NEWS

Change blindness gathering thread

• 114 Replies

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #75 on: <08-29-19/1554:54> »
That kind of destroys the whole simplification of rules angle.
You think...?

I mean, either you play dirty tricks to fool your mark (in which case you roll Con) or you use your authority or physical size to get them to do as you wish (in which case you roll Influence).

Seems very simple and straight forward to me :-)

Conning? Fast Talking? Bribing? Sure.  Commanding them ....
Con, Leadership and Intimidate are in SR5 mechanically the same skill, they just use slightly different modifiers and are opposed by slightly different attributes. I never understood why some people valued the con skill so much higher than the other options.

Using leadership against someone that have a superior rank (such as a police officer, a guard or a manager) get negative dice pool modifier. Also harder to use leadership against targets that have high willpower and are trained leaders them self. Easier to use leadership against subjects with lower rank (such as civilians or wageslaves while wearing an expansive suite or guards or soldiers if you are impersonating a general). But if you are skilled enough then having higher rank is not required (from a game mechanic point of view)

SR5 p. 139 Leadership
It’s like Con, except rather than using deception you’re using a position of authority.

Using con against someone that have a lot of time to think and evaluate the situation get negative dice pool modifier. Also harder to use con against targets that are charismatic and are trained con artists them self. Easier to use con if you have some plausible evidence and when the target is distracted, stressed and under time pressure. But if you are skilled enough then having plausible evidence is not required (from a game mechanic point of view)

SR5 p. 138 Con
Con governs the ability to manipulate or fool an NPC during a social encounter.

Using intimidate against someone that is physically imposing get a negative dice pool modifier. Also harder to use intimidate against targets that have high willpower or are used to bully others. Easier to use intimidate if you are physically imposing, outnumber the subject or are armed. But if you are skilled enough then being physically imposing is not required (from a game mechanic point of view)

SR5 p. 139 Intimidation
Intimidation is about creating the impression that you are more menacing than another person in order to get them to do what you want.

Yes, game mechanic wise a face with 20+ dice can talk their way out of pretty much any situation (almost like if they would be magicians), but this is no matter if they use leadership, con or intimidate. Also, this is really no different than a sniper with 20+ dice that can hit a target during any condition (as you game mechanic wise only get a negative dice pool modifier of 10 dice while shooting a victim fully behind a wall, during a snowstorm, from 1300 meters, without using a scope, in the middle of the night, without using night vision).

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #76 on: <08-29-19/1609:15> »
Remember, just because the PRIMARY attribute is Charisma, doesn't mean you can't make checks with other attributes. In reference to Leadership/Con/Intimidation, I can see myself as a GM ruling that a player could make a Leadership + Logic or Willpower check, Intimidation + Strength or Body check, or a Con + Logic check, all depending on if the character wants to play up the roleplaying element.

steelybran

• Newb
« Reply #77 on: <08-29-19/1713:46> »
My initial point is that Leadership, as used in 5E, basically meant you were inspiring people (granting dice pool bonuses).  It wasn't mechanically similar to Con, Intimidate, or Negotiate.

I could say that the things indicated in Leadership from this thread (stemming from a position of authority) would be less of a separate Specialization and rather an Edge or Conditional Modifier to either Negotiate (you're using to a position of authority to coax a person to do something legit and in a friendly manner), Con (using authority to have them do something duplicitous), or Intimidate (causing them to fear the consequences, but rather than physical harm the consequences are more in line with their position/role/rank).  It seems WAY more limited in use as a Specialization than the other Influence-based options.

I can't see many people ever taking Leadership if it is in that specific a format than, say, practically any other Influence-based specialization.  Maybe in a campaign setting where, instead of runners, they're part of a military or law enforcement group?

I think there's a disconnect in calling it "Leadership" as none of the scenarios are qualities of Leadership.  The closest I could see is a character like Captain America telling random police officers and civilians to do something, even those who don't know who he is.  That's as close as I can see in these descriptions; most of the time, they would fall under Negotiate, Con or Intimidate as the appropriate Specialization.

sigfriedmcwild

• Newb
« Reply #78 on: <08-29-19/1913:32> »
The Ares Slivergun damage is tagged with (fl) for flechette. I'm assuming that the weapon stats already include the flechette dv and ar modifiers, so there isn't much point in keeping the tag

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #79 on: <08-29-19/1940:45> »
The Ares Slivergun damage is tagged with (fl) for flechette. I'm assuming that the weapon stats already include the flechette dv and ar modifiers, so there isn't much point in keeping the tag

It has the tag so that you know that it is already applied.

steelybran

• Newb
« Reply #80 on: <08-30-19/0856:07> »
Add that 0 Essence = Death isn't specifically mentioned (discussed over on the Gear forum).  Apparently wasn't explicitly stated in 5e either (except in the Critter section)

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #81 on: <08-30-19/0858:29> »
Add that 0 Essence = Death isn't specifically mentioned (discussed over on the Gear forum).  Apparently wasn't explicitly stated in 5e either (except in the Critter section)
It is stated in the Critter section of 6E as well, but that's the same level of change blindness as 5E.

penllawen

• Omae
  • Let's go. In and out. Twenty minute milk run.
« Reply #82 on: <08-30-19/1024:34> »
It is stated in the Critter section of 6E as well, but that's the same level of change blindness as 5E.
Strange that such a well-known issue in 5e wasn't resolved in 6e.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #83 on: <08-30-19/1359:13> »
Is it death though...??

Maybe the intention is that it in more recent editions only act as a limit to how much augmentations you can get (6.0 points of essence at that, rather than 5.9999999999 points of essence)

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #84 on: <08-30-19/1408:21> »
Given how being drained to 0 kills, it makes sense you still die if you augment to 0.but need clarification.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #85 on: <08-30-19/1507:17> »
Given how being drained to 0 kills, it makes sense you still die if you augment to 0
Then again.....
...we are talking about being drained by vampires that will trigger the infection power as the victim's essence is drained to zero and if not then you actually regain the essence over time. That is a quite specific mechanic. You need to make quite a leap if you want to derive that you instantly die if you you buy a datajack for your last 0.1 essence ;-)

That you can't have 0 essence is pretty obvious in SR4 (and previous editions):

SR4 p. 68 Attribute Ratings - Essence
Under basic Shadowrun rules, characters can never have an Essence of 0 or less. If they do, they die.

SR4 p. 70 Augmentations - Cyberware
The (meta)human body has limits— only a certain amount of cyberware can be installed before the body runs out of Essence and dies.

SR4 p. 70 Augmentations - Bioware
Bioware also has an Essence Cost, just like cyberware.

SR4 p. 86 Cyberware and Bioware
Starting characters cannot have an Essence of 0, but any fraction above zero is fine.

SR4 p. 294 Essence Drain
If a character’s Essence is drained to 0, the character dies.

SR4 p. 298 Essence Loss
If a creature is reduced to 0 Essence, it will die in (Body + Willpower) days if it does not replenish itself.

But since all above references (except critter powers) are gone in SR5 (and SR6) and, maybe more importantly, since it is actually not yet listed in SR5 errata (even though it have been repeatedly reported) one might rightfully wonder if it is actually intended and that you now can spend that last fraction of essence on augmentations without dying....

Also, SR4 mentions that you start with 6 essence (not really related but since this is a known fact for SR6 and I was spending time going through the book anyway I wanted to mention it)

SR4 p. 67 Special Attributes - Essence
All characters start the game with an Essence of 6.

SR4 p. 68 Attribute Ratings - Essence
All characters have a starting Essence attribute of 6.

SR4 p. 82 Example - Michelle
Essence starts at 6 (for now), and...

SR4 p. 83 Example - Brian
His Essence starts at 6, like everyone else, though that may decrease if Brian acquires any cyberware or bioware (more on that later).

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #86 on: <08-30-19/1522:46> »
SR5 has too many things in reported errata to take the lack of a final errata of this as gospel.

PatrolDeer

• Newb
« Reply #87 on: <09-16-19/1622:19> »
It was mentioned in a thread elsewhere, but I will post it here as well

Commanding a drone is a minor action in Actions section, page 41, but in Drone Rigging section, page 201 it is stated as a Major action.
Stainless Steel Devil Rat said that this could possibly be due to a change blindness.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #88 on: <09-17-19/0312:26> »
Might be, though Simple -> Minor makes a lot of sense too for non-attack actions. It's tricky.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #89 on: <09-17-19/0958:37> »
Then again, ordering up to five different drones to attack up to five different targets by spending up to five different minor actions in addition of using your major action to attack with the drone you are currently jumped into is not really the same as ordering two different drones to attack two different targets by spending two different simple actions and then wait until the next action phase before you can take a complex action to act with the drone you are currently jumped into...