NEWS

Looking For A Decent Drone & Vehicle Loadout.

• 13 Replies

Nautilust

• Newb
« on: <06-21-18/1714:09> »
One of my player's will be playing a Rigger, and i'm having a tough time guiding them to a good drone & vehicle Loadout.

The setting is New York, so there's street and water routes to worry about. Keep in mind they have other gear they need to get.

BP: 600
Availability: 20
Max BP for Nuyen: 150 BP

Csjarrat

• Prime Runner
  • UK based GM + player
« Reply #1 on: <06-22-18/0805:09> »
There's a speedboat for 21k iirc, the step van is a favourite but is big and slow, there is a smaller van in the extraction supplement and some good ones in r5 that work well, only need 6 seats, smuggling compartment rigger interface, run flat tires, morphing plates, spoof chips and something like oil sprayer/road strip ejectors for chase scenes as a minimum build. The rest really comes down to how pink Mohawk you're going. Ruthenium coating is great but highly illegal and weapon systems are gonna get you pinged in a trenchcoat style game. Drones are the same, either way, you'll want a cloud of small recon drones and then add flavour as per campaign requirements.
For your van, make sure you get speed and accel to 4 or higher and handling as high as you can get it without breaking the bank as it forms the limit for a lot of stunts
Speech
Thought
Matrix
Astral
Mentor

Captain Marge

• Newb
  • Yarrrr...
« Reply #2 on: <06-22-18/0954:02> »
Csjarrat nailed it, subtle mods and hidden compartments make a runners life easier, and it's hard to go wrong with a swarm of recon drones.

Always been a fan of the Roadmaster, it's just a rolling fortress when specced out. Never underestimate the value of a ram plate - Many a baddie has been neutralized by sudden onset truck bumper in our games! :D
Captain Marge - Captain of the Pirates of Piz'zazz
Dmitri Kolnikov - Lead Singer of Trolling Thunder (retired)

Nautilust

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <06-22-18/1521:00> »
Good to know my suggestion of Recon Drones was good.

We were looking at the, MCT Fly-Spy and Lone Star Sea Eye.

What about combat drones?

On vehicles, how much do you have to worry about Body and Drone Platforms?

adzling

« Reply #4 on: <06-22-18/1556:34> »
russian doll nesting flying drones below ;-)

I’ve had some great fun building drones with an integral drone rack for launching drone swarms.

i have a setup that goes Dustoff(with rigger inside)->bumblebee->ammo drone (loaded with area jammers instead of ammo magazines)->noizquito

they all pack up inside each other like nesting russian dolls, which is pretty cool as the rigger can fly in to the area with the dustoff and start dispensing drones.

Once they are all out of their racks you can compile them into swarms as needed and jump in/ remote the ones that aren't.

highly flexible, very dangerous and airborne!

Aeroquip Dustoff

Bumblebee

Ammo Drone

10 x Nozquitos

<phew>

You can put a rigger/ passenger in the Dustoff.

The Ammo Drone carries 3 x area jammers in lieu of ammo clips.

Typical tactics would be to deploy the Dustoff at long range and let it fly into medium range to deploy the Bumblebee.

the Bumblebee deploys the Ammo Drone while hosing down the area with its LMG.

The Ammo Drone flys into medium/close range and starts jamming targets while dropping it's 3x area jammers around the battelspace to knock the enemy offline (jammers don't affect the deployer if set correctly).

Then it deploys the nozquito swarm to distract and attack targets with their tasers, strobes and audio.

This build costs @$200,000k and includes some items you can't get in chargen due to availability so you should review for suitability to your use.

Aeroquip Dustoff
CHASSIS: AEROQUIP DUSTOFF
Handling 3, Speed 4, Acceleration 4, Body 4, Pilot 4, Sensor 3, Device Rating 4, Data Processing 4, Firewall 4
Condition Monitor: 8
Armor: 6H
Limits: Mental 6
Physical Initiative: 8+4D6
Vehicle Mods:
   Armor, Standard (1)
   Chameleon coating
   Drone Rack, Standard, Medium
   Ejection Seats
   Rigger Interface
   Secondary Propulsion (Amphibious, Surface)
   Signature Masking (4)
   Special Armor Modification (Non-Conductivity) (6)
   Spoof chip
   Weapon Mount, Light (Fixed, External, Remote)
   Winch, Basic
Gear:
   Linguistics: English (local language)
   Linguistics: Japanese (Manufacturer's Language)
Weapons:
   Ingram Smartgun X [SMG, Acc 4, DV 8P, AP –, BF/FA, RC 2(3), 32 (c)] w/ Folding Stock, Gas-Vent System (2), Silencer/Suppressor, Smartgun System, Internal
Ammunition & Resources:
   Ingram Smartgun X - unloaded

F-B Bumblebee
CHASSIS: F-B BUMBLEBEE
Handling 3, Speed 2, Acceleration 1, Body 4, Pilot 3, Sensor 3, Device Rating 3, Data Processing 3, Firewall 3
Condition Monitor: 8
Armor: 15H
Limits: Mental 4
Physical Initiative: 6+4D6
Vehicle Mods:
   Armor, Standard (1)
   Chameleon coating
   Drone Rack, Standard, Small
   Electrochromatic Coating
   Electronic Countermeasures (6)
   Heavy Weapon Mount (Fixed, External, Remote)
   Retrans Unit
   Rigger Interface
   Smoke Projector
   Special Armor Modification (Non-Conductivity) (6)
Gear:
Weapons:
   Stoner-Ares M202 [MMG, Acc 5, DV 10P, AP -3, FA, 50 (c)]
Ammunition & Resources:
   Stoner-Ares M202 - unloaded

Jammer Drone (ammo chassis)
CHASSIS: AMMO DRONE
Handling 2, Speed 2, Acceleration 2, Body 2, Pilot 3, Sensor 2, Device Rating 3, Data Processing 3, Firewall 3
Condition Monitor: 7
Armor: 4H
Active Skills: Pilot Aircraft Maneuvering 0 (2)
Vehicle Mods:
   Chameleon coating
   Drone Rack, Landing, Micro
   Electronic Countermeasures (6)
   Rigger Interface
   Special Armor Modification (Non-Conductivity) (4)
Gear:
   Maneuvering: Pilot Aircraft
Ammunition & Resources:
   -none-

Gunquito "Noizquito"
CHASSIS: HORIZON "NOIZQUITO"
Handling 4, Speed 3, Acceleration 2, Body 1, Pilot 3, Sensor 3, Device Rating 3, Data Processing 3, Firewall 3
Condition Monitor: 7
Armor: 0
Vehicle Mods:
   Rigger Interface
   Speakers
   Strobes
   Weapon Mount, Mini
Gear:
Weapons:
   Defiance EX Shocker [Taser, Acc 4, DV 9S(e), AP -5, SS, 4 (m)] w/ Smartgun System, External
Ammunition & Resources:
   Defiance EX Shocker - unloaded

Nautilust

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <06-22-18/1700:42> »
That looks effective, if a bit flashy.

But it looks like it only holds one passenger. They should have a get-away vehicle, or two; one ground, one water/air. They need to hold 8 people, does the roadmaster do that?
« Last Edit: <06-22-18/1714:33> by Nautilust »

adzling

« Reply #6 on: <06-22-18/1718:20> »
get van

stick the Dustoff drone in a drone rack in the van.

done.

Nautilust

• Newb
« Reply #7 on: <06-24-18/1606:26> »
Alright so buy a van (or similar vehichle) improve handling, speed, and acceleration where possible. Add drone rack, use russian nesting doll's to deploy several drones without needing a dozen drone launchers.

What programs should you get? How important are pilot programs and autosofts, the rigger can't pilot every drone individually at one time, atleast I don't think so.
Any other things to worry about?

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #8 on: <06-24-18/1623:02> »
Get an RCC and use 1 or 2 slaved Drone types, so you can handle them Autosoft-wise. Get Swarm, since that lets you do way better dice-wise, especially on Perception. Don't bother with upgrading Pilots, depend on the RCC rating instead.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Nautilust

• Newb
« Reply #9 on: <06-24-18/2316:14> »
I just realized that I didn't mention that this is for 4th edition. So some or all of your advice may be wrong. I am terribly sorry if it is.

To reiterate this is for 4th edition. There I said it, i'm sorry I didn't note that above.

adzling

« Reply #10 on: <06-25-18/1346:01> »
most of the advice still holds excepting specific drone models

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #11 on: <06-25-18/1554:14> »
Just because it's funny (IMO) I'll toss out my 5th Edition Drone load out recommendation.  Sorry it likely doesn't apply to the OP but just in case anyone else happens along...

Start with the GMC Armadillo, Rigger Cocoon, Morphing plate, spoof chips, Gridlink overide, Luxury Amenities optional.  I also stuck a pop up flamethrower in just to keep the riff-raff away, YMMV.

The Drone Swarm.

The Queen, I Doll with Level 4 Realistic Features, Gecko Tips, bump up stats as best you can with the remainder mod points.  Equip with Sleeping Tiger Armor, Machine Pistol in each cyber arm loaded with different Ammo, or a Heavy Pistol/Taser combo, your call depending on what Firearm Skill your Rigger grabs.

The Workers, 14 Kanmushi spider drones.  Stock.  Realistic Features and/or mix in some Fly Spys if you really want to, but with a Swarm bonus each drone has something like 24 dice of Sneak depending on the rating of the Autosoft.  Nobody's spotting them anytime soon.

The Soldiers 12 Little Buddies or so.  Gecko Tips, wear Chameleon Suits, MP in one cyberlimb, Taser in the other.  Again, 24 dice of Sneaking so... not quite invisible, but someone would just about need to step on one to spot it.

Optional a couple of the blimps with Retrans units.  Also optional tricked out scooter for leaving the Armadillo, maybe not starting though as you're pretty tight on funds after 'ware and RCC by this point.

Basic strat, any non combat situation the Queen and all the workers are swarmed and wandering around throwing 18+ dice at whatever skill needs to be rolled.  If the GM thinks you "Need more hands" like for a repair skill or something swap in Little Buddies.

For Combat Jump into the Queen and Swarm the Little buddies and Kanmushi's into 3 Squads (4-5-5) with standing orders to one squad to lay down suppression fire centered on your target, and the other two squads to attack your target. 

Lost my stat sheet that had the exact costs worked out, but you'd want to customize and tweak anyway.  The basic strat is lots of sneaky creeping wall and ceiling crawling drones rolling lots of dice.  You'll also need a couple of tweaked Commlinks to slave all the drone's gear to and Run Silent.  Probably want an Agent to monitor the whole mess as well.  Gets into a tricky area of "Can I have a PAN without a Persona?"  and "Screw it, seriously how much to grow my own Host... no really...."  Or you can just ignore the Smartguns and Sneaking bonuses, they're probably okay without them.     

Never played, couldn't tell you how well it works but the theory crafted version was fairly impressive as the Rigger also had 10 Logic, 7 Intuition, and 6 Skill in Hacking, Computer, and EW and a 9 Sleaze Vulcan Liege Lord RCC.  It was pretty much the ultimate Hacker/Rigger "Guy in the Van" build that I could come up with.  Totally useless without drones or something to Hack though. 

Edit: Just realized what was missing, the Queen totally needs a Monowhip.  And the Little Buddies all need Shock Gloves and Garrotes.  How could I have missed that...  Anyway, enjoy your army of killer robots!
« Last Edit: <06-25-18/1625:15> by Hobbes »

Myriad

• Newb
« Reply #12 on: <06-28-18/0051:24> »
I like what Hobbes has posted, here's a few more drones as well and their mods.

* Horizon Little Buddy, realistic features 3+, skates, gecko grips, ace of hearts- Your cheapo face drone, blend in as a toddler, gnome, or what have you.
* Suzuki mirage or Horizon cyclone/gecko grips + anthro drone (can use the buddy above) + ballistic mask with sensor rating 7.  Ride up buildings really fast, or around town.  The casual cycler is amazing and can get to other spots like roof tops.
* Pratt and Whitner Sundowner, thermal smoke that can cover a block and a half, pepper punch loaded in for disable, etc, all make a great argument for this drone.
* Ares Paladin, vehicle rules, mechanical arm, standard weapon mount with pop up conceal, ammo bin, and rigger cocoon.  Your "ride" for when you must get out of the van.  If your GM does not like this, use a Horseman for a little bit more cost, more modpods that give you seating, turrets and arms.
* Rotodrone with weapon mount concealed.  Weapons of note:  Ares Alpha (grenade launcher for nonlethal via flashbang, smoke, paint grenade (ultraglide), and adps loaded on the gun), screech rifle, shiawese blazer with belt fed ammo (let's you full auto fire for spirit busting).
* Rotodrone with large drone racks x2 and mechanical arm.  When you just wanna drop off a paladin or two to the scene.
* GMC Armadillo as mentioned by Hobbes, the cheapest truck with options ranging from more seats, and similar.  Large drone rack, mechanical arm basic, and possibly a troll sized smuggling compartment depending on what you need to bring.
* Ares Dustoff.  Fits on the above, use with "pickup manuever" to get people evac'd or as your own personal helicopter.
* Swarm of Noizquitos, taser, glue sprayer.
* Festo sewer snake.  Realistic feature 3+, use as a necklace or other jewelry.  Grenades, or even a pistol, are hilariously creative.

The general build philosophy is usually go for a cheapo swarm (like noizquitos), utility drones you RC (like the snake, sundowner, etc) and then jump into a heavier or harder hitting drone as needed.
« Last Edit: <06-28-18/0053:10> by Myriad »

Nautilust

• Newb
« Reply #13 on: <07-02-18/2217:41> »
So, my last question was never really answered. How important are autosofts and pilot programs in 4th ed?