NEWS

[SR5] Nanotattoos

• 8 Replies

Manveru

• Newb
« on: <01-07-14/1112:41> »
Just a question about nanotattoos.

In the SR5 Corebook, there is no nanoware anymore because of the nanovirus. Please correct me if iam wrong.

So all nanotechnology isnt working in the way they are suppused to do. Does this also mean nanotattoos are not working anymore?

I found this line in the SR5 Corebook:

"Get those synaptic boosters, those muscle replacements, and while you’re at it put a sparkling datajack in your head and some boss, day-glo nanotattoos on your face. Just understand that each time you do this, another piece of your metahumanity goes sliding away." - SR5 Corebook Page 23, right side.

So does it mean, complex nano technology isnt working anymore but very simple stuff can still work?
« Last Edit: <01-07-14/1206:42> by Manveru »

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #1 on: <01-07-14/1200:34> »
We currently don't have rules for them. They might still be around in people, though it appears most of it actually malfunctioned. They might be getting things to work again, starting slow.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

martinchaen

« Reply #2 on: <01-07-14/1202:13> »
Considering the threat of Sybil (i.e. CFD, or Cognitive Fragmentation Disorder) looms on the Horizon (heh), I'd be cautious about any and all nanoware, including tattoos. That being said, there are no rules for nanotattoos in the current edition, so unless you convert the rules to SR5 it's a moot point anyway.

And while I have no basis for this next statement, somehow I feel confident that the reference to nanotattos is an oversight.

EDIT: See http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=11017.0 for more info on Sybil. Expect even more info in Stolen Souls...
« Last Edit: <01-07-14/1205:11> by martinchaen »

Manveru

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <01-07-14/1239:59> »
Thank you guys for your reply!

Is there another way, beside nanotattoos, to have a tattoo glowing and/or maybe changing the design by time?

If iam not complete wrong, Bio Tattoos can change the design, but only over a long time, so that wouldnt fit my idea. Because i was thinking about a glowing arm tattoo that would constand change the design, so fast you can see it.

It doesnt need to be a SR5 modification, can also be SR4, if you know one.
« Last Edit: <01-07-14/1243:05> by Manveru »

BetaCAV

• Omae
  • 2-legged devil rat
« Reply #4 on: <01-08-14/1410:56> »
We currently don't have rules for them. They might still be around in people, though it appears most of it actually malfunctioned. They might be getting things to work again, starting slow.
"EVO will fix everything. It's what they do." *cringe*

Godwyn

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <01-08-14/1643:33> »
I would say yes. Something like the e-ink canvasses implanted just beneath the skin should function similarly.

Anarkitty

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <01-08-14/1928:38> »
Yeah, I would say something like a flexible OLED either just under the top few layers of skin or with a synthetic skin surface would be entirely within the technology of 2075 even without nanotech.  In SR terminology it would just be a patch of ruthenium polymer fabric implanted into your skin.  Probably wouldn't even cost any essence because it is superficial/cosmetic.

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #7 on: <01-08-14/2117:15> »
While I agree with Anarkitty on what should be possible, the (available, listed) 4e version is a modification to the standard full body dermal sheath, which costs essence. Way of the Samurai provides a cybersuite that makes it available during chargen with restricted gear. IMO, it should have used full cyber or full nano for the biometrics, but that's topic twice removed from this one ...
« Last Edit: <01-11-14/1117:42> by Novocrane »

Anarkitty

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <01-09-14/1607:32> »
I would include the OLED or Ruthenium version under the heading of "Cosmetic Modification" (SR4, p335; Augmentation, p167) if someone wanted to get it.