NEWS

Number of Enemies in a Combat Scene

• 3 Replies

Cheshire86

• Newb
« on: <03-02-17/1342:33> »
Heya,

I'd like to hear how people are populating combat encounters in Anarchy.  How many enemy NPCs are appearing?  How do you gauge the threat level of enemies?

EX: A group of six Runners comes across a group of Gangers in the Barrens.  How many Gangers should there be to present a reasonable challenge to the Runners?

I'm concerned that, without some guidelines, players a/o GMs might not populate the encounter properly - either underpopulating it (resulting in a blowout for the Runners) or overpopulating it (resulting in a blowout for the Gangers).

thanks,
c86

Gingivitis

• Errata Team
  • Omae
« Reply #1 on: <03-02-17/1938:12> »
I have run about a dozen sessions so far.  Likely about 24 combats.  I tend to start out with a 1 to 1 ratio and add from there with Surprise Threat!.

I made that expanded NPC Threats list that also stratified NPCs into categories. You can find it in the forums here.  I have found that Thug level threats can be 2 to 1 and Prime Runner threats can be 2 to 3. Think twice about doubling up on Terror Level threats. But add more if your NPCs are getting pwned; that's what Plot Points are for.

It's going to be important to test your runners and ramp up because not all your runners will be combat monsters and some of them will be able to summon nasty spirits.  You will also want to challenge them in different ways.  Some up close, some from afar, some with magic or tech.  Remember too that your NPCs have Edge to spend and that can increase the threat level when you don't want to increase the threat load.  A human can usually spend one on offense and one on defense before they bite it.
« Last Edit: <03-02-17/1951:53> by Gingivitis »
Shadowrun: Anarchy Resources (GM Screens, Character Sheets, New NPCs, House Rules) at: www.surprisethreat.com

Cheshire86

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <03-03-17/1311:03> »
Cool, thanks for the reply.  Sounds like I should give the document you mentioned a look.  :)

Shadowjack

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <03-03-17/2122:56> »
A typical PC can handle 2 gangers pretty easily *on average*. This number goes up as the campaign goes on.
Show me your wallet and I'll show you a man with 20 fingers.