NEWS

Genghis Con 2014

• 9 Replies

Fedifensor

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« on: <02-17-14/0011:59> »
Genghis Con 2014 just wrapped up in Denver, Colorado.  There was a respectable Shadowrun presence at the con.  I didn't attend the 4th edition events, but the 5th edition Shadowrun missions filled the two tables scheduled for each slot, and an extra gamemaster were brought in to run a third table at least once. 

I'm a bit tired for a full recap, but my gunslinger adept now has the nickname "Throat Shot", due to his repeatedly calling shots to the vitals (throat in this case) with gel rounds.  I think I knocked down or knocked out every single person I shot in that fashion.  The enemy mages really didn't like me - one was left gasping on the ground after a gel round to the throat, and a second was a one shot kill from a pistol shot at extreme range.

Fade

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Newb
  • CDT Lead RPG Agent
« Reply #1 on: <02-17-14/1421:05> »
Genghis Con was a great time.  We filled up with extra generic tickets for each event, and even ran extra tables twice when more people got interested.  We didn't have a lot of foot traffic, as our area was kind of out of the way, but once word got around that we were accepting all comers, we got more people interested.

Taking a cue from Critical Glitch - No one was turned away if they came by and wanted to play.

Overall things ran well, and the scenarios were pretty memorable.   You know how they say the best Shadowrun is the one where you don't have to fire a shot?  Well, when you use office worker politics and superb Face and Decker work, you can have your objective hand delivered to you without ever having to break in!

Of course, blowing up 3 city blocks is another option when asked to "sabotage" something.

Thanks to all the players that attended, I know myself and the other GM's there had a great time.
« Last Edit: <02-17-14/1522:50> by Fade »
Mike Messmer
Freelancer & FAQ Committee member
RPG Lead Agent
Catalyst Demo Team

WAEtoWAR

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <02-18-14/1228:46> »
I played in SR5 Dangerous Games missions 1-3 (Rolling the Dice, Double Down, and Full House) at Genghis with Fedifensor and hosted by Fade and it was a truly stand out day of gaming out of my 20+ years.  I'll let Fedifensor provide the full write up of our Rolling the Dice session (aka Corporate Office the RPG) which was the least bloody and best executed Shadowrun I've ever been on--excellent fun as our Face.

There was a great turn out of gamers and fantastically enthusiastic GMs who were able to roll with our crazy schemes-- J-Pop anyone? During the conclusion of Full House when Fade was tossing all the scripted notes over his shoulder (nope, don't need that page, or that page, or that page...) it was so hilarious that our Bear Shaman spit water all over his pants (out of game).

Great job to all the GMs for keeping the good karma flowing (even when the Johnson's were pissed).   Denver is an important new enclave of Shadowrun gaming and it's rise has only just begun.

(corrected user names) Derp!
« Last Edit: <02-18-14/2220:33> by WAEtoWAR »

Fedifensor

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #3 on: <02-18-14/1254:18> »
Actually, Fade was the GM tossing out the scripted notes.  I was playing at a different table during that slot.

My character was just the guy in Rolling the Dice who was offering suggestions while the Face and Decker did most of the actual work.  The op was picture-perfect - I've never seen a run go that smoothly.  I wonder if there are a bunch of wageslaves still waiting for their free cupcake... ;)

Denver definitely has a growing population of Shadowrun players.  There were lots of new players using pregens, along with people long absent from the game returning to give it a try.

WAEtoWAR

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <02-18-14/2222:54> »
Thanks for the correction, since I was at the corp when writing earlier my eyes were crossing and my deck wasn't secure!  LOL.

Great game!

Windfallen

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <02-18-14/2330:28> »
Lets just say that I hate making accounts and posting on forums, but Fade's game this Sat was so fun that I just had to thank him.

Even though we spent most of our time thinking our missions rather than doing, as a tank you might think I would have been bored - heck no! I RP'd and helped in the plans, and even though I only made 2 attack rolls in 12 hours it will go down as one of the best games ever.

I hadn't played shadow run since 3rd ed and it was easy to get back into the game, and fade made me remember how much I loved playing this game- the fact that you don't get railroaded by the gm and can blaze you own path is amazing.

I will be playing sr 5ed again very  soon, & hopefully with fade at gen-con indy!

Thanks!
« Last Edit: <02-18-14/2332:44> by Windfallen »

Windfallen

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <02-18-14/2335:53> »
Also, no comment on blowing up 3 city blocks, pretty sure that was someone else.

Willow!!!  8)

$/@mm-0!

• Newb
« Reply #7 on: <02-18-14/2353:00> »
 :o Oh man how did I miss a con in my own back yard? Figures....sounds like it was pretty epic  ;D
$/@mmZ3r0

Windfallen

• Newb
« Reply #8 on: <02-19-14/0826:10> »
:o Oh man how did I miss a con in my own back yard? Figures....sounds like it was pretty epic  ;D

It is  a very small game-heavy con run by the denver gamers association (google will bring up their web site). They run two cons every year one in  feb and one in sept.

$/@mm-0!

• Newb
« Reply #9 on: <03-02-14/2103:42> »
 :) Sounds awesome I will try to make the September one, i'll even make myself a note .
$/@mmZ3r0