NEWS

What are the rules regarding R-rated fanfics?

• 26 Replies

RowanTheFox

• Omae
« Reply #15 on: <08-25-16/1942:14> »
Shadowrun may be, yes, but the boards are not.

Can you point me towards where these forum rules are stated, because i have looked but not been able to find them?

On a personal note i agree that "fade to Black" in regards to sex scenes is probably the best way to handle it, but thats more because, long drawn out descriptions tend to become tedious and less interesting as they don't activate the imagination. Though it is funny and does say a lot about our morality standards that most societies today are much more accepting about graphical violence than they are about nudity and sex, which is the most natural thing in the World.......

That was my concern. The game is definitely NSFW, but I wasn't sure about the forum. I used to write erotic literature, so sex scenes are a bit of a specialty of mine. That said, I've gone with Wyrm's advice on that front.
It is better to be crazy and know it, than to be sane and have one's doubts.

"Nothing is wrong if no one can stop you."

Remember, you're only a genius when they need you. The rest of the time you're just an asshole.

Well, drek. Looks like Timmy fell into the Dissonance Well again.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #16 on: <08-28-16/1528:52> »
Can you point me towards where these forum rules are stated, because i have looked but not been able to find them?
No.  If you are really in that much need of rules and regulations about the seamier side of writing, PM the mods.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

RowanTheFox

• Omae
« Reply #17 on: <08-28-16/1549:27> »
No.  If you are really in that much need of rules and regulations about the seamier side of writing, PM the mods.

That was unnecessarily rude. If you are incapable of maintaining a modicum of courtesy in your replies on my posts, I politely request that you refrain from doing so.

Remember, you're only a genius when they need you. The rest of the time you're just an asshole.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
« Reply #18 on: <08-29-16/0125:35> »
That was unnecessarily rude. If you are incapable of maintaining a modicum of courtesy in your replies on my posts, I politely request that you refrain from doing so.

... also no.  While that reply was direct and blunt, it was not discourteous; nor was it replying to you, but to someone else who had a related inquiry within the thread you started.  To boot, it gave Rosa necessary information, as I do not have that information at my fingertips.  The moderators do; that's what they're for.  They know the limits to which they'll allow people to go, and in fact they should have been your first resource as well.
Pananagutan & End/Line

RowanTheFox

• Omae
« Reply #19 on: <08-29-16/0203:01> »

... also no.  While that reply was direct and blunt, it was not discourteous; nor was it replying to you, but to someone else who had a related inquiry within the thread you started.  To boot, it gave Rosa necessary information, as I do not have that information at my fingertips.  The moderators do; that's what they're for.  They know the limits to which they'll allow people to go, and in fact they should have been your first resource as well.

I know you weren't replying to me. You may have been direct and blunt, but being so came across as very rude. When I posted this, I was still very new to the boards, and didn't know the names of any of the moderators, nor could I find any resource where they were listed. So, in the hopes of one of them seeing it, I posted this thread. It's better to risk asking a stupid question and know for certain, than to not ask at all and remain ignorant.

VegasRigged

• Omae
« Reply #20 on: <12-16-16/0612:24> »

On a personal note i agree that "fade to Black" in regards to sex scenes is probably the best way to handle it, but thats more because, long drawn out descriptions tend to become tedious and less interesting as they don't activate the imagination. Though it is funny and does say a lot about our morality standards that most societies today are much more accepting about graphical violence than they are about nudity and sex, which is the most natural thing in the World.......

Fun fact, many, if not most places in the world do see it the other way around, America is a rarity in so openly embracing violence and decrying sex. Killing is entertainment fit even for young teens but the human body is shameful and should be hidden even as an adult. The more you know...

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
« Reply #21 on: <12-18-16/1335:31> »
... your point being?  Most of us already know this; a number of us are from other countries.  Giving us such a 'fun fact' implies ... judgement, perhaps?
Pananagutan & End/Line

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #22 on: <12-18-16/1644:27> »
How is it, exactly, that even this, of all threads, is getting snarky and passive-aggressive?

DeathofVirtue

• Chummer
  • Astral Ghost
« Reply #23 on: <12-18-16/1850:09> »

How is it, exactly, that even this, of all threads, is getting snarky and passive-aggressive?
*Sigh* yup, I try and stay away from threads taking that tone, it's contagious and only takes one person having a bad day to cause a knock on reaction.  Lets steer away from the whole thing and get back on subject.

In my opinion graphic violence of the type you list should be fine as long as you put a disclaimer at the top of the article.  Scenes of a more...  Intimate nature should probably fade to black as to my knowledge there is no age rating to this forum and things of a similar nature are usually considered innapropriate on this medium.  If you like you could leave a link to an uncensored version with a caution listing the kind of content it has.

Personally I'm not much for censorship but it's not my forum and minors may be present so it makes sense to play it safe.  In the absence of a mod speaking up it's a good middleground at least.

Because if I pass you I wont even leave a breeze.
If you search for me you won't find a trace.
What then do those seeking me say they found?
Nothing.
Zero is nothing.
I am Zero.
What better name for myself?
 -Zero on being asked where he got his name...

RowanTheFox

• Omae
« Reply #24 on: <12-23-16/1251:06> »
*Sigh* yup, I try and stay away from threads taking that tone, it's contagious and only takes one person having a bad day to cause a knock on reaction.  Lets steer away from the whole thing and get back on subject.

In my opinion graphic violence of the type you list should be fine as long as you put a disclaimer at the top of the article.  Scenes of a more...  Intimate nature should probably fade to black as to my knowledge there is no age rating to this forum and things of a similar nature are usually considered innapropriate on this medium.  If you like you could leave a link to an uncensored version with a caution listing the kind of content it has.

Personally I'm not much for censorship but it's not my forum and minors may be present so it makes sense to play it safe.  In the absence of a mod speaking up it's a good middleground at least.

A few folks have been snarky and passive-aggressive towards me since I first came up with the idea for my stories. They don't like that my main character isn't a "street-level" character, despite me never intending for her to be such. Water off a duck's back as far as I'm concerned. Can't please everyone. I have plenty of other street-level characters who get plenty of screen time in future stories and missions.

I used to write "literotica" so I've gotten good at fading to black without making it look or feel censored. I just wanted to know how far I could take it. Since no mods have responded, and there are underage kids here, I've played it safe.

DeathofVirtue

• Chummer
  • Astral Ghost
« Reply #25 on: <12-23-16/1517:37> »
  There will always people who will disagree with you over some issue or another, my point was more that it only takes one person being snarky and passive agressive to potentially turn an entire thread that way. 

Yeah, I had a few people take that tone with some of my sci-fi literature (Private un-published trilogy) when I killed a large portion of the main characters off at the end of the first novel, you can't please everyone and to try is folly.  Hell, life would be boring if we all liked the same things.

In the end it would be best if we ALL simmered down a bit before replying sometimes, we all use the community, no point getting caught up in petty bickering with people we will likely be encountering time and time again and in all likelyhood share a lot of common ground with, nothing good will come of it.
Because if I pass you I wont even leave a breeze.
If you search for me you won't find a trace.
What then do those seeking me say they found?
Nothing.
Zero is nothing.
I am Zero.
What better name for myself?
 -Zero on being asked where he got his name...

RowanTheFox

• Omae
« Reply #26 on: <12-23-16/1533:33> »
  There will always people who will disagree with you over some issue or another, my point was more that it only takes one person being snarky and passive agressive to potentially turn an entire thread that way. 

Yeah, I had a few people take that tone with some of my sci-fi literature (Private un-published trilogy) when I killed a large portion of the main characters off at the end of the first novel, you can't please everyone and to try is folly.  Hell, life would be boring if we all liked the same things.

In the end it would be best if we ALL simmered down a bit before replying sometimes, we all use the community, no point getting caught up in petty bickering with people we will likely be encountering time and time again and in all likelyhood share a lot of common ground with, nothing good will come of it.

Agreed.

I've gotten mostly positive reviews, which is encouraging. I'm open to criticism, as long as that criticism is constructive. I'm always trying to improve my writing and storytelling abilities, so telling me you don't like it because you just don't isn't helpful. That said, much of the feedback I've received has been helpful, and the little world I'm building has become deeper, more detailed, and more "alive" as a result.

This community has done so much for me in that regard, despite its problems.