NEWS

Imaging Scopes for Mages

• 4 Replies

thanatos5150

• Newb
« on: <10-09-15/1327:26> »
I usually play as gunbunnies and adepts, so this little question came up when helping somebody design a character for a game I'm going to be GM'ing in the near future:
Imaging Scopes: do they count as digital or optical image magnification for the purpose of determining whether or not a spellcaster has Line of Sight?

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #1 on: <10-09-15/1406:22> »
Both types are available.

However, its the options that are going to determine this.

Some things, like thermographic, are a digital enhancement (so the mage couldn't use for targeting).

Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

thanatos5150

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <10-09-15/1501:57> »
However. if the Thermographic/Low Light vision isn't "on", could it still be considered just bent light, and therefore good for targeting?

I'm already planning on just hand-waving and saying "Image Link/Smart Link don't count for purposes of being digital and spoiling your sight",

Turkish

• Chummer
« Reply #3 on: <10-10-15/0039:40> »
Imaging Scopes: These are vision enhancers and display devices that are usually top-mounted on weapons (Firearm Accessories, p. 431).
5E Core book, pg 444

I would say that because you have to buy Binoculars as either or, not both, either the imaging scope is optical only (Vision Mag) or it is electronic only and can take enhancements like thermo and all the other fun stuff.  It would have the added bonus of being mountable on their gun, if they carry one.  I'd maybe knock the optical scope down to 100Y since it would follow the same pricing structure as the binoculars.
« Last Edit: <10-10-15/0042:23> by Turkish »

WillAsher

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Chummer
« Reply #4 on: <10-10-15/0808:16> »
Image link and Smartlinks are pretty much always Digital.  Image link is specifically projecting data/video digitally.  Smartlinks are usually data projected to improve your aim, which could just be a data overlay over your optical scope.  It would not allow you to aim around corners unless you have a fiberoptic line attached to it though.  Ignoring that could lead to your sniper providing video through the mage's image link so that he can manabolt some guy on the other side of a building...