NEWS

Street Legends Review

• 209 Replies

Mystic

• Freelancer
  • Omae
  • Word Mercenary
« Reply #180 on: <10-29-11/2323:46> »
But...but, I LIKE some of the bigger, nastier types!

8)
Bringing chaos, mayhem, and occasionally cookies to the Sixth World since 2052!

"Just because it's easy for you doesn't mean it can't be hard on your clients"-Rule 38, The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries, Schlock Mercenary.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #181 on: <10-29-11/2324:41> »
Yeah, I'll grant Kellen that...  But I'd have still rather seen Dirk, and gotten an explanation on his arm...
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Grinder

• Newb
« Reply #182 on: <10-31-11/0256:12> »
Basically she was in SL because part of the appeal of the book was "hey, I know that guy/gal/chick/dragon!"  It's not JUST there to advance the metaplot and present top-tier characters, but also just as a fun way to show folks the stats of characters they know, regardless of the source.  Kellan was nominally the main character of a full trilogy of books (and some of the most recent ones, no less!), so that seemed worth a couple pages.  She's also something of a "stepping off point" for campaigns wanting to use SL, because she's (obviously) closer to a starting character than most of the other characters in there.  She might be a little more usable than some of the bigger, nastier, types.

Totally a character I expect in a book about legends, yeah.
« Last Edit: <10-31-11/0656:45> by Grinder »

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #183 on: <11-08-11/0936:22> »
One lesson I wish comic writers would learn, and something I muttered under my breath all through the last several years of sprawling crossovers, retcons, heroes turning out to be Skrulls, heroes turning into assholes over Superhuman Registration, etc, etc, is simply this:  everyone is someone's favorite character

Going back a bit in the files, here, but, as a notation on this? When Mark Gruenwald was cleaning house at Marvel, using the Scourge to bump off a ton of lame Marvel villains, one of the ones he capped was a fellow by the name of Turner D. Century. Ol' Turner was a mad scientist who was obsessed with the 1890s, who had such 'amazing' inventions as a flamethrowing umbrella and a flying bicycle built for two (He didn't have a partner, however, so a robot sat on the back and pedaled for him) ... he'd only been seen twice, one time of which involved him making a ray that woul dkill everyone under the age of sixty five in a city.

No, I don't know how that would have worked.

At any rate, after erasing that guy from Marvel, Gruenwald got death threats. Death threats! Over Turner D. Century!

And that's when he realized that every comic character, no matter how lame that they might seem, has a fan, and they shoud thus be treated carefully.

Of course, that doesn't mean that you can't bump someone off if the story calls for it. Heck, scriptwriting 102 involves sitting around and asking "What happens if I kill off so-n-so?", just to see how pieces move around in the aftermath. Aina's death is going to move pieces around and advance the plot, and, clearly, there *will* be an aftermath.

She might not be TheBig D or Hatchetman, but I have confidence that, down the road, you'll look back at her death and say, "Yeah, good things came from that."

Still waiting for my Street Legends to ship in, by the by, for a proper lookover, but an initial glance gave me a few plots and quite a few grins.

For those just now dropping in, however, I'm curious as to who *isn't* in the book that you'd like to see.

(More after mine arrives!)

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #184 on: <11-08-11/0949:51> »
Spoiler from Artifacts Unbound:
[spoiler]The question is, after reading Praxis, did anyone else besides Aina die, or did she sacrifice herself to save the others?[/spoiler]

Digital_Viking

• Omae
« Reply #185 on: <11-08-11/0950:22> »
Going back a bit in the files, here, but, as a notation on this? When Mark Gruenwald was cleaning house at Marvel, using the Scourge to bump off a ton of lame Marvel villains, one of the ones he capped was a fellow by the name of Turner D. Century. Ol' Turner was a mad scientist who was obsessed with the 1890s, who had such 'amazing' inventions as a flamethrowing umbrella and a flying bicycle built for two (He didn't have a partner, however, so a robot sat on the back and pedaled for him) ... he'd only been seen twice, one time of which involved him making a ray that woul dkill everyone under the age of sixty five in a city.

At any rate, after erasing that guy from Marvel, Gruenwald got death threats. Death threats! Over Turner D. Century!

And that's when he realized that every comic character, no matter how lame that they might seem, has a fan, and they shoud thus be treated carefully.

Of course, that doesn't mean that you can't bump someone off if the story calls for it. Heck, scriptwriting 102 involves sitting around and asking "What happens if I kill off so-n-so?", just to see how pieces move around in the aftermath. Aina's death is going to move pieces around and advance the plot, and, clearly, there *will* be an aftermath.

She might not be TheBig D or Hatchetman, but I have confidence that, down the road, you'll look back at her death and say, "Yeah, good things came from that."

Still waiting for my Street Legends to ship in, by the by, for a proper lookover, but an initial glance gave me a few plots and quite a few grins.

For those just now dropping in, however, I'm curious as to who *isn't* in the book that you'd like to see.

I agree comepletely - heck the steaming pile of fail (IMO) that was Civil War begat one very awesome thing:  A returned Thor beating Iron Man's ass up and down a Katrina ravaged New Orleans.

So who knows what good may come of this!
"Which is better and which is worse,I wonder - To understand or to not understand?"
"Understanding is always worse. To not understand is to never carry the burden of responsibility. Understanding is pain. But anything less is unacceptable."

Patrick Goodman

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Fixing the fixless since 2016
« Reply #186 on: <11-08-11/0955:25> »
[spoiler]The question is, after reading Praxis, did anyone else besides Aina die, or did she sacrifice herself to save the others?[/spoiler]
[spoiler]I don't speak with any authority, but I think the latter. I know quite a few survived because they have stat blocks in Street Legends or AU itself, and James came right out and said that if they were in SL or AU's Character Trove, they survived. Now, that does leave some room for interpretation....[/spoiler]
Former Shadowrun Errata Coordinator

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #187 on: <11-08-11/1039:22> »
[spoiler]I don't speak with any authority, but I think the latter. I know quite a few survived because they have stat blocks in Street Legends or AU itself, and James came right out and said that if they were in SL or AU's Character Trove, they survived. Now, that does leave some room for interpretation....[/spoiler]
True, but that only covers [spoiler]Frosty, Lugh Surehand and Hestaby.[/spoiler]From the story we know [spoiler]Harlequin[/spoiler] survived. But that leaves [spoiler]Jonathon Reed, Aden and whomever Crusader might be.[/spoiler]Oh, [spoiler]and did Ghostwalker come BACK from the metaplanes, or is he still there??[/spoiler]

jonathanc

• Omae
  • All cruelty springs from weakness.
« Reply #188 on: <11-08-11/1114:44> »

I agree comepletely - heck the steaming pile of fail (IMO) that was Civil War begat one very awesome thing:  A returned Thor beating Iron Man's ass up and down a Katrina ravaged New Orleans.

So who knows what good may come of this!
I prefer Namor's kicking of Iron Man's ass in that Illuminati one-shot. What happens when Iron Man fights Namor underwater? Exactly what you think would happen. :D

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #189 on: <11-08-11/2233:40> »
But that leaves [spoiler]Jonathon Reed, Aden and whomever Crusader might be.[/spoiler]Oh, [spoiler]and did Ghostwalker come BACK from the metaplanes, or is he still there??[/spoiler]
As for who lives
[spoiler]
Reed lives. He's mentioned in Street Legends and Jessa is dragging him away at the end of A Tale of Two Princes while Tintagel evacuates Surehand.
[/spoiler]

That said
[spoiler]
There were other people there that didn't get identified.[/spoiler]

As for GW
[spoiler]
Can't say, won't say.[/spoiler]

shrike

• Chummer
  • The rep is dead. Long live the rep.
« Reply #190 on: <01-14-12/1741:07> »
*snip* [spoiler]and did Ghostwalker come BACK from the metaplanes, or is he still there??[/spoiler]
As for GW[spoiler]Can't say, won't say.[/spoiler]

What if we say please?
Imar heron. Imar raen. Imar semeraerth. Imar milessaratish. Miriat tela li? Thiesat tekio tore li?

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #191 on: <01-14-12/1743:56> »
Then we have further proof in Jim Butcher's statement that it's like Heroin for writers to deny fans what you know you're going to do in the future.  :P

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #192 on: <01-14-12/1958:49> »
No. I just hate you all, especially CanRay.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #193 on: <01-14-12/2002:27> »
No. I just hate you all, especially CanRay.
Thanks.  I can feel the love here.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #194 on: <01-14-12/2007:47> »
My hatred is more of a crushing presence, If you have a burning sensation, you may want to get that checked out by a doctor.