Gear Request from player

• 108 Replies

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #15 on: <02-22-11/1146:38> »
"My very first pistol was a cap and ball Colt
Shoot as fast as lightnin' but it loads a mite slow" - Devil's Right Hand, Steve Earle
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

savaze

• Omae
  • I'm a zombie/quadriplegic hybrid
« Reply #16 on: <02-22-11/1550:16> »
Can a pistol really handle that kinda stress, long term?  The thing has got to fall apart after a use or two.
Depending on what materials the frame is made out of you could see cracking on the crane, just south of the forcing cone.  As an example S&W's new models have been reported to crack, in the above mentioned spot, for rounds that produce higher pressure (magnum, +p).  That's because S&W started using an alloy to make the revolvers lighter.

The Super Warhawk is based off of the Ruger Super Redhawk (the Super Blackhawk is a single action hunting revolver so I don't think it based off of that model).  Revolvers are heavy duty and simple in mechanics, but they are engineered to fire whatever they've been chambered for.  In this case the Redhawk is based off an 'N' frame, which is designed to shoot hunting sized calibers, like the .44 Magnum/.454 Casull.  So ultimately the GM needs to decide if the High Power Chambering is scaled up beyond what the frame is designed to shoot.  IRL the Redhawk is already at the top end of what the frame can handle, but who knows what it's designed to do in the Warhawk. 

I would make the call that they would need a frame rebuild to handle the scaling up in ammo (the whole point of the Ruger Super series is to handle the largest caliber round for the largest frame).  Another example would be like trying to modernize a .45 ACP cartridge from black powder standards, which is where it is still IRL, to current capabilities.  The pistol would have a catastrophic failure in your face if you fired it without a total rebuild to handle the new characteristics.  The cylinder I wouldn't worry about as much, because they are designed for HIGH pressures, but I still wouldn't fire it under water (there was only ever one revolver designed to fire under water and it wasn't a mainstream weapon).
« Last Edit: <02-22-11/1555:07> by savaze »

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #17 on: <02-22-11/1713:34> »
You mean .45 Colt Long Revolver and not .45 ACP, I bet.  Smokeless Powder was developed a bit before 1911.   :P

The Colt Single Action Army Model of 1873 is still in production, BTW, and comes in a variety of calibers, including modern .357 Magnum and .44 Special.

Man I wish I could own firearms...  100th Anniversary of the M1911 special editions are available for ordering now...

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

savaze

• Omae
  • I'm a zombie/quadriplegic hybrid
« Reply #18 on: <02-22-11/1824:09> »
You mean .45 Colt Long Revolver and not .45 ACP, I bet.  Smokeless Powder was developed a bit before 1911.   :P

The Colt Single Action Army Model of 1873 is still in production, BTW, and comes in a variety of calibers, including modern .357 Magnum and .44 Special.

Man I wish I could own firearms...  100th Anniversary of the M1911 special editions are available for ordering now...
Oops I've got .45 on the brain, I meant to put .45 LC...  I've been eyeing the S&W Governor lately.  It's a bit gimmicky, but it shoots .45 ACP, .45 LC, and .410.  It sounds fun to me!

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #19 on: <02-22-11/1831:33> »
Oh nice.  Reminds me of the old Medusa Model 47 revolver.  That baby could chamber and shoot any 9mm caliber ammo you could name.  The only ammo they didn't test it on were museum pieces in rarity.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Outsider

• Newb
« Reply #20 on: <02-22-11/1832:30> »

They are. Go to your local store.

Oh nice.  Reminds me of the old Medusa Model 47 revolver.  That baby could chamber and shoot any 9mm caliber ammo you could name.  The only ammo they didn't test it on were museum pieces in rarity.

I've seen it once at the store.
There are two things cheap in life. A plane ticket and piano wire.

V zhizne tolko dve veshi bivayut deshoviye: bilet na samolet i struna dla pianino.

Ryo

• Ace Runner
« Reply #21 on: <02-22-11/2100:59> »
Hey, that's my gun! I posted that in the Trigger Talk thread. Your player even used the name Hambone!

My personal favorite gun right now belongs to an eccentric Dwarf Rigger who goes by the name Hambone. Hambone may be married to his drones, but his mistress is his beloved Bessie, a customized Ruger Super Warhawk.

You start with the Warhawk, then you fill up all six slots with Large Mod Firing Selection Change (to add Full Auto) and High Power Chambering from War (+2 DV, -1 AP). After that, you overmod it to give it a Custom Look, engraving the name 'Bessie' on the side of the barrel.

You now have an 8P, -3AP Revolver that can fire a Long Burst, emptying the cylinder in a single shot and jumping the damage to 13P before net hits. Of course, Hambone applies both his Foot Anchors (+2 recoil comp) and his Cyberarm Gyromount (+3) whenever he fires it, nicely negating the -5 recoil mod from full auto. It's a bitch to reload, but its worth it seeing the look on a ganger's face when you pull this massive mother of gun out of your cyber holster and splatter his chrome troll buddy all over the payment in a single shot.
« Last Edit: <02-22-11/2106:28> by Ryo »

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #22 on: <02-22-11/2132:52> »

I'm in Canada.  They don't exactly have that at my local store.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

aimlessfreak

• Chummer
« Reply #23 on: <02-22-11/2135:46> »

Oh man I think i just died and went to runner heaven
But I didn't know he was a DRAGON!

Charybdis

• Ace Runner
  • If it's last name is Dragon, first name Great: RUN
« Reply #24 on: <02-22-11/2136:13> »

Ditto for Australia. Handgun laws are bloody strict down my way.
'Too much is never enough'

Current PC: Free Spirit (Norse Shamanic)
'Names are irrelevant. Which fake ID do you want me to quote from?'

Phreak Commandment V:
If Thou Be In School, Strive To Get Thine Self Good Grades, For The Authorities Well Know That Scholars Never Break The Law

aimlessfreak

• Chummer
« Reply #25 on: <02-22-11/2141:04> »

Ditto for Australia. Handgun laws are bloody strict down my way.

lol is it wrong that I really wanna start sing the USA national anthem right now  :P

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #26 on: <02-22-11/2143:09> »
lol is it wrong that I really wanna start sing the USA national anthem right now  :P
Bloody Separatists.   :P

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

aimlessfreak

• Chummer
« Reply #27 on: <02-22-11/2143:57> »
Bloody Separatists.   :P

Say what you want, I think I'll go clean my handgun now  ;D

Rockopolis

• Omae
  • Severe Shadowrun Addiction
« Reply #28 on: <02-22-11/2154:10> »
You know what bugs me, chummer?  Political/Legal issues aside, guns are expensive.  They would seem to be the privilege of the wealthy.
Shadowrunners are reminded that the Fashion Police are a real organization and will they will be deployed at the first sign of defiance.
Mossy the Mentat Looking for a game.

Charybdis

• Ace Runner
  • If it's last name is Dragon, first name Great: RUN
« Reply #29 on: <02-22-11/2158:01> »
You know what bugs me, chummer?  Political/Legal issues aside, guns are expensive.  They would seem to be the privilege of the wealthy.
Only legally.....
'Too much is never enough'

Current PC: Free Spirit (Norse Shamanic)
'Names are irrelevant. Which fake ID do you want me to quote from?'

Phreak Commandment V:
If Thou Be In School, Strive To Get Thine Self Good Grades, For The Authorities Well Know That Scholars Never Break The Law