NEWS

smoking is bad for your gaming.

• 69 Replies

Kat9

« Reply #45 on: <12-24-12/0223:51> »
 8) Pretty sure it was just stupidity...I mean really..

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #46 on: <12-24-12/0226:49> »
Of course, to the OP's original post, something to think about is that: It does not matter whether the guy was
smoking inside or out, whoever it was is guilty of, at the very least, criminal negligence, if not attempted arson.
Hence why I asked if the store video cameras(something I am assuming most FLGS have based on the fact that
they are prone to being vandalized by the "Religious Right" and broken into over recent years) caught the guy
so they could press charges. Regardless, the store would have to, now, even if not in a state that prohibits
public smoking(which is what surprised me: that there WERE still any that allowed it), prohibit smoking inside
just because of this one person's stupidity/malice.

It would more than likely be up to the store owner whether or not to go that far just like it would be up to said owner whether or not to push any "criminal negligence" charge or anything of the sort. (Though if the store owner rents, the building owner could as well.)
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

Kat9

« Reply #47 on: <12-24-12/0228:27> »
Depends on the laws. For example where I live even if its consensual, if a spouse shows up for a hospital exam and the doctor notices say...rope burns...it gets reported to the police and even without the person requesting it, charges are filed.

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #48 on: <12-24-12/0240:31> »
Depends on the laws. For example where I live even if its consensual, if a spouse shows up for a hospital exam and the doctor notices say...rope burns...it gets reported to the police and even without the person requesting it, charges are filed.

Yeah, but that's because in cases of abuse the victim won't generally be honest about where the injuries came from - so laws are often written that require doctors to report possible signs.  Once it's been reported, overzealous officers or just those who've seen one too many cases where that WAS what was going on wind up pushing the paperwork through farther than it necessarily should have gotten.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Black

• Ace Runner
  • Rocking the Shadows since 1990
« Reply #49 on: <12-24-12/0314:03> »
Automobile emissions (even modern ones) are far worse. Do you want to start limiting where people can drive now?

You have not paid attention to set backs of business entrances from parking lots lately, have you? This is for two
reasons: to have a space 25 feet from the building for people to smoke and to put the businesses away from
the higher emissions of automobiles.  Most new businesses have to be off set a good bit from the roads, as well.

Doesn't America have laws about car emissions?  Australia does and I would have thought america did as well.

Anyway...  will have to see that movie...
Perception molds reality
Change perception and reality will follow
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4+hb+++B?UB+IE+W+sa+m-gmM--P

Mara

• Ace Runner
« Reply #50 on: <12-24-12/0428:54> »
Automobile emissions (even modern ones) are far worse. Do you want to start limiting where people can drive now?

You have not paid attention to set backs of business entrances from parking lots lately, have you? This is for two
reasons: to have a space 25 feet from the building for people to smoke and to put the businesses away from
the higher emissions of automobiles.  Most new businesses have to be off set a good bit from the roads, as well.

Yeah, we do. Some states and counties also put further laws into effect, like set backs from roads more then just
the shoulder and utility easement.

Doesn't America have laws about car emissions?  Australia does and I would have thought america did as well.

Anyway...  will have to see that movie...

FuelDrop

• Omae
  • Popping stims, it's time to go to work.
« Reply #51 on: <12-24-12/0624:50> »
Of course, to the OP's original post, something to think about is that: It does not matter whether the guy was
smoking inside or out, whoever it was is guilty of, at the very least, criminal negligence, if not attempted arson.
Hence why I asked if the store video cameras(something I am assuming most FLGS have based on the fact that
they are prone to being vandalized by the "Religious Right" and broken into over recent years) caught the guy
so they could press charges. Regardless, the store would have to, now, even if not in a state that prohibits
public smoking(which is what surprised me: that there WERE still any that allowed it), prohibit smoking inside
just because of this one person's stupidity/malice.

This is more or less the point, with the secondary point that we need to take care of our gaming dens lest they cease to exist. Which would be sad. And I believe the rule was (may be changing now) that if you're going to smoke you have to do it near the open garage door, preferably outside. (Our local hangout is a converted psudo-industrial unit. The 'office' is where the products are sold, while the 'workshop/garage' has been converted into a massive gaming area. suffice to say it rocks, and it would have sucked big-time to lose it. We're just lucky that concrete doesn't burn very well...)

EDIT: A picture of the burning bin in question. It would appear to be the one just outside the shop, which would explain why there was no further damage.
« Last Edit: <12-24-12/0636:01> by FuelDrop »
"When in doubt, C4" - Mythbusters. As true in 2070 as when it was first spoken.

"You're wearing WHAT?" - Group reaction when our street sam walked into a meet wearing light military armour.

Xzylvador

• Prime Runner
  • Ask me about NERPS! 30% Sales!
« Reply #52 on: <12-24-12/0803:21> »
It would more than likely be up to the store owner whether or not to go that far just like it would be up to said owner whether or not to push any "criminal negligence" charge or anything of the sort. (Though if the store owner rents, the building owner could as well.)

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

Funnily enough, this could probably be applied both to the guy who caused the fire and to pretty much everyone who's taking the same stance that you appear to be taking on 'smoker's rights'.

FuelDrop

• Omae
  • Popping stims, it's time to go to work.
« Reply #53 on: <12-24-12/0829:29> »

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

At least not the first time. If it keeps happening then malice becomes a solid explanation. Also, the term 'Malicious Stupidity' exists for a reason.
"When in doubt, C4" - Mythbusters. As true in 2070 as when it was first spoken.

"You're wearing WHAT?" - Group reaction when our street sam walked into a meet wearing light military armour.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #54 on: <12-24-12/0917:22> »
THIS IS AN OFFICIAL WARNING: Stay off the topic of smokers/non-smokers rights or the thread will get locked and people will get warnings

PeterSmith

• Ace Runner
« Reply #55 on: <12-24-12/0925:11> »
EDIT: A picture of the burning bin in question. It would appear to be the one just outside the shop, which would explain why there was no further damage.

Cardboard sure burns purdy. Corrugated moreso, those ridges create channels for air to move through very well. I remember years ago in Scouts we managed to get fire shooting about twenty feet out of a fifteen foot chimney purely with corrugated cardboard.
Power corrupts.
Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Peter Smith has the deadest of deadpans and a very sly smile, making talking to him a fun game of keeping up and slinging the next subtle zinger." - Jason M. Hardy, 3 August 2015

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #56 on: <12-24-12/1305:01> »
I remember years ago in Scouts we managed to get fire shooting about twenty feet out of a fifteen foot chimney purely with corrugated cardboard.

*hysterical laughter*
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #57 on: <12-24-12/1432:47> »
A friend of mine bragged how she smoked once.

She is a severe burn victim.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Kat9

« Reply #58 on: <12-24-12/1528:10> »
A friend of mine bragged how she smoked once.

She is a severe burn victim.

That's hot.

Smileinbob

• Newb
« Reply #59 on: <12-24-12/2033:41> »
Not trying to bring the previous battle back up, but in the spirit of the heavy handed anti smoking laws, New York City has gone above and beyond and banned restaurants from selling sugary drinks larger that 16oz, in an effort to combat obesity. Never underestimate some peoples resolve to try to run your life for you....