NEWS

smoking is bad for your gaming.

• 69 Replies

FuelDrop

• Omae
  • Popping stims, it's time to go to work.
« on: <12-23-12/1833:48> »
This is a PSA: last night an unwisely stubbed cigarette almost lead to the destruction of my local gaming store in a ball of flames. Fortunately a crisis was averted by almost pure luck, and no people or important property were damaged as the fire was contained in a bin full of cardboard boxes. However the lesson remains: DO NOT STUB OUT YOUR CIGARETTES IN BINS FULL OF CARDBOARD!!!

Thank you for viewing this FuelDrop Public Service Announcement.
"When in doubt, C4" - Mythbusters. As true in 2070 as when it was first spoken.

"You're wearing WHAT?" - Group reaction when our street sam walked into a meet wearing light military armour.

Kat9

« Reply #1 on: <12-23-12/1854:12> »
Go outside to smoke.

Black

• Ace Runner
  • Rocking the Shadows since 1990
« Reply #2 on: <12-23-12/1921:12> »
People still smoke?
Perception molds reality
Change perception and reality will follow
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4+hb+++B?UB+IE+W+sa+m-gmM--P

FuelDrop

• Omae
  • Popping stims, it's time to go to work.
« Reply #3 on: <12-23-12/1924:31> »
People still smoke?
Depends on how long you douse them with the flamethrower.
"When in doubt, C4" - Mythbusters. As true in 2070 as when it was first spoken.

"You're wearing WHAT?" - Group reaction when our street sam walked into a meet wearing light military armour.

Valnar

• Chummer
« Reply #4 on: <12-23-12/2131:42> »

It's called an ashtray.
Our best scientists and engineers put all of their wits and years of hard work into creating this fine masterpiece of complex fire preventing safety technology. Behold the artistry of it's design and production. Admire the way it simplifies waste removal. Witness it's tested and proven efficiency.
Closely observe and learn about this amazing top notch technology, just waiting to be employed in the home of every smoker and any other places where smoking is officially allowed.
Use it's amazing power to have a decent chance of not making any of those places resemble Dresden back in 1945.
It's light weight, easy to move around, easy to clean.
You can use it for cigarettes, cigars, pipe tobacco, joints, incense, joss sticks, pictures of people you hate.
It comes in many shapes, sizes, colors and materials, have your pick.
Order now and get "not burned to death" for free!
Call 555-COMMONSENSE to place your Order.
« Last Edit: <12-23-12/2138:16> by Valnar »

Mara

• Ace Runner
« Reply #5 on: <12-23-12/2250:41> »
People still smoke?

People are still allowed to smoke inside public places?

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <12-23-12/2255:16> »
People still smoke?

Not as many places as should be, but there are some left. Smokers have just as much right to smoke inside a place as a non-smoker has not to, and honestly, IMO, if someone is that "offended" by smoking then they shouldn't be going to public places--because in public places one should have to deal with the entire public and not just those who happen to agree with whatever bias they have.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

Mara

• Ace Runner
« Reply #7 on: <12-23-12/2304:14> »
People still smoke?

Not as many places as should be, but there are some left. Smokers have just as much right to smoke inside a place as a non-smoker has not to, and honestly, IMO, if someone is that "offended" by smoking then they shouldn't be going to public places--because in public places one should have to deal with the entire public and not just those who happen to agree with whatever bias they have.

If you want to smoke in public...smoke outside, 25 feet from a building entrance as required by law....at least in Florida.
Personally, I hope the OPs FLGS got the guy on their video feeds, so they can press charges for Attempted Arson.

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <12-23-12/2317:52> »
Again, smokers have just as much right to smoke as non-smokers have not to, and again, if they're that "offended" by someone smoking then they can take their sorry little rear-ends to their own homes (the only place where they honestly have the right to say anything about it).

Kat9

« Reply #9 on: <12-23-12/2324:25> »
Again, smokers have just as much right to smoke as non-smokers have not to, and again, if they're that "offended" by someone smoking then they can take their sorry little rear-ends to their own homes (the only place where they honestly have the right to say anything about it).

As someone who actually has a non-smoking related lung disease, when I am inside a place with smoke it causes me trouble breathing for quite some time after the visit. So smokers that get their pants in a knot can take their fat 'Murika butts home where they can smoke without silly people that care about their health asking them to not foul the air they have to breathe.

Forum lock? Sure sounds great.
« Last Edit: <12-23-12/2327:07> by Kat9 »

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #10 on: <12-23-12/2342:47> »

And I should have just as much right to spray you with something like, say, DDT or Agent Orange every time you take a puff.  Sound like a fair trade?  After all, they're both proven carcinogens.

Cigarette smoke is disgusting.  It seeps into your clothes and everything else around you.  If you're around it enough, it will stain things a yellowish color. It smells awful. And, hey, causes cancer. 

I have zero sympathy for smokers who are "forced" to not smoke in public places.  If you want to smoke in the privacy of your own home, where you're not ruining my clothes, my books, and my lungs?  Feel free.  Do it all you want. But when you're inflicting that crap on other people?  Yeah.

Like I said.  You bring your cigarettes, and I'll bringa  super soaker full of DDT.  Sounds like a fair trade.

Bull

Snake Eyes

• Chummer
  • I am the Matrx
« Reply #11 on: <12-23-12/2355:13> »
People still smoke?
Depends on how long you douse them with the flamethrower.
;D Nice one FuelDrop
Knowledge is power, guard it well.

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #12 on: <12-24-12/0001:13> »

Actually, they're impacting other people's health and well-being, and therefore do not.  It's not a matter of being offended - a severe asthmatic isn't "offended" by people smoking around them, they are directly physiologically affected by it.  A person who gets cancer from second-hand smoke isn't "offended" by it, their life is threatened by it.

But I guess in your world, smoking is a more important right than free speech?

Also, can I just say that I find it hilarious that a thread about almost burning down a gaming store was started by someone named FuelDrop?
« Last Edit: <12-24-12/0003:26> by RHat »
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #13 on: <12-24-12/0010:28> »

Actually, they're impacting other people's health and well-being, and therefore do not.  It's not a matter of being offended - a severe asthmatic isn't "offended" by people smoking around them, they are directly physiologically affected by it.  A person who gets cancer from second-hand smoke isn't "offended" by it, their life is threatened by it.

But I guess in your world, smoking is a more important right than free speech?

Also, can I just say that I find it hilarious that a thread about almost burning down a gaming store was started by someone named FuelDrop?

I know, I know...
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #14 on: <12-24-12/0022:51> »
It's just yet another sign of modern society pretty much becoming a "society of victims".

Just because you choose not to smoke, doesn't mean I should have to kow-tow to you and have to stand in the heat or cold (depending on season) to have a cigarette.