NEWS

[SR5] B&E/Shooter

• 21 Replies

Kuirem

• Omae
« Reply #15 on: <09-05-16/0908:10> »
Synaptic acceleration is not compatible with reaction enhancers (and not upgradable). Skip both and get synaptic booster.

I actually think prototype transhuman is a bit of a trap but that's just me.

They are compatible Synaptic Acceleration is incompatible with "augmentation that increases their Initiative or grants any Initiative Dice" while Reaction Enhancers is incompatible with "other enhancements to Reaction". SA don't increase Reaction and RE don't give initiative, well indirectly through Reaction but I really don't think it counts.

I'm interested to know why you think Prototype Transhuman is a trap. 1 extra Essence is huge. What about Biocompatibility then, is it a trap as well?

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #16 on: <09-07-16/0744:39> »
Synaptic acceleration is not compatible with reaction enhancers (and not upgradable). Skip both and get synaptic booster.

I actually think prototype transhuman is a bit of a trap but that's just me.

They are compatible Synaptic Acceleration is incompatible with "augmentation that increases their Initiative or grants any Initiative Dice" while Reaction Enhancers is incompatible with "other enhancements to Reaction". SA don't increase Reaction and RE don't give initiative, well indirectly through Reaction but I really don't think it counts.

I'm interested to know why you think Prototype Transhuman is a trap. 1 extra Essence is huge. What about Biocompatibility then, is it a trap as well?

Kuirem is correct on Synaptic Acceleration and Reaction Enhancers, they work just fine together.  They would also stack with Cerebellum Boosters, and Psyche for example.

Prototype Transhuman at 10 Karma is likely too cheap.  Essence is a limited commodity and there are only a couple ways to effectively increase it.

drakir

• Chummer
« Reply #17 on: <09-07-16/1431:59> »
I stand corrected on the compatibility issue. I would stil recommend Synaptic Booster as it is upgradable.

Prototype Transhuman might be too cheap and a trap at the same time. Too good for what it does in the right place but tricking many in to using it unnecessarily.
Then there is a difference what GMs allow you to do. I would never let a PC change/upgrade the bioware that is "in" PT. The character was engineered that way. Unsure what RAW is exactly on this issue.

For mundanes, PT often is not necessary. You have enough essence and later get "more" through upgrading to beta/deltaware or going bioware instead of Cyberware.  The Qualities points are also a limited resource  (at least at character creation). I guess the longer you have a character, the more PT will be "profitable". I usually don't play the same character that long. (Have never had a character reach 200 karma without WFTP)

Awakened characters can benefit hugely from PT, but here is a big trap. To utilize PT fully you also need lots of money, which awakened characters seldom have. If they take money as a high priority, they lose out on something else and end up weaker than without PT. I guess this changes with Karma build option which I don't use. It might be  broken there?

« Last Edit: <09-07-16/1448:06> by drakir »

celondon

• Chummer
« Reply #18 on: <09-07-16/1508:55> »
You have enough essence and later get "more" through upgrading to beta/deltaware or going bioware instead of Cyberware.

This has not been my experience. Characters rarely ever get to upgrade to beta/deltaware, even if it is possible in theory. Locating and getting in good with a clinic capable of this, alone, is something that rarely happens and, then, being able to save the nuyen and make the availability rolls for such items is not easy, especially if your GM sticks to the run rewards outlined in the books. Basically, whatever you start with is what you've got, barring some minor tweaks here and there.
Skating away on the thin ice of a new day!

drakir

• Chummer
« Reply #19 on: <09-07-16/1547:18> »
@celondon
My experience as well for the most part which is why I see Qualities Points as a limited resource and Prototype Transhuman as not so broken (unless maybe in karma build).

I have upgraded such thing as Titanium Bone Lacing from used (gettable at creation) to beta grade. Only costs something like 25000  IF you are allowed upgrades, which is not RAW. Allowing upgrades is a really good house rule though that everyone should use.

drakir

• Chummer
« Reply #20 on: <09-07-16/1614:58> »
@celondon
My experience as well for the most part which is why I see Qualities Points as a limited resource and Prototype Transhuman as not so broken (unless maybe in karma build).

I have upgraded such thing as Titanium Bone Lacing from used (gettable at creation) to beta grade. Only costs something like 25000  IF you are allowed upgrades, which is not RAW. Allowing upgrades is a really good house rule though that everyone should use.

Here's a link to my character Hound. A character I'm very happy with, both fluff-wise and power-wise. He's also a "Sam" archetype. Standard Priority build. No prototype transhuman or cybercompatibility. I have used both on other characters, so I don't consider them bad, but this time I got to use the qualities points for stuff I felt more useful for Hound. I could've put my Synaptic Boosters in PT  and had one more essence actually (skip First Impression). But then we have the fluff, much harder to make up a story for a PT character than for a regular.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_uo4RmLfLw3Q0dRaW5jWmZfMVU

The Prince is way better at Sneaking but on the other hand Hound's a lot more social.

Should have said much earlier. Your character seems good. Nephritic screen is nice for drug use. Orthoskin and Lacing gives him a lot of durability. And Sneaking near 20 dice. Nice!

Small thing that may save you a tiny amount of money. Were a little curious how you got so high accuracy and looked up electronic firing. You can have both on a weapon but they are not cumulative with personalized grip. Have not played with the Yamaha Raiden myself, too high availability at creation and the Ares Alpha has that nice grenade launcher...

« Last Edit: <09-07-16/1723:35> by drakir »

celondon

• Chummer
« Reply #21 on: <09-08-16/1233:36> »
@celondon

Here's a link to my character Hound. A character I'm very happy with, both fluff-wise and power-wise. He's also a "Sam" archetype. Standard Priority build. No prototype transhuman or cybercompatibility. I have used both on other characters, so I don't consider them bad, but this time I got to use the qualities points for stuff I felt more useful for Hound. I could've put my Synaptic Boosters in PT  and had one more essence actually (skip First Impression). But then we have the fluff, much harder to make up a story for a PT character than for a regular.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_uo4RmLfLw3Q0dRaW5jWmZfMVU

The Prince is way better at Sneaking but on the other hand Hound's a lot more social.

Should have said much earlier. Your character seems good. Nephritic screen is nice for drug use. Orthoskin and Lacing gives him a lot of durability. And Sneaking near 20 dice. Nice!

Small thing that may save you a tiny amount of money. Were a little curious how you got so high accuracy and looked up electronic firing. You can have both on a weapon but they are not cumulative with personalized grip. Have not played with the Yamaha Raiden myself, too high availability at creation and the Ares Alpha has that nice grenade launcher...

Nice build. Gotta love Agile Defender (all those Qualities are banned at our table; the GM didn't like my last character tossing 28d for defense tests...) The Alpha is probably the better weapon, TBH, but since it's the go to for Sams everywhere, I wanted something a little different. And quieter (BF with -7 on the Perception test to hear it? Gotta love it!)
Skating away on the thin ice of a new day!