NEWS

Fantastic Non-SR Shadowrunesque Art Thread

• 2184 Replies

Black Sheep

• Newb
« Reply #405 on: <02-20-12/1329:30> »
Alright then.

A rat shaman, back when those were a thing (they might still be, I haven't read all of the magic sourcebooks).

Not specifically Shadowrun, but still Shadowrunesque.

Drew both of those earlier this month.

Angelone

• Ace Runner
  • A decent perfection
« Reply #406 on: <02-20-12/2140:15> »
Both of those are very nice. Great job.
REJOICE! For bad things are about to happen.
la vida no vale nada

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #407 on: <02-20-12/2201:30> »
There's still Totem Shamans, they're just not *REQUIRED* now, which fraks me off a bit.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Mercer

• Chummer
« Reply #408 on: <02-22-12/0313:51> »
If you're willing to dig around, there's some interesting stuff in the ImaginaryTechnology sub-reddit. 

snowRaven

• Newb
« Reply #409 on: <02-22-12/1312:45> »
There's still Totem Shamans, they're just not *REQUIRED* now, which fraks me off a bit.

Agreed! I still require totems (sorry - I meant Mentor Spirits of course) for any player who picks a magical tradition that should have them...

Black Sheep - those drawings are gorgeous!

Irian

• Omae
« Reply #410 on: <02-22-12/1409:23> »
As far as I know, "shamanism" is a pretty generic term, used to describe a wide range of beliefs, found all over the world. It's pretty likely that there can be shamans whichout something that would be considered a totem in Shadowrun. I'm not even sure if all native american tribes had/have totems.
GMTool - PreAlpha released (also on SourceForge)
Random Ramblings about Shadowrun (german only)

Black Sheep

• Newb
« Reply #411 on: <02-22-12/1708:22> »
Black Sheep - those drawings are gorgeous!

Thank you kindly.  ;D

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #413 on: <02-23-12/0132:05> »

Okay, I think this is probably the best "every-day life" example of a Sixth World citizen I've ever seen. Even the fact that it's an "obvious" cyber-arm makes sense... they're cheaper, so that's all the insurance is willing to pay for.
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

Mara

• Ace Runner
« Reply #414 on: <02-23-12/0215:39> »
Okay, I think this is probably the best "every-day life" example of a Sixth World citizen I've ever seen. Even the fact that it's an "obvious" cyber-arm makes sense... they're cheaper, so that's all the insurance is willing to pay for.

Insurance? What's that? He probably literally owes that to his Corp, and can expect it to be taken out of his wages for the
next 20 years or so....

JustADude

• Prime Runner
« Reply #415 on: <02-23-12/0426:31> »

Insurance? What's that? He probably literally owes that to his Corp, and can expect it to be taken out of his wages for the
next 20 years or so....

Actually, there are at least two mentions of insurance, just in "Corporate Guide". It mentions Saeder-Krupp having "full health-care" as part of their benefits package, and Wuxing having to pay out a huge number of health-insurance claims after the mess with Winternight and the EMP bombs, so the concept still exists.
« Last Edit: <02-23-12/0430:56> by JustADude »
― Albert Einstein

― Me

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #416 on: <02-23-12/0628:44> »
It is another way for the corps to get money from their citizens on a regular basis, while making them happier with corp life, even if they never use it. Ready made PR, and it keeps the wageslaves from jumping ship. Plus, if you get hurt, and your corp helps you recover with ware, then you're going to tell all your buddies about how the corp looked out for you, and blah, blah, blah.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Red

• Omae
  • Good plans load the dice. Good stories trump them.
« Reply #417 on: <02-23-12/0806:00> »
They never talk about it much, but consider software/hardware compatibilities with cyber. For your average runner, odds are you have a street doc who has the full selection and can probably use workarounds and hacks to get things working well. But for you average SINner, whose wageslave job pays in corpscrip mostly redeemable only in their corp's stores, they get cyber which is made by their corp, emblazoned with corp logos, and, when it breaks down, it can only be fixed in his employer's clinics. He wants upgrades? He pays their clinic. You keep your people close and dependent. Just imagine: you've got a fine Ares cyberarm. You decide to jump ship to Renraku. Oh dear! Your software is outdated? Your hardware needs replacement? You'll either pay WAY more as a Renraku employee going to an Ares clinic, or you'll pay WAY more for getting the damn thing replaced for a Renraku one. Or you'll pay WAY more for a cyberdoc to do it... which is not covered by your insurance. ;)

Vertical integration is a fact of the Sixth World.
"My writing is more akin to a cook than a farmer: give me the pieces, and what comes out of it is greater than the sum of it's parts. Give me nothing, and I just stare dumbly. It's a failing, but then, it's also a living."

ShadowSea, for my players.
http://shadowsea.webnode.com/

JustADude

• Prime Runner
« Reply #418 on: <02-23-12/0819:15> »
They never talk about it much, but consider software/hardware compatibilities with cyber. For your average runner, odds are you have a street doc who has the full selection and can probably use workarounds and hacks to get things working well. But for you average SINner, whose wageslave job pays in corpscrip mostly redeemable only in their corp's stores, they get cyber which is made by their corp, emblazoned with corp logos, and, when it breaks down, it can only be fixed in his employer's clinics. He wants upgrades? He pays their clinic. You keep your people close and dependent. Just imagine: you've got a fine Ares cyberarm. You decide to jump ship to Renraku. Oh dear! Your software is outdated? Your hardware needs replacement? You'll either pay WAY more as a Renraku employee going to an Ares clinic, or you'll pay WAY more for getting the damn thing replaced for a Renraku one. Or you'll pay WAY more for a cyberdoc to do it... which is not covered by your insurance. ;)

Honestly, though, for the average person in the real world, someone who isn't equipped to deal with the sharks, barracudas, hard times, and other nastiness of true freedom, it's a much better deal. These days corporations will dump you in a heartbeat for someone younger that they can pay less,  and they almost always promote from the outside. In the Sixth World they're milking you like a cow, sure, but they're also more invested in keeping you happy where you are.
― Albert Einstein

― Me

Red

• Omae
  • Good plans load the dice. Good stories trump them.
« Reply #419 on: <02-23-12/1021:31> »

Honestly, though, for the average person in the real world, someone who isn't equipped to deal with the sharks, barracudas, hard times, and other nastiness of true freedom, it's a much better deal. These days corporations will dump you in a heartbeat for someone younger that they can pay less,  and they almost always promote from the outside. In the Sixth World they're milking you like a cow, sure, but they're also more invested in keeping you happy where you are.

You are absolutely right. The system has to work, or else no one would play along to it. It looks like a good deal. Hell, for a lot of the people, it IS the good deal. I enjoy that the people on ShadowLand back in the day, and JackPoint today, used to say they must be crazy. It adds to the salty charm of the shadows. :)
"My writing is more akin to a cook than a farmer: give me the pieces, and what comes out of it is greater than the sum of it's parts. Give me nothing, and I just stare dumbly. It's a failing, but then, it's also a living."

ShadowSea, for my players.
http://shadowsea.webnode.com/