mechanically supported.  It's been discussed a lot on here, so if it comes up, you're better off reading an old thread.

I personally think flaws and weaknesses make a character interesting, and often have a 1 STR because a lot of my more "civilian" characters would logically have been not especially active before being a runner.  A 1 makes a statement, but it's not disallowed by any means.
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

falar

• Omae
  • The Fourth Jesse
« Reply #4 on: <10-17-15/2138:36> »
Thanks! This discussion is pretty helpful.

The first group I played in had a sort-of rule that the average person off the street would have a 2 or 3 in every attribute and that was the "average," so a 1 would have been pretty sub-par if every random schmuck had straight 2s with a couple of 3s in there for what they were good at.

Dinendae

• Ace Runner
« Reply #5 on: <10-17-15/2145:43> »
Thanks! This discussion is pretty helpful.

The first group I played in had a sort-of rule that the average person off the street would have a 2 or 3 in every attribute and that was the "average," so a 1 would have been pretty sub-par if every random schmuck had straight 2s with a couple of 3s in there for what they were good at.

Try looking at it this way: An attribute of 1 is the lowest score someone would start shadowrunning with. Negative qualities are the only thing that will actually give your character a handicap. For example in 4th Edition I had a Dronomancer (technomancer/rigger) that had the paraplegic negative quality: As I recall, I gave her a strength of 1 (as well as a rigger enabled wheelchair with the walker legs modification). The negative quality was the only thing that made her handicapped, not that attribute score. Had I gone with different negative qualities, but kept that score, it wouldn't have meant anything except that she was a bit weaker than others.

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #6 on: <10-17-15/2246:14> »
While it is true you can't roll while defaulting on a test with skill 0 + attribute 1 alone, that doesn't mean you can't change the parameters of the test. Get a teammate or drone to do the hard part. Use gear, or do something differently to gain bonus dice.

It's not (usually) going to result in a situation where you just shrug, give up, and let the character die / get caught / other.
« Last Edit: <10-17-15/2248:00> by Novocrane »

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <10-17-15/2350:51> »
I'm kinda annoyed though that mechanically, there's less risk to have 0 dice than there is 1.  Like, next to nothing in the game requires just one success and is unresisted/uncontested.  Automatically failing all Etiquette tests due to have a 1 CHA and no skill is better than having 1-2 dice from just CHA and still failing 99.999999% of the time (since you're gonna be resisted by like, at least as many dice, and will probably have some penalties) and having a like 16% chance of a critical glitch and ruining everything.

But mechanically, people are more punished for trying something they are bad at than automatically failing something they're incapable of.
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #8 on: <10-18-15/0110:38> »
I suppose that depends on the result of being unable to roll, assuming either the character makes some attempt or does not.

Fade

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Newb
  • CDT Lead RPG Agent
« Reply #9 on: <10-19-15/1603:14> »
Mechanically, sure you can look at it however you want.  And remember, these aren't just attribute numbers for  "shadowrunning" they are numbers for everything.  There isn't a single creature or character out there who has less than a 1 in an attribute.  How it broke down in previous books:

1 = Weak
2= Underdeveloped
3= Average

6= Maximum Unaugmented Human

SR5 has a way of making dump statting pretty hurtful to your character in that most of the statistics you would want to "dump" be the most important when it comes to calculating your limits.  You CAN start with a strength of 1, but it will make your physical limit suck, thus making your character bad at physical things like combat in general, even if they only want to use guns.  Likewise you can start with a Charisma of 1, but it will not only make you kind of uncouth without the negative quality, it will make you susceptible to not being able to oppose social things effectively. 

I never recommend going with a 1 in an attribute because the limits are pretty nasty to deal with.  I mean, yeah, you can blow the limit with edge, if you have enough of it, but that's a limited resource.

However you want to play it is fine, just remember that it can bite you pretty hard.
Mike Messmer
Freelancer & FAQ Committee member
RPG Lead Agent
Catalyst Demo Team

falar

• Omae
  • The Fourth Jesse
« Reply #10 on: <10-20-15/1139:48> »
Amusingly, said character does have a dump stat of STR-1, but then has Muscle Replacement 2 to bring it up to 3 ... so ... yeah. Not really as big of a deal then as I was thinking.

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #11 on: <10-22-15/1250:29> »
The common dump stats, Logic, Charisma, Strength, have significant mechanical penalties for taking a low number.  They're the ones that count double for limits, Logic determines your starting Knowledge skills, Charisma your starting Contacts.  There really isn't a reason to throw on additional mechanical wrist slaps for a character taking low stats. 

Tables that put a hard stat min out there strongly punish low Attribute priority characters.  Stat min of 2 effectively means your priority "E" Attributes character has 6? points to allocate.  You're already making some tough choices with low priority attribute builds, I don't get slapping around characters even more for doing something that is likely already mechanically weak.  Metahuman Mages or Deckers for example tend to push Attributes down in order to get Resources, Magic, and Skills to a minimum level.   

falar

• Omae
  • The Fourth Jesse
« Reply #12 on: <10-22-15/1429:01> »
That is very true. I built this character with their melee backup skill as Unarmed Combat, which meant that the STR dump stat was pretty painful at one. With the Muscle Replacements she picked up, it got a little healthier, but this is a big good point.

If a low Physical Limit also lowered accuracy, that could be interesting. For instance, if the limit for shooting was (Physical Limit + Accuracy / 2), Strength would really cap a shooter's effectiveness. But they probably don't need that, because MagicRun.

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #13 on: <10-22-15/1558:29> »
That is very true. I built this character with their melee backup skill as Unarmed Combat, which meant that the STR dump stat was pretty painful at one. With the Muscle Replacements she picked up, it got a little healthier, but this is a big good point.

If a low Physical Limit also lowered accuracy, that could be interesting. For instance, if the limit for shooting was (Physical Limit + Accuracy / 2), Strength would really cap a shooter's effectiveness. But they probably don't need that, because MagicRun.

Accuracy aside, shoulda gone with shock gloves.  I really don't get the "magicrun because str doesn't factor into using guns enough" comment though.  I hope you were being sarcastic.

falar

• Omae
  • The Fourth Jesse
« Reply #14 on: <10-22-15/1606:44> »
Mostly sarcasm.

And I did end up going with Shock Gloves, but those use the Physical Limit as well for accuracy. Still waffling a bit on whether Shock Hand > Shock Gloves or not.