NEWS

Rep System: What should be done?

• 105 Replies

Black

• Ace Runner
  • Rocking the Shadows since 1990
« Reply #90 on: <09-17-12/1718:59> »
Thanks Fastjack. Myself, and most others here on the forum I am sure, really appreciate your efforts in both addressing this topic and your forum moderation efforts overall.  Part of what makes this forum great is your dedication, professionalism and sheer awesomeness!

Thank you!

Bryce aka Black
Perception molds reality
Change perception and reality will follow
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4+hb+++B?UB+IE+W+sa+m-gmM--P

Xzylvador

• Prime Runner
  • Ask me about NERPS! 30% Sales!
« Reply #91 on: <09-17-12/1739:05> »
Despite having voted "Trash it.", this feels like a loss and when/if it goes, I'll certainly miss it.
Fixing instead of removing it would have been far, far, FAR more preferable and I'm certain that if it had been an option, it'd have gotten all the votes.
But it's been explained why this isn't an option and I understand.

But thank you, FastJack, for proving me wrong when I said that the people behind the forum don't seem to care about the troubles of their audience/fans/customers/addicts here.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #92 on: <09-17-12/2127:17> »
I got my post count, I'm happy.  ;D
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

DarkLloyd

• Ace Runner
  • Stupidity this Good takes TEAMWORK.
« Reply #93 on: <09-17-12/2145:30> »
Sigh...... Oh well.
Runing the shadows since '90
If you can't Dazzle them with STYLE, Riddle them with BULLETS.
"Sometimes we do the right thing.  Sometimes we shoot people in the face for money."-CanRay
"Sometimes those are the same thing."-Mirikon

Missions Characters:
ChromeMonger - Sam
Blanco Diablo - Adept

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #94 on: <09-18-12/0315:42> »
Tch. Another case of the weak whining until they get the world to bend over for them, instead of working to get stronger in their own right.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #95 on: <09-18-12/0339:00> »
Tch. Another case of the weak whining until they get the world to bend over for them, instead of working to get stronger in their own right.

Dude, that was more than a little uncalled for. Just because the votes came out to get rid of the rep system doesn't mean you can make a blanket attack like that on everyone who voted that way.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

lurkeroutthere

• Omae
« Reply #96 on: <09-18-12/0346:53> »
Sounds like he's annoyed because some peoples over sensitivity got something taken away from everybody. While I certainly would have said it differently I agree with the sentiment.
"And if the options are "talk to him like a grown up" versus "LOLOLOL murder him in his face until he doesn't come back," I know which suggestion I'm making." - Critias

No team I'm on has ever had a problem with group think.

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #97 on: <09-18-12/0350:51> »
Sounds like he's annoyed because some peoples over sensitivity got something taken away from everybody. While I certainly would have said it differently I agree with the sentiment.

No, people abusing the system got it voted away. If people hadn't kept just saying "tough it out" or "ignore it" and had instead provided a united front against those who did abuse it, then it would not have come to the vote in the first place.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #98 on: <09-18-12/0436:01> »

Congratulations, you're a pair of internet tough-guys that can insult people from the safety of an anonymous screen-name and an unknown physical location. Guess what? I care exactly jack and diddly about what you think of me, or my dislike of the Rep system. All you are to me is two more mouthy, insecure little punks that are crying and pointing fingers because they don't get to go on a power-trip by Smiting people they don't like anymore.

Well, I've got a news flash for you: The vote's over, and it was 2:1 in favor of getting rid of it, which mean you're obviously in the minority as far as people who care enough about the forum to vote one way or another.

That also means, as of right now, you two are the ones whining and trying to get the world to bend over for you to bring the rep system back. So, how about you take your own advice, quit being oversensitive little "weaklings," and deal with it like a couple of adults instead of bitching and insulting everyone who disagrees with you like a couple tweenage brats.

--- --- ---

Oh, and by the way... by Mirikon's standard of "strong" everyone that's ever worked for peaceful social reform, from Ghandi to Martin Luther King, Jr, is "weak." After all, they're FAMOUS for "whining until the world bent over for them". Guess they should have sucked it up and "gotten stronger in their own right" by putting up with the bullshit they didn't like, or solved their problems by starting wars.

Yeah, a little hyperbolic, but shifting the scale to something that's harder for uncouth jerks to foo-foo helps illustrate the flaws in the principle behind the thought.
« Last Edit: <09-18-12/0455:03> by JustADude »
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #99 on: <09-18-12/0454:44> »
No, people abusing the system got it voted away. If people hadn't kept just saying "tough it out" or "ignore it" and had instead provided a united front against those who did abuse it, then it would not have come to the vote in the first place.
No, people whining that they were getting smites when they didn't think they deserved them is what got it taken away. Look back at all the threads dealing with this. A lot of it goes "Waah, I got smites even I hadn't posted in days" or "I got ten smites after making one post" or such drek. Never mind the fact that there is no telling who issued the smites, or what they were reading at the time. It is quite possible (and more likely, in fact) that instead of one person getting annoyed enough at a post to smite it ten times, you simply pissed ten people off by the tone of your post. And just because it has been days or weeks since your last post doesn't mean that people read them at the moment it was posted. But no, people like to jump to "I'm a victim".

That also means, as of right now, you two are the ones whining and trying to get the world to bend over for you to bring the rep system back.
Please, quote me someplace in my last message where I said that the popular vote should be overturned? Just because I dislike the outcome doesn't mean I'm going to demand that you count hanging chads. When you lose a vote in a democracy, your only choices are to live with it or start a revolution. And since I don't have anywhere near the kind of power to consider a revolution in this case, I'm going to live with it. That doesn't mean I have to like it.

Oh, and by the way... by Mirikon's standard of "strong" everyone that's ever worked for peaceful social reform, from Ghandi to Martin Luther King, Jr, is "weak." After all, they're FAMOUS for "whining until the world bent over for them". Guess they should have sucked it up and "gotten stronger in their own right" by putting up with the bullshit they didn't like, or solved their problems by starting wars.

Yeah, a little hyperbolic, but shifting the scale to something that's harder for uncouth jerks to foo-foo helps illustrate the flaws in the principle behind the thought.
The problem with hyperbole is that you lose context and rationality. Or in your case, just context.

There are many kinds of strength, Dude, and the fact that you're only able to recognize one of them is unfortunate. You want to know why Ghandi and MLK Jr. are strong? It is because they sat there, without complaining and made the world notice how they were being mistreated. They had the strength to take anything that was dished out at them, and keep moving forward. Never once did they claim that they were victims. That is one of the highest forms of strength. To have this strength, you must first look inside yourself, and get rid of your own weaknesses, otherwise you will break, and you'll lose.

Now compare that to the people here, who keep complaining about how many smites they've received, whining about how they are victims of abuse from mysterious others who must be chain-smiting them, when it could simply be that they pissed several people off, or made several posts that annoyed people. They don't look at themselves, they don't reflect as to whether they deserved the smites they've gotten. They simply complain that people on the internet don't like them, and so no one should be able to do anything to them because they might get their feelings hurt. Comparing mice like them to giants like Ghandi would be laughable, if it wasn't so tragic.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

shrike

• Chummer
  • The rep is dead. Long live the rep.
« Reply #100 on: <09-18-12/0516:18> »
Easy folks, there's no need for all this. I voted to get rid of the rep system even though I like it. It seems like it was causing more threads about it's abuse than it was worth. I'll be sad to see it go, mainly because it was a piece of window dressing that mirrored it's SR counter-part.
Imar heron. Imar raen. Imar semeraerth. Imar milessaratish. Miriat tela li? Thiesat tekio tore li?

JustADude

• Prime Runner
« Reply #101 on: <09-18-12/0519:18> »
*REDACTED*
« Last Edit: <09-18-12/0555:22> by JustADude »
― Albert Einstein

― Me

Black

• Ace Runner
  • Rocking the Shadows since 1990
« Reply #102 on: <09-18-12/0546:38> »
Let's not get this thread locked ok?  It would be easy for everyone to weigh into this 'debate' (lets pretend its still civilised), but the fact is that the vote was held and a decision reached.  There were only two options, and one of them won out.  Maybe in a different world, where more resources were available or whatever..

No need for arguing over something which is already done and dusted.
Perception molds reality
Change perception and reality will follow
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4+hb+++B?UB+IE+W+sa+m-gmM--P

JustADude

• Prime Runner
« Reply #103 on: <09-18-12/0554:44> »
Let's not get this thread locked ok?  It would be easy for everyone to weigh into this 'debate' (lets pretend its still civilised), but the fact is that the vote was held and a decision reached.  There were only two options, and one of them won out.  Maybe in a different world, where more resources were available or whatever..

No need for arguing over something which is already done and dusted.

Good point.

I'm redacting my last post, because I really should know better than to feed the trolls by now, no matter how good my rebuttal is.
« Last Edit: <09-18-12/0558:42> by JustADude »
― Albert Einstein

― Me

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #104 on: <09-18-12/1058:12> »
And.... thread is locked. Y'all picked the wrong f'ing day for this. Yellow (and possibly red) cards will be forthcoming once I'm back at my PC.