NEWS

I'm Interested!

• 457 Replies

WNxTyr4el

• Omae
« on: <11-06-13/1959:42> »
Hey everyone!  I'm new to roleplaying games and tabletop games and have been looking at Pathfinder and D&D 4e. I asked around on the PF forums about other tabletop games that are relatively popular and Shadowrun came up. So I was wondering if someone could tell me about the game.  I'll ask some questions to guide discussion

1. Does this game compare to any other dice rpg?
2. What is the class system like?  Are options varied and many?
3.  What's the spell system like?  Are there many spells to choose from and ways to build your PC?
4. What's the story like?
5. Are there play mats or anything that you play on?  And can you buy them if so?
6. Is there a beginner box or anything equivalent?  If not where should I start?

That should get things rolling!
Speech
Thoughts
Texts and Commlink
Whisper
Spirits
Descriptors and Narrative

witchdoctor

• Chummer
« Reply #1 on: <11-06-13/2016:57> »
1) NO!!!
2) There is no class system, you pick a character concept such as hacker or ninja and buy skills and attributes that complement that concept. Theoretically you could build any combination you like, you could, for example, build a hacker who kills people with swords.
3) First thing you learn in Shadowrun is "Geek the Mage first!". There are a ton of spells you can choose. You can throw fireballs like your standard DnD mage or you can use magic to turn your enemies against each other and clean up the mess afterwards
4) Complicated. The meta plot is windy enough for a Minotaur to get lost in. Long story short, everyone wants everyone else dead, try to make sure it's not you. If you want the details start with the core rulebook for the basics and look up anything you want to know more about.
5) That is entirely up to the GM, with my GM we don't really need them and we can just get out a scrap piece of paper if positioning or our environment becomes vitally important for planning.
6) There's no beginner box for fifth edition that I'm aware of but the good news is that the Fifth Edition core rulebook is plenty to get started with as it explains all the aspects of the system as well as you can hope for.

With all this said you have picked a great time to get into Shadowrun as Fifth Edition has cleaned up a lot of aspects of the game that sorely needed it and made it much smoother and easier to pick up than ever.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #2 on: <11-06-13/2018:17> »
The dice system probably can be compared to WoD a bit, though it has smaller dice but bigger dicepools.

There's no classes perse, but there's different character types and within those there's still quite a bit of variation space. For example, a non-magical Street Samurai can be more of a Tank, use Cyberarms for big punches, ware up light and focus on being sneaky, and anything inbetween.

There's 5 types of spells, which then split into different subtypes. You basically got the mental and elemental attack spells, mental and physical illusions, mental and physical manipulations (brainwashing and messing things up), buff and debuff spells, and various kinds of detection spells. In each type there's several different spells, each with their own use, so there's a lot of things to choose between and ways to work out a mage. On top of that there's Summoning Spirits and perhaps Binding them for more and longer services (at a price), Rituals and even preparing Alchemic Preparations in advance.

The story is basically whatever you make of it. Some campaigns focus on the street, others on corporate espionage, and more. The general tendency of a run is "you get hired, investigate, make a plan, go in and try to survive the problems that pop up and mistakes you make", but leaving aside runs that go differently there's still plenty of difference between runs that follow that setup.

Most of the gameplay is abstract, just like with D&D you wouldn't have a map of every place where you might talk with people. Some people use maps for combat, if you want something easy to work with I'd consider a Chessex Play Mat for drawing the map on when needed, so players got an inking of the distances and where to dive for cover. http://www.chessex.com/mats/Battlemats_&_Megamats.htm

The beginner's box is in development, they're getting them ready right now and once they get them in their warehouses they'll announce when they expect the stores to have them.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

WNxTyr4el

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <11-06-13/2020:59> »
Fantastic replies!  Thank you!  It does seem really interesting and I'd love to play. I love the combat and character creation aspects to roleplaying games so far. Well and the stories that can be told. It's a lot of fun. Is it uncommon for maps to be used during combat?  I imagined that was central to all tabletop RPGs. Otherwise how would you know where the enemy is and all? 

That's also great a beginner box is in the works. When would you estimate it'll be out by if you had to guess?
Speech
Thoughts
Texts and Commlink
Whisper
Spirits

Crunch

• Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <11-06-13/2030:11> »
Some tables use maps, some don't.

The other option is "theater of the mind" or play with no map and instead the characters and GM focusing on describing their actions.

Map based combat tends to reward tactical play "theater of the mind" tends to reward more cinematic play and foster more creativity.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #5 on: <11-06-13/2031:48> »
With some fights, it's simply "you're in an alley, the gangers are 5 meters away, there's a few trash cans and such around and weapons are getting drawn", so the map wouldn't really be necessary, people would just keep it in their head or draw a quick sketch. Most premade adventures come with maps for some of the more crucial battle+investigation locations, of course. I myself draw a few locations in advance and sketch the rest if/when needed.

I don't have enough knowledge of production processes to provide an estimate, sorry.

WNxTyr4el

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <11-06-13/2033:46> »
It's all good. I like using maps I guess lol. I'm more tactical I think. But yeah for small encounters like that you probably wouldn't need one

Is there a speed ability or a stat that says how far a character can move (like in D&D or PF)?
Speech
Thoughts
Texts and Commlink
Whisper
Spirits

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #7 on: <11-06-13/2036:55> »
Yes, your walking rate is 2xAgility per Combat Turn, and your running rate is 4xAgility. Agility is also the attribute used on weapon (and unarmed) attacks, only Spellcasting uses another attribute (namely Magic).

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #8 on: <11-06-13/2037:06> »
1. Does this game compare to any other dice rpg?
There are other games in a relatively similar setting-space, if you mean the game rather than the dice mechanic. Eclipse Phase and Corporation come to mind. They both have some fundamental differences that should be apparent on reading the back cover or summary on all three.

www.corpgame.com

http://robboyle.wordpress.com/eclipse-phase-pdfs/

Crunch

• Ace Runner
« Reply #9 on: <11-06-13/2041:19> »
It's all good. I like using maps I guess lol. I'm more tactical I think. But yeah for small encounters like that you probably wouldn't need one

Is there a speed ability or a stat that says how far a character can move (like in D&D or PF)?

There are a couple of things.

Agility determines base speed.
Strength combines with the Running skill to determine how much distance you can add to your base speed by sprinting.
Reaction and Intuition combine to make your Initiative. That determines how many times you can act, which helps increase the advantage to movement from Sprinting.
Cyberware or Magic can increase your agility, your strength, your initiative or all three.
Physical Adepts (mages who use their magic to increase their physical abilities) have powers like Wall Running and Light Body that give other options.

Slipped twice while I was being long winded. 

WNxTyr4el

• Omae
« Reply #10 on: <11-06-13/2052:38> »
It all sounds like a lot of fun

If you had to sell me on this game right now. You're a marketing manager for Catalyst and if you don't make this sale, you're fired. What would you say to me to convince me to buy at least the core rulebook/players guide or whatever.

Ready?  GO!
Speech
Thoughts
Texts and Commlink
Whisper
Spirits

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #11 on: <11-06-13/2054:17> »
Honestly? Don't. Get the free Preview Omnibus and Quickstarter rules, and play the free Quickstarter adventure. Then see if you like the dynamics it provides.

DeathStrobe

• Omae
  • Front Range Free Decker
« Reply #12 on: <11-06-13/2103:27> »
Honestly? Don't. Get the free Preview Omnibus and Quickstarter rules, and play the free Quickstarter adventure. Then see if you like the dynamics it provides.
Way to go Michael! Now CGL is going to go under, because you lost this one sale. It'll have a domino effect causing the entire  world economy to collapse and sending us back to the stone age. All because you couldn't seal the deal...

But that is good advice.
http://cdn.shadowruntabletop.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/E-CAT27QSR_SR5-Quick-Start-Rules.pdf

WNxTyr4el

• Omae
« Reply #13 on: <11-06-13/2104:29> »
Where can I get that free preview?  I found the quick start rules but not anything else.

Was just trying to have some fun :(
Speech
Thoughts
Texts and Commlink
Whisper
Spirits

zekim

• Newb
« Reply #14 on: <11-06-13/2107:42> »
William Gibson got mugged by JRR Tolkien in a dark alley.