NEWS

What are the rules regarding R-rated fanfics?

• 26 Replies

RowanTheFox

• Omae
« on: <07-22-16/1522:35> »
The first story of the trilogy I'm working on is definitely PG-13, with minor cursing, and graphic depictions of violence. The second and third stories are significantly less family friendly, so I was wondering if I'm even allowed to post them on this forum if I include a warning.
It is better to be crazy and know it, than to be sane and have one's doubts.

"Nothing is wrong if no one can stop you."

Remember, you're only a genius when they need you. The rest of the time you're just an asshole.

Well, drek. Looks like Timmy fell into the Dissonance Well again.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #1 on: <07-23-16/0009:56> »
"If the mods don't like it, they'll tell you in no uncertain terms."
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

RowanTheFox

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <07-23-16/0037:17> »
"If the mods don't like it, they'll tell you in no uncertain terms."

Yea, but I'm not really one for making waves. I'd rather not learn what they don't like the hard way. Is there anything that is an absolute no-no?

Remember, you're only a genius when they need you. The rest of the time you're just an asshole.

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #3 on: <07-23-16/0554:11> »
If it's just a language issue that has you worried, I've got "shit" and "fuck" and that sort of thing in, y'know, actual published novels and stuff, so I wouldn't be too worried.

RowanTheFox

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <07-23-16/1003:10> »
If it's just a language issue that has you worried, I've got "shit" and "fuck" and that sort of thing in, y'know, actual published novels and stuff, so I wouldn't be too worried.

There's also graphic violence, and in the sequel there is both consensual sex and brief sexual assault. Which is why I'd post a warning no matter what.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <07-24-16/0526:44> »
'Fade to black' is your friend - as is 'graphic details not required'.
Pananagutan & End/Line

RowanTheFox

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <07-25-16/1334:20> »
'Fade to black' is your friend - as is 'graphic details not required'.

Here's a taste of what I'm talking about. Nip is an incredibly important person in the main character's life. He's the one who taught her how to use her magic, and has been a dear friend and mentor to her. This takes place near the very end of the second story, and Nip is in his late 90's at this point. (Note: He's a human cat shaman)

WARNING: GRAPHIC

[spoiler]Nip sat at his desk, perusing over an old tome Ehran had permitted him to borrow. He suddenly felt a dark presence behind him. He closed the tome and sat back in his overstuffed chair.

"I know who you are, and why you are here." He spoke calmly, and leaned his head back. "Go ahead. I'm an old man, and I am ready to die."

Vestrial produced a vicious looking dagger from under his black cloak and stepped forward, his mouth twisted in a cruel grin. He held Nip's chin gently, and plunged his blade into the old shaman's chest. Nip let out an involuntary gasp as the air was forced from his lungs.

"Your beloved student defied me. You will suffer greatly for her arrogance." The mad passion hissed.

Nip's body went limp, and the blood red gem on the pommel of the dagger flashed. The roman numeral tattoo on his forearm changed from VII to VI. Nip's body twitched and blood spewed from his mouth before going limp once more. The gem flashed again.

V

Again his body twitched, and again the gem flashed.

IV

Nip's eyes flickered open and stared up at Vestrial in fear and pain, then stared into nothingness. The gem flashed.

III

He blinked, and emitted a gargled moan. The gem flashed.

II

Blood sprayed from his mouth and across the desk as his body spasmed once more. The gem flashed.

Nip's jaw went lax, and his eyes dulled. The gem flashed one last time, and the tattoo faded away.[/spoiler]

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <07-25-16/1459:40> »
I don't know about the moderators, but that seemed acceptable to my mind. Not all that graphic, compared to a lot of popular media today at least.

RowanTheFox

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <07-25-16/1528:59> »
I don't know about the moderators, but that seemed acceptable to my mind. Not all that graphic, compared to a lot of popular media today at least.

Ok, good. That's the most graphic death of all three stories.

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #9 on: <07-25-16/1608:59> »
Yeah, seriously.  Just write your stuff and share it.  You're fine. 

RowanTheFox

• Omae
« Reply #10 on: <07-25-16/1706:03> »
Ok, good. I'm used to forums with MUCH stricter rules about depictions of violence, so I just wanted to be absolutely sure that I wouldn't step on a big dog's paw and get pummled by the banhammer. 

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
« Reply #11 on: <08-25-16/0201:16> »
This is Shadowrun; we openly talk about shooting people in the face.  (Sometimes for money; sometimes because it's the right thing.  But it's still shooting people in the face.  :P  )  Violence is fine unless you dwell most lovingly on each and every excruciating blood-and-guts detail.  Sex ... like I said, fade to black.  ;)
Pananagutan & End/Line

Rosa

• Omae
« Reply #12 on: <08-25-16/0319:58> »
Shadowrun is one of the most adult themed RPG's out there, the published materials deals with Things like violence, drug use, sex, crime...etc. I remember seeing prices for both high end and low end sexual services on some of the old "Cost of living tables" they used back in 1-3rd edition setting books, and the core rulebook used to have a section about how GM's should agree with their players before playing what kind of adult themes were ok to include in the game, since there are so many ( i can't remember if that section is still in the 5th edition ). So in essence unless you start writing about Things like graphically describing child abuse, then you're good.

Anyways, just put a dsclaimer before your story and it should be fine, then people can choose if they wanna read it. In my personal opinion though, thats not even necessary, as i said SR is an inherently adult themed game.
« Last Edit: <08-25-16/0326:13> by Rosa »

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
« Reply #13 on: <08-25-16/0357:55> »
Shadowrun may be, yes, but the boards are not.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Rosa

• Omae
« Reply #14 on: <08-25-16/0831:11> »
Shadowrun may be, yes, but the boards are not.

Can you point me towards where these forum rules are stated, because i have looked but not been able to find them?

On a personal note i agree that "fade to Black" in regards to sex scenes is probably the best way to handle it, but thats more because, long drawn out descriptions tend to become tedious and less interesting as they don't activate the imagination. Though it is funny and does say a lot about our morality standards that most societies today are much more accepting about graphical violence than they are about nudity and sex, which is the most natural thing in the World.......