NEWS

SR Missions FAQ v1.1.1 (Fixed and reuploaded FAQ!)

• 14 Replies

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« on: <08-08-14/1424:48> »
Ok, got the additions in, and uploaded the new file!  Covers all Missions legal books through Run & Gun.  You can grab it here:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12034805/Shadowrun%205%20Missions%20FAQ%20Update%20v1.1.1.pdf

Enjoy!

The Masked Ferret

• Chummer
  • CDT Special Agent
« Reply #1 on: <08-09-14/0125:51> »
Thanks for the upgrade! and update!

(moved to new FAQ thread)
« Last Edit: <08-09-14/1257:41> by The Masked Ferret »
SpeechThoughtMatrix/E-mail/TextingAstralSub-vocal

Fedifensor

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #2 on: <08-09-14/0944:55> »
So, if an Adept power is printed in one book (say, Commanding Voice in Stolen Souls, Pg. 191) and another power that is very mechanically different and has different costs but shares the same name appears in a later book (Street Grimoire, pg 170), would the power from the first book be superceeded by the power in the second?
Fortunately, this has not happened yet in the Missions-legal books.  I imagine Bull will have an answer for us by the time Street Grimoire is legal (assuming Catalyst hasn't issued errata by then).

irthinker

• Newb
  • All your karma are belong to me
« Reply #3 on: <08-12-14/1912:53> »
Hello, would karma purchased with nuyen by Working for the People count towards your street cred?

I can see arguments both ways, hence my question.

Thank you for your kind consideration.

Tarislar

• Ace Runner
  • Uzi's + Fireballs .... Why I love Shadowrun!
« Reply #4 on: <08-12-14/1948:23> »
Good question about the W4P Karma.

Okay, so I have 2 issues that I'm seeing reading the FAQ that I'm hoping can be addressed.

1.  Rain Forest Carbine: 
I am certainly not going to say that this weapon didn't need a Nerf. 
But, you have now made it more expensive & way less useful than either the Ares Alpha or Yamaha Raiden.
While 14/-4 was clearly too much.  Making it 11/-2 means its overprices for what it does.
I'm thinking 12DV &/or -3AP would have been a better option to make up for its total lack of attachments like the other 2 have.

2.  Unarmed Combat Specialization:
You have to use Martial Arts?   
That doesn't seem right to me at all.  Why not have them be in addition to the basic options.
Why not still have the option of specialization in Cyber Weapon, Blocking, Subduing, & Striking?

Fedifensor

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #5 on: <08-13-14/0001:44> »
2.  Unarmed Combat Specialization:
You have to use Martial Arts?   
That doesn't seem right to me at all.  Why not have them be in addition to the basic options.
Why not still have the option of specialization in Cyber Weapon, Blocking, Subduing, & Striking?
I read the change as removing the FAQ-specific options for specializations, based on the quote, "If you purchased a specialization for Unarmed Combat under the original FAQ rules you get refunded 7 Karma" (emphasis mine).  The original specializations in the 5E core rulebook should be available, though the wording could use some refining in the next version to clarify intent.

Striking was a bit too powerful under the original FAQ rules - removing it was probably a balance issue.

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <08-13-14/1044:10> »
1.  Rain Forest Carbine: 
I am certainly not going to say that this weapon didn't need a Nerf. 
But, you have now made it more expensive & way less useful than either the Ares Alpha or Yamaha Raiden.
While 14/-4 was clearly too much.  Making it 11/-2 means its overprices for what it does.
I'm thinking 12DV &/or -3AP would have been a better option to make up for its total lack of attachments like the other 2 have.
The Ares Alpha is 11F, and the Yamaha Raiden is 14F. The Rain Forest Carbine, however, is 8R, and thus the most powerful Restricted assault rifle.

martinchaen

« Reply #7 on: <08-13-14/1105:39> »
I agree that maybe the direction of the Rain Forest went a little too bland. I'd have loved to see it keep SA only as a tradeoff for higher AP, representing more of a precision/designated marksman rifle with 3 round burst capability and more stopping power than the Alpha, but with limited clip capacity and lacking Full Auto.

Since this is a FAQ topic:
Any chance of answers to the Rigger questions from the last time around? I can repost them if need be, just let me know.
« Last Edit: <08-13-14/1108:02> by martinchaen »

Tarislar

• Ace Runner
« Reply #8 on: <08-13-14/1708:55> »
The Ares Alpha is 11F, and the Yamaha Raiden is 14F. The Rain Forest Carbine, however, is 8R, and thus the most powerful Restricted assault rifle.
ZC, what does one have to do with the other ?
They are illegal because of those toys/attachments on them.  And those things have a price for them which is why the weapon costs more.
The RFC has none of those attachments but costs more that either of those.
You wouldn't remove the Grenade Launcher from an M-203 & then sell it on the Civilian Market for more than a full M203 costs.
If they really wanted to nerf it as much as they did, the price would need to be about 1/2 to keep it in line with the Colt, AK., & FN.

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #9 on: <08-13-14/2003:52> »
ZC, what does one have to do with the other ?
Well, you compared it to two other weapons, so I noted there's another comparison to make: unlike the Alpha and Raiden, you can be seen in public with a Rain Forest Carbine without people trying to arrest you solely for owning it.

They are illegal because of those toys/attachments on them.  And those things have a price for them which is why the weapon costs more.
You're not exactly correct there, actually: the HK-227 and Ingram Smartgun X (and to a lesser degree, the Ares Light Fire 70) are Restricted despite coming with an integral sound suppressor, and the Restricted Remington Suppressor ships with a detachable sound suppressor, even though sound suppressors are normally Forbidden. While it's true the Raiden and Alpha were made Forbidden by the developers to offset their high stats, it's not like you can strip parts off an Ares Alpha while keeping the damage stats and turn it into a Restricted weapon. Legality is also a feature worth paying for.

Now, I don't actually have an opinion on the nerf itself or on the price of the nerfed version (although martin's idea of keeping it a bit stronger but dropping not just the FA mode, but also the BF mode, sounds interesting), but I don't think it's fair of you to snap at me for merely pointing out you're not seeing the whole picture.

Darq

• Newb
« Reply #10 on: <08-13-14/2049:29> »
Curious, what is the thinking behind denying Code of Honor?

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #11 on: <08-13-14/2055:43> »
Either way, disallowed for the same reason that CoH is...  A large portion of the Quality, negative or positive, is a roleplaying focus, which is something that Missions can't really take the time to encompass.

Tarislar

• Ace Runner
« Reply #12 on: <08-15-14/1251:01> »
Well, you compared it to two other weapons, so I noted there's another comparison to make: unlike the Alpha and Raiden, you can be seen in public with a Rain Forest Carbine without people trying to arrest you solely for owning it.

Legality is also a feature worth paying for.

but I don't think it's fair of you to snap at me for merely pointing out you're not seeing the whole picture.

Apologies if I came across as snapping, I wasn't, no malice or intent to snap there.
I guess I'm not seeing the legality side of it because frankly, legal to own or not, your still never going to see me walk into a night club with an assault rifle slung over my shoulder.   (I knew my SMG under my overcoat was seriously questionable when I tried it one time, my GM was nice & only gave me a warning & the "look".)
I figure if its time to pull out assault rifles you might as well pull out sniper rifles & machine guns & make it a party.  ;)
I still can't figure out why some silencers are illegal but assault rifles are just restricted.  When did a FA AK become acceptable?  And when did EVERY firearm start requiring a permit to own?

gargaM0NK

• Newb
« Reply #13 on: <08-24-14/1131:32> »
Quick question.  How does missions handle the transfer of gear or nuyen between player characters?

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #14 on: <08-24-14/1216:31> »
Good question.  Mostly "Honor system".  I'll have to include this next time.  Generally you freely give money or items to another player.  You cannot transfer between your own characters, and you can't cheat and use another player as an intermediary (basically, no double dipping by making multiple characters to cannibalize, or playing through missions multiple times with multiple characters to grab multiple awards, etc).  Should be common sense and "Don't abuse the system", and should be signed off by a GM so that there's an aribiter to double check the action.