NEWS

Introductory Box Release Date

• 84 Replies

happybritches

• Newb
« on: <10-10-13/1323:06> »
My gaming group is eagerly awaiting further word on the release of the Shadowrun Introductory Box Set.  Having a set of easy/simple adventures, along with cheat sheets, makes learning a new gaming system much easier.  Is there anyway we might get another release date post regarding this item? 

Thank you heaps!

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <10-16-13/1027:24> »
RNB posted on FB earlier this week that he had received the "white page" copy of this for review...assuming this is a draft from the printer to confirm color/layout?

happybritches

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <10-16-13/1314:38> »
What wonderful news!!  I can't wait for this product to be released.  This and the new runner's toolkit.

Cheers

martinchaen

« Reply #3 on: <10-16-13/1334:10> »
Sweet; can't wait for that GM screen... Anyone know if there's a chance that this will be a PDF release as well?

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <10-16-13/1407:32> »
No idea re a PDF, thought I would be surprised if they didn't offer one. Kind of curious to see the screen they are putting together...the one that Pegasus has done for the German release looks pretty awesome.

PeterSmith

• Ace Runner
« Reply #5 on: <10-16-13/1419:29> »
RNB posted on FB earlier this week that he had received the "white page" copy of this for review...assuming this is a draft from the printer to confirm color/layout?

No, it's used to determine if the box is strong enough to contain the contents. Too weak and we know what happens. Too strong and it's wasted money. The name comes from the fact that the boxes are plain white boxes.
Power corrupts.
Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Peter Smith has the deadest of deadpans and a very sly smile, making talking to him a fun game of keeping up and slinging the next subtle zinger." - Jason M. Hardy, 3 August 2015

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #6 on: <10-16-13/1711:52> »
OK...that makes sense...thanks.

happybritches

• Newb
« Reply #7 on: <10-16-13/1833:30> »

No, it's used to determine if the box is strong enough to contain the contents. Too weak and we know what happens. Too strong and it's wasted money. The name comes from the fact that the boxes are plain white boxes.

So, does this mean that the introductory box is finished and the only thing left is choosing and printing the boxes? If this is the case, wooohoooo!

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #8 on: <10-16-13/1841:57> »
It definitely sounds like things are shaping up nicely, though they're still being pretty cagey regarding release dates ;)

On the upside, Jason posted (on FB) about an upcoming ebook focusing on assassins :D

Noble Drake

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <10-16-13/1952:40> »

So, does this mean that the introductory box is finished and the only thing left is choosing and printing the boxes? If this is the case, wooohoooo!
It is very unlikely that production happens in such a linear fashion - I would expect both the box and the contents with which the box is being tested to be mock ups, facsimiles, or drafts... but that doesn't mean we aren't just waiting on production from this point.

It'd be flat out weird if Catalyst already had all the contents that go in the box printed and warehoused before ordering the boxes to put them in...

Lysanderz

• Omae
« Reply #10 on: <10-16-13/1958:37> »
Wouldn't it be weirder for them to test boxes without any idea what the weights and sizes of things will be? You gotta know the contents before you can build the shell.

Noble Drake

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <10-16-13/2018:57> »
Wouldn't it be weirder for them to test boxes without any idea what the weights and sizes of things will be? You gotta know the contents before you can build the shell.
They don't have to wait for the final production items to know the size and weight - those are determined by factors they are already aware of, and they can create mock-ups (or use drafts) to try out the box... that way all the pieces of production (both box and contents) can be taken care of in serial rather than in series.

(prepare for an example with numbers from my butt)
If it takes 3 months to finish editing, do layout, get proofs, approve proofs, print, and warehouse the contents and it also takes 3 months to design, test, produce, and warehouse the boxes... that would mean it takes 3 months total to get the contents in the boxes ready to ship - where waiting for the contents before starting in on the boxes would mean 6 months.

happybritches

• Newb
« Reply #12 on: <10-24-13/1408:18> »
It would really be a shame if the Intro Box wasn't out by christmas.  This would be the perfect gift for a buddy that is moving.

Cheers,
Jerry

Agonar

• Omae
« Reply #13 on: <10-25-13/0115:22> »
They don't have to wait for the final production items to know the size and weight - those are determined by factors they are already aware of, and they can create mock-ups (or use drafts) to try out the box... that way all the pieces of production (both box and contents) can be taken care of in serial rather than in series.

(prepare for an example with numbers from my butt)
If it takes 3 months to finish editing, do layout, get proofs, approve proofs, print, and warehouse the contents and it also takes 3 months to design, test, produce, and warehouse the boxes... that would mean it takes 3 months total to get the contents in the boxes ready to ship - where waiting for the contents before starting in on the boxes would mean 6 months.

Right.  The post, and accompanying picture that they put on Facebook mentioned that they had gathered enough modules and the like to be the equivalent weight and composition of what they would be putting into the starter box... it didn't look like they had the actual contents ready to go.  Just a stack of various softcover books, some dice, and a few gear decks, which looked like SR4 gun/gear cards.
GM of the Relative Dimension, Actual Play Podcast
www.relativedimension.com

Lord Nikon

• Newb
« Reply #14 on: <10-27-13/1100:20> »
Not that Amazon is always correct, but they put up a release date of December 18, 2013. If this is true, I can get it before X-mas and use this start learning the new system. I have the quickstart, its very helpful, but I'd like a little more. I have the corebook, but the rate its falling apart, I am scared to read it at the moment until I can find a way to put the pages back in.