NEWS

SR5 Dev Matrix rules

• 445 Replies

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #435 on: <05-18-13/2227:46> »
No, it's the only way to keep him from summoning his personal attack polar bear.
I live in Winnipeg, not Churchill.

I have an attack Prairie Dog.
And it looks like this:
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Dinendae

• Ace Runner
« Reply #436 on: <05-18-13/2256:23> »

Then there's that it's said that every time it's checked a chunk gets knocked off of it.

This is true, in a way; a single check will not effect your rating much, but when you're trying to get a loan for something, and the company selling you the item (house, car, etc.) starts sending your credit/loan application around at various lenders? Yeah, then your rating starts dropping. If I remember what I was told by an accountant correctly, the U.S.A.'s credit laws are about a century old, and were poorly designed from the start. The idea was that just by shopping around for credit/loans, your were intending to get said credit/loans, and thus you would be increasing your debt (hence the drop in the ratings). This is completely silly, and even the big three credit bureaus have tried repeatedly to get Congress to change the law so that merely looking at a person's credit rating doesn't change it. You can look at your own credit information, without changing the rating negatively, but there are some limits on that. Government at its finest. Yay.

Aryeonos

• Ace Runner
  • Resident hermaphrodite
« Reply #437 on: <05-18-13/2301:30> »
I wonder how shadowrun works if all accounts are updated in real time, preventing you from overdrawing, though they didn't give any indication that they meant credit or debit. I wonder how bad credit companies in SR have gotten.
Sic Zipper Tyrannosaurus!

Dinendae

• Ace Runner
« Reply #438 on: <05-18-13/2304:01> »
I wonder how shadowrun works if all accounts are updated in real time, preventing you from overdrawing, though they didn't give any indication that they meant credit or debit. I wonder how bad credit companies in SR have gotten.

I wonder if overdraft protection still applies? I'd hate to see the fees on those, though. *shudders*  :-\

Black

• Ace Runner
  • Rocking the Shadows since 1990
« Reply #439 on: <05-18-13/2329:29> »

Then there's that it's said that every time it's checked a chunk gets knocked off of it.

This is true, in a way; a single check will not effect your rating much, but when you're trying to get a loan for something, and the company selling you the item (house, car, etc.) starts sending your credit/loan application around at various lenders? Yeah, then your rating starts dropping. If I remember what I was told by an accountant correctly, the U.S.A.'s credit laws are about a century old, and were poorly designed from the start. The idea was that just by shopping around for credit/loans, your were intending to get said credit/loans, and thus you would be increasing your debt (hence the drop in the ratings). This is completely silly, and even the big three credit bureaus have tried repeatedly to get Congress to change the law so that merely looking at a person's credit rating doesn't change it. You can look at your own credit information, without changing the rating negatively, but there are some limits on that. Government at its finest. Yay.

I would have thought that Credit Ratings was actually actually mostly self-regulated, with the government only providing a framework for privacy and complaints etc.

In australia, we have numerious laws around credit contracts etc, but how your 'rating' is determined is upto the individual companies.  Ie, there is actually no certal agency which determines your credit rating, rather each credit providing institution determines their own approach to providing credit to individuals and companies.  There are private companies which are used to provide credit history and agencies often inform them of defaults etc, but that's it.

In Australia, the reason financial institutions look at credit application history rather than actual borrowings is that due to Privacy, they can't actually see what credit you have except when a default of some sort has been regestered with one of these independent credit checking agencies.  Therefore, in their risk adverse manner, they usually default to assuming that each application has potentially resulted in additional credit.  However, most agencies are run by humans, and not machines, so these things can be negotiated after the initial credit application decline, ie a quick, reasonable explanation that your were shopping around usually helps.

Perception molds reality
Change perception and reality will follow
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4+hb+++B?UB+IE+W+sa+m-gmM--P

Dinendae

• Ace Runner
« Reply #440 on: <05-18-13/2352:24> »

I would have thought that Credit Ratings was actually actually mostly self-regulated, with the government only providing a framework for privacy and complaints etc.

In australia, we have numerious laws around credit contracts etc, but how your 'rating' is determined is upto the individual companies.  Ie, there is actually no certal agency which determines your credit rating, rather each credit providing institution determines their own approach to providing credit to individuals and companies.  There are private companies which are used to provide credit history and agencies often inform them of defaults etc, but that's it.

In Australia, the reason financial institutions look at credit application history rather than actual borrowings is that due to Privacy, they can't actually see what credit you have except when a default of some sort has been regestered with one of these independent credit checking agencies.  Therefore, in their risk adverse manner, they usually default to assuming that each application has potentially resulted in additional credit.  However, most agencies are run by humans, and not machines, so these things can be negotiated after the initial credit application decline, ie a quick, reasonable explanation that your were shopping around usually helps.

To an extent, it generally is self-regulating; the law set down the guidelines for how credit should work, and three companies here are the major regulators (Experian, Trans Union, and Equifax). They generally run the day-to-day operations, but need to follow the guidelines the law originally set down (although interpreting the law is up to each company individually, which is why your credit rating can differ between one of the three, or even be different for all three companies). When a business is sending in an application for credit/loans, the lender will contact one (or more) of these companies to determine what your rating is, and to view what information is public (such as being delinquent on payments, or how much debt versus reported yearly income there is) to determine if you are eligible for the applied for credit/loan, and also use that information to determine exactly how much they can offer. Most lenders can get a fairly broad look at your credit history, and each look by every lending institution the company contacts is a negative hit against your credit rating.

The only way to repair your rating is to make payments on time, and stay away from credit/loan applications; over time, your credit rating will return to its previous rating, assuming that there aren't more hits or you do not get reported for delinquent payments. Experian, Trans Union, and Equifax have been trying to push for a change in the law for several decades now, so that the simple act of looking at someone's credit rating, no matter how many times, does not effect a person's rating negatively. Instead they want only more debt being accrued to lower someone's rating (as well as missing payments and such, of course).
« Last Edit: <05-19-13/0058:49> by Dinendae »

Mystalya

• Chummer
« Reply #441 on: <05-19-13/0034:09> »
No, it'll just make him cry.  And that always amuses me.  His tears are like nectar.

I have 100 posts.

I'm in the big kids club now right?  :P
Speech
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Dinendae

• Ace Runner
« Reply #442 on: <05-19-13/0059:41> »
No, it'll just make him cry.  And that always amuses me.  His tears are like nectar.

I have 100 posts.

I'm in the big kids club now right?  :P

What? It only takes 100?!

*Runs off to find other posts to comment in!*

:D

Mara

• Ace Runner
« Reply #443 on: <05-19-13/0259:00> »
Don't do that, I'll get bapped in the crossfire.
Crossfire hasn't come out yet.

Wait.....hold it! Crossfire was out back in the 80's and early 90's:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCwn1NTK-50

Also, Steel Panther did a cover of the commercial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dkc2vYUEA9w

Aryeonos

• Ace Runner
  • Resident hermaphrodite
« Reply #444 on: <05-19-13/0310:12> »
Ah yes, how could I have forgotten... Couldn't just let me think of ATI Graphics cards, that fate would be too kind.
Sic Zipper Tyrannosaurus!

Mystalya

• Chummer
« Reply #445 on: <05-20-13/0457:48> »
Don't do that, I'll get bapped in the crossfire.
Crossfire hasn't come out yet.

Wait.....hold it! Crossfire was out back in the 80's and early 90's:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCwn1NTK-50

Also, Steel Panther did a cover of the commercial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dkc2vYUEA9w

Man I was so sad when that game wasn't as cool as the commercial.

MOM I HAVE TO HAVE THIS IMMA TAKE IT TO SCHOOL.
Speech
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites