NEWS

Fave Heavy Weapon?

• 41 Replies

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« on: <03-12-19/1248:47> »
So, the 'run has gone to drek, or the ork merc has gotten bored and decided to make the 'run more fun, and the big guns come out.

What is your favorite heavy weapon to pull out and make some noise?

Note:  Troll fists and Trollbows don't count, as those are unarmed and archery, not heavy weapons.  Even if they do enough damage to count as a heavy weapon.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

adzling

« Reply #1 on: <03-12-19/1329:57> »
miniguns, especially with the German/ Pegasus rule for staging up damage when you reduce the defender's dodge pool below zero and our house rule that miniguns fire 20 rounds be burst.

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <03-12-19/1429:55> »
Semi automatic grenade launcher.
Nothing says "frag you" like a three round burst of HE grenades for a combined AOE damage of 32 AP -4
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #3 on: <03-12-19/1500:11> »
Semi automatic grenade launcher.
Nothing says "frag you" like a three round burst of HE grenades for a combined AOE damage of 32 AP -4
What you meant to say is full auto grenade launcher. Because nothing says "frag you" like a ten round burst with HE grenades. Into an enclosed space.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

fseperent

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <03-12-19/1604:46> »
Give me the Thunderstruck.
Headshots are fun.

Ajax

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <03-12-19/1611:58> »
I’m partial to the Aztechnology Striker.

Yeah, it doesn’t have the “rock’n’roll” aspect of a heavy machine gun or assault cannon. But, at ¥1,200 for the launcher and, say, ¥3-4,000 for a missile (depending on sensors) you’re looking at something almost any ‘runner with a dozen runs under their belt can afford to buy and then stash in a smuggler’s compartment. Brings a whole new meaning to the idea of a “truck gun.”

It’s also cheap enough that you can drop it and walk away, if necessary.
Evil looms. Cowboy up. Kill it. Get paid.

kyoto kid

• Omae
  • Bushido Cowgirl
« Reply #6 on: <03-13-19/0320:43> »
...Ruhrmetall SF-20 HMG loaded with a 100 round belt of EXEX handload.

Hmm, wasn't there a person where that pink cloud is now?

Of course Leela just loves her "double barrelled" Onotari Arms Interceptor.
« Last Edit: <03-13-19/0324:56> by kyoto kid »
Forsaken daughter is watching you

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Sheltering Orks in Osaka
« Reply #7 on: <03-13-19/0331:58> »
How can Trolls not count!?!
From a more serious stance - Rotary Autocannons from back in Rigger Black Book. Or just the Vindicator minigun.
I’ve been thinking to cook up an Ork using one for ages.
If Tom Brady’s a Spike Baby, what does that make Brees and Rodgers?

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #8 on: <03-13-19/1259:50> »
So, the 'run has gone to drek, or the ork merc has gotten bored and decided to make the 'run more fun, and the big guns come out.

Note:  Troll fists and Trollbows don't count, as those are unarmed and archery, not heavy weapons.  Even if they do enough damage to count as a heavy weapon.
My favourite 'heavy' weapon is a Barrett. =P But real heavy weapon I am going to side with kyoto kid. That buys you 5 IPs of Suppressive Fire at a damage level that hurts like hell, or one completely-vaporised target.

Of course the best heavy weapon is a bag with 10 HE grenades inside, preferably made invisible or in a Ruthenium Coating bag. Explode simultanously and vaporise even an Insect Dragon.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #9 on: <03-13-19/1322:18> »
Big #DV is Big #DV, but it is indeed hard to surpass the utility/flexibility in a fully automatic MMG/HMG.

If assault cannons inflicted AoE damage, they'd be a contender.  As is, they're just massively overpriced Sniper Rifles :(
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Ghost Rigger

• Omae
« Reply #10 on: <03-13-19/1415:03> »
I have a thing for the Stoner-Ares M-22A1, it's one of those few gems from the otherwise schwarbage Street Lethal. Yes, it's starts off with a low-ish accuracy of 4(6) and a recoil of +6, which is especially bad for heavy weapons because they suffer double uncompensated recoil. But you can easily fix that with the right accessories and you're supposed to be putting it on a vehicle anyways. It's a small price to pay for what you get: 18P AP -6 (getting shot by this gun is literally equivalent to getting hit by a stock Ares Roadmaster going at top speed), Full Auto, HMG ranges, a built in smartgun system and the option to use special ammunition types.

Honestly, it just shits on all the other heavy weapon options. Other machine guns? All virgins compared to the Chad MA Deuce. And before the minigun crowd utters a "but muh Vindicator", stop. My quality beats your quantity. Grenade launchers? More like teamkilling jackasses, am I right?  Rocket Launchers? Half of them are one-use only, the other half are gimmicky and they all spend 2k or more per shot. Assault cannons? Sniper rifles with special ammo are better in every way. Laser weapons? Nice AP, too bad the atmosphere turns them into oversized laser pointers. Ares Thunderstruck Gauss Cannon? Not bad, call me back when it's got FA and a better damage profile.

My other favorite heavy weapon is my Roadmaster's ram plate, but I'm sure you know all about that.
After all you don't send an electrician to fix your leaking toilet.

A Guide to Gridguide

kyoto kid

• Omae
  • Bushido Cowgirl
« Reply #11 on: <03-13-19/1827:19> »

My favourite 'heavy' weapon is a Barrett. =P But real heavy weapon I am going to side with kyoto kid. That buys you 5 IPs of Suppressive Fire at a damage level that hurts like hell, or one completely-vaporised target.

Of course the best heavy weapon is a bag with 10 HE grenades inside, preferably made invisible or in a Ruthenium Coating bag. Explode simultanously and vaporise even an Insect Dragon.
...a 208 L FAE does a nice job on a bug dragon as well. Just make sure all your chummers and other allies are at least 215 meters from ground zero and definitely not within the 146 metre central blast zone where the damage is a constant 78 DV throughout.

Ghost Rigger

• Omae
« Reply #12 on: <03-13-19/2002:23> »
...a 208 L FAE does a nice job on a bug dragon as well. Just make sure all your chummers and other allies are at least 215 meters from ground zero and definitely not within the 146 metre central blast zone where the damage is a constant 78 DV throughout.
I'm sorry. Are you packing mini-nukes, or just MOABs?
After all you don't send an electrician to fix your leaking toilet.

A Guide to Gridguide

kyoto kid

• Omae
  • Bushido Cowgirl
« Reply #13 on: <03-13-19/2054:31> »
...no nukes that stuff's toxic and parts of the CZ still have a high rad count.

More like this:

Cinematic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lO2-YxWkRxk

Real:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmRASCHJe2Q

Leela had one at the ready to be dropped by a drone but the troops and a couple of her chummers were too close to the target for her to use it.
« Last Edit: <03-13-19/2102:51> by kyoto kid »

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #14 on: <03-13-19/2213:06> »
An Irish Terrorist NPC had a city transit bus that was effectively an improvised one of those.

The fact that the rest of the Irishmen were scared of the damned thing should have tipped off the group that it wasn't something to play with, but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, they had to play with the 'splody-bus.

Luckily, it was "disarmed" by some Lone Star cops with a shotgun.  They shot the windows out.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11