NEWS

Adjustable Rating Skillsoft

• 8 Replies

JackVII

• Prime Runner
  • Ah-ah... Temper, Temper
« on: <01-31-14/1523:22> »
Looking for opinions here. Since the rules don't say anything about it, I think the default answer is that skillsoft have to be loaded at their rating. I'm looking for opinions on what problems may result from allowing skillsoft users to slot their skillsoft at a lower rating than at what they were purchased.

Pro: Able to slot a greater diversity of skillsoft
Con: That diversity of skills will be at a lower rating

Thougths?
|DTG|Place|Address in Brackets
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

Dakka

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <01-31-14/1536:13> »
Interesting thought.  I'd say maybe a Software + Logic [Mental] simple test to adjust the rating.  Maybe a threshold of the rating difference you want, so making a 6 into a 2 is much harder than making a 4 into a 2.  They have a max rating of the rating it was purchased at obviously, and the skill test will limit the amount of potential abuse. 

martinchaen

« Reply #2 on: <02-02-14/1247:30> »
You could also rule it like programs were in SR4; try to run a R6 program on a Response and System 2 commlink, and the program will run at R2. Simple!

JackVII

• Prime Runner
  • Ah-ah... Temper, Temper
« Reply #3 on: <02-02-14/1308:52> »
You could also rule it like programs were in SR4; try to run a R6 program on a Response and System 2 commlink, and the program will run at R2. Simple!
Yeah, that's where I got the initial thought. Since there are certain types of modern software that allow you to install lighter versions or reduce some of the performance settings to run on lower end machines that Skillsoft might allow you to do it as well.
|DTG|Place|Address in Brackets
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <02-03-14/0009:51> »
There was a program option for this in SR4 as I recall, but it was not possible by default.  I don't see why it wouldn't continue to be some sort of special functionality.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #5 on: <02-03-14/0532:39> »
The SR4 Program Option was for letting a weaker device run a higher rating program, which is kind of the opposite and no longer an SR5 thing, and I don't think it was available for Skillsofts.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <02-03-14/0539:38> »
*checks*

Actually, the Adaptive Scale option did explicitly allow for the reduction in effective rating to free up space.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #7 on: <02-03-14/0546:54> »
Ah, completely missed that one. Interesting, then it should be possible at a price.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #8 on: <02-19-14/0707:55> »
K.I.S.S:

Charge them 10% more, for an "adaptive" skillsoft that allows them to adjust it's rating on an as needed basis....

like you said: they are shelling out for a higher rated program then what they want to use it at.... so really, they are either boning themselves (wasting money) or they are being  thoughtful and planning ahead (a skillsoft program jacked to the max for that "oh shit" moment)

charge them a little bit more to give it the option, so the added versatility VS added cost becomes a deciding factor. 105 more is not too much more to ask for just such  a function.
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.