NEWS

Repair costs

• 18 Replies

Wasabi

• Newb
« Reply #15 on: <07-14-14/0020:42> »
Belker, thanks for the reply. My question is not directed at a CDT GM but rather at our Missions Director. Not trying to be a forum-troll but mine is one of policy, not capability. If it is not possible for Runner A to repair the gear of Runner B then this change introduces a skill-tax as every person must be able to repair their own gear since bricking cost far exceeds Missions rewards.

I'll rephrase the question so its more condensed:

Bull, if a GM is willing to sign off on it can I spend lifestyle on my latest mission log to repair things for others on their latest mission log?
(And I guess it would require them to spend the same amount of lifestyle if its cyberware since surgery would be involved to access and repair implants such as wired reflexes, cybereyes, etc..)
Missions Characters:
[SR4] Jax - Merc Technomancer
[SR5] Reece - Journalist TM

Mathias

• Chummer
« Reply #16 on: <07-14-14/1417:41> »
For repairs, doesn't the "All the other broken drek" section (R&G pg. 143) cover physical damage to an item?  Someone shooting your deck with a gun, for example?

If a decker attacked your gun and bricked it, wouldn't that only cause matrix damage, and the repairs to that would be covered by the "Repairing Matrix Damage" rules on pg. 228 of the Core Book?

(Still a major tax on riggers, since their stuff gets shot at, but I don't think deckers will encounter these rules much, and I don't see how cyberware is threatened unless a set of critical damage rules are published later)

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #17 on: <07-14-14/1504:48> »
I dunno, it just seems to me that there's no reason to charge players money for it.  I mean, a street samurai is probably wearing armor worth tens of thousands of nuyen, total, and it's okay for that to be abstracted enough to not worry about damage at all.  Normal wear-and-tear on stuff is either generally ignored or handwaved to be included in Lifestyle, which is a good way to handle it.

Since things like drones or vehicles need to have damage tracks, it makes sense that you can't just ignore the damage they take entirely, but I think it would be good to just abstract it to "for this much damage you need to buy a Automotive Mechanic Shop, which has X uses".  Like a medkit, at most.  Or just include the cost in Lifestyle, and add a "garage/repair shop" lifestyle option.
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #18 on: <07-15-14/0040:56> »
Is there anything in core that discusses it beyond 146 table and the referencing paragraph?
Technically for the campaign this isn't an issue before the 14th of August right?
I do think the 10% per box as cost of materials is high, the issue being that it also discusses cost of labor as well. So you have 10% per box plus a 2 variable one constant multiplicative formula, so presumably you skip the formula part if you do the labor yourself. I'd say make cost of materials a sliding scale based upon amount of damage taken, 1% of cost times  boxes taken squared so 1 box is (Item Cost*.01*1*1), meaning if ya just dinged the case its easy buff out. But if ya did 10 boxes your gonna pay a lot to get that sucker back up and running,(Item cost*.01*10*10) or basically full replacement. Thoughts?

The magic v technology issue is always a floating target, and one that typically slides across an edition. I do think it troubling that we seem to see more 500+ karma casters stated out vs similarly experienced tech folks. I'm not totally sure I can back that up, it may just be that I tend to recall the 500+ karma casters, but I don't think so I know I have seen at least 2 already in this edition.
In the interest of transparency I tend to prefer magic to tech, but there ya go.
« Last Edit: <07-15-14/0153:32> by Marcus »
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking