NEWS

SR6 Character Creation question

• 19 Replies

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #15 on: <08-15-19/1505:59> »
From how it’s been described the keep net 20 makes sense to me. What I don’t get is why they would limit where you can spend it if they allow you to save it. Is it really that big of a issue to have to wait until after your first run before you get 4 spells or whatever.

Speaking to opinion:

I like that the magic priority selection has real bite... if you can't spend karma on spells you can't just pick Magic D and spend a bunch of karma to shore it up to match what someone who picked A will have.

That being said: my opinion isn't a formal ruling.

Imo it fails at that. It’s just annoying and you just play a less fun character for a couple sessions.  Losing out on attributes and skills is bite. Buying a few spells after char gen isn’t.

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #16 on: <08-17-19/1041:10> »

Speaking to opinion:

I like that the magic priority selection has real bite... if you can't spend karma on spells you can't just pick Magic D and spend a bunch of karma to shore it up to match what someone who picked A will have.

FWIW I agree.  Magic D is the 1rst Level D&D mage thats going to spend the next 4 runs just learning new spells.  The Magic A Mage is going to start initiating right away but will have given up something (Probably Attributes) to pick those spells up.

Also, it's not like 5 Adjustment points are free.  That's a C Metatype Priority.  So A Magic with E Metatype D Metatype, or D Magic and C Metatype to get Magic up to 6.

Edit: Derp, Edition Bleed.  A Magic still needs a D Metatype to get to 6 Magic without Karma. 
« Last Edit: <08-17-19/1518:20> by Hobbes »

markelphoenix

• Omae
« Reply #17 on: <08-31-19/0438:15> »

Speaking to opinion:

FWIW I agree.  Magic D is the 1rst Level D&D mage thats going to spend the next 4 runs just learning new spells.  The Magic A Mage is going to start initiating right away but will have given up something (Probably Attributes) to pick those spells up.

Also, it's not like 5 Adjustment points are free.  That's a C Metatype Priority.  So A Magic with E Metatype D Metatype, or D Magic and C Metatype to get Magic up to 6.

Edit: Derp, Edition Bleed.  A Magic still needs a D Metatype to get to 6 Magic without Karma.

Yeah, not a fan of how they handle Magic + Spells in CharGen.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #18 on: <08-31-19/0505:58> »
I like the active restriction, since it gives a big bite to the Magic Priority.

Mystics and Adepts got bungled though imo. I'm eagerly awaiting errata.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

penllawen

• Omae
  • Let's go. In and out. Twenty minute milk run.
« Reply #19 on: <08-31-19/0543:52> »
Same. I think it’s a conscious rebalancing of how powerful mages should be fresh out of chargen. I’d go further: put Magic 6 at the top of the priority chart, but forbid all increase to the magic stat from chargen attribute point or karma. I like it when players have to make difficult choices.

But admittedly I’m of the opinion that mages could use some nerf stick, and not everyone agrees with me on that.

Reduced caps on Magic and spell count can also be used to make mages meaningful in street level campaigns, unlike in SR5 where street level mages were no different to normal but street level cyber types were very constrained.