NEWS

Bone Lacing Vs Bone Augmentation

• 22 Replies

ARC

• Omae
« Reply #15 on: <12-11-11/0637:21> »
Sometimes, it isn't about either.  As mentioned before, the process for Lacing Bone has ceased by the people that have the liscencing for it.  they now do the Bone Augmentation.  so until someone can get a hold of that liscence, Bone Lacing is illegal.  Now if an enterprising Street Dock can hire some runners and find a why to get the liscensing... taa-daa
Living the Electronic Dream

Nath

• Omae
« Reply #16 on: <12-16-11/0434:50> »
As mentioned before, the process for Lacing Bone has ceased by the people that have the liscencing for it.
Note that was pure invention from my part. It is not an official explanation.

ARC

• Omae
« Reply #17 on: <12-18-11/0607:26> »
As mentioned before, the process for Lacing Bone has ceased by the people that have the liscencing for it.
Note that was pure invention from my part. It is not an official explanation.

Wow, then yeah there is no real reason.  hmmmmmm
Living the Electronic Dream

Fenris

• Newb
« Reply #18 on: <02-10-12/2320:04> »
Way late to the party on this one, but this always drove me nuts too. I do like that reasoning, though.

What I personally did was basically give it the same Availability as Bone Density all across the board if you want to get it in game. Yeah, it increased the lesser and decreased the greater but it works pretty nicely. What I did was make it Restricted instead, solely because it added armor. Basically, since some body armor is ideally licensed, I decided making it able to be licensed was a fair trade for the extra armor bonus you get from it. Prices are otherwise the same.

So people can choose between A. Less invasive, more expensive, but no armor bonus but essentially non detectable, or B. Cheaper, more invasive, detectable a bit easier, but you get a little natural armor bonus to carry around with you, but you need to scrounge a license for it.

But yeah, this is one that me and my buddies have discussed awhile, as it ALWAYS stuck out as being a little off.

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« Reply #19 on: <02-11-12/0606:02> »
Issue is, that since Bone density is Bioware, it is hardly detectable by scanners, so it has no significance to restrict it...it will pass anywhere but the closest examinations...which happens mostly on the autopsy table and means no further complications for runner ;)

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #20 on: <02-11-12/0822:43> »
So people can choose between A. Less invasive, more expensive, but no armor bonus but essentially non detectable...

Emphasis, of course, is mine.

You are quite right that it doesn't add armor to your character, but it does give you bonus dice equal to its rating on your Damage Resistance test. Basically, it can't be reduced with Armor Penetration, but it also doesn't count towards the Phys/Stun threshold either.
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

Fenris

• Newb
« Reply #21 on: <02-11-12/1135:07> »
Oh, it does-bone lacing does the same, depending on the level. Honestly it was one of those handwaves trying to figure why one was one way and one was the other. It would probably just be easier to make them both fully legal. Or something like that.

Or, well, Bone Density gives bonus dice to resist damage. Bone Lacing gives both bonus dice and armor(if you get ceramic, aluminum, or titanium.) Plastic gives the DR but no armor(Maybe Plastic should be outright legal, thinking about it), and Kevlar gives no resistance but armor(maybe that can just have Armor like availability or whatnot plus a couple for being hidden.) I know Plastic, Kevlar and Ceramic are very hard to detect.

Bone Density is really good, though. I mean...honestly for us this would be more for the game itself. We nix any Availability limits at the start anyway. But what is decided is that Bone Lacing is, at the very least, able to be licensed.

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #22 on: <02-11-12/1143:26> »
Oh, it does-bone lacing does the same, depending on the level. Honestly it was one of those handwaves trying to figure why one was one way and one was the other. It would probably just be easier to make them both fully legal. Or something like that.

Or, well, Bone Density gives bonus dice to resist damage. Bone Lacing gives both bonus dice and armor(if you get ceramic, aluminum, or titanium.) Plastic gives the DR but no armor(Maybe Plastic should be outright legal, thinking about it), and Kevlar gives no resistance but armor(maybe that can just have Armor like availability or whatnot plus a couple for being hidden.) I know Plastic, Kevlar and Ceramic are very hard to detect.

Bone Density is really good, though. I mean...honestly for us this would be more for the game itself. We nix any Availability limits at the start anyway. But what is decided is that Bone Lacing is, at the very least, able to be licensed.

That's yet another thing Bone Density has over Bone Lacing. If the GM isn't nixing Availability limits, you can't get Titanium Bone Lacing without Restricted Gear, whereas you can get Bone Density 4 without that quality.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen