NEWS

What's your Plan 9 conspiracy?

• 20 Replies

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« on: <02-06-18/0833:27> »
We know her, we love him, Plan 9 remains the top conspiracy-sniffer on JackPoint. Sometimes, they're even right!

So, what are some of your favorite conspiracy thoughts from Planners and what are some of your own that you've picked up elsewhere?

But nothing about the Nightwraiths. We all know that they were just [art of David Galivan's master plan. I mean, duh.

Sphinx

• Errata Team
  • Omae
« Reply #1 on: <02-06-18/1057:51> »
A conspiracy of blackberry cats secretly controls the European Union.

lokii

• Chummer
« Reply #2 on: <02-06-18/1109:32> »

The one dissolved or the new one?

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #3 on: <02-06-18/1408:28> »

The one dissolved or the new one?
Yes.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #4 on: <02-06-18/1942:13> »
Ok So to do Conspiracy theory Right we First need the right Players.

So our top 10 Conspiracy theory players-
1 The Illuminati (Of course too classic not to play!)
2 The Immortal Elves (Those pointed eared bastard are always behind everything!)
3 Ghostwalker (Cause he's actually Dunkelzahn but with less Jesus complex).
4 Loftwyr ( What you think I'd leave him of this list?)
5 Damien Knight- ( b/c Echo Mirage will Not go quietly into the NIGHT!!!)
6 Teh Horrors/teh Old ones/Teh Outsiders! (Cthulhu, The Better R'lyeh Home Owner Associations, Unspeakable Monsters from beyond reality)
7 THE Sea Dragon (Apparently there is only one and she is cranky, and likes eggs? Who Knew?)
8 Harlequin (Yeah yeah yeah, He can't escape the list it's just a fact.)
9 The Head of Aztechnology (Feathery Winged or otherwise, you know those heirs to the Meshka people are up to No Good.)
10  The Colonel (Yes he's profile is fallen, but never under estimate the man who conquered world with 11 herbs and Spices.)

Now we just construct Mad Lib BIngo.

_______ Cause the Crash so __________ couldn't __________ and thus RULE THE WORLD.

Now you Try!!!
« Last Edit: <02-06-18/1945:08> by Marcus »
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #5 on: <02-06-18/2001:43> »
The Colonel caused the crash so THE Sea Dragon couldn't Teh Horrors and thus RULE THE WORLD.
« Last Edit: <02-06-18/2028:54> by firebug »
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

Marcus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <02-06-18/2025:28> »
Perfect. LOL.
Thinking
com
speaking

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <02-06-18/2254:16> »
Off topic, but it bugs the hell out of me when I see people conflate Horrors and Cthulu. Cthulu drives you mad because you can't process what you're seeing, like trying to draw non-Euclidean geometry in two dimensions. Yes, you look too long and you go mad, but the creatures of the Cthulu mythos are generally apathetic towards mortals, with rare exceptions, taking as much notice of them as you would ants. (Usually don't see them, but when they start crawling all over you then you notice them and usually start stomping them.)

Horrors, on the other hand, drive you mad because they are actively malicious and feed off your pain and suffering as they drive you insane. Your suffering is like a fine wine to them. They make the guys from Hellraiser look merciful in comparison

My Characters

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <02-07-18/1017:06> »
Are the horrors all the Elder God stuff they're putting into the most recent books?  Because one of the Elder Gods mentioned in Forbidden Arcana is named "Ktulu".  I'm waiting for the inevitable "Lovecraft was really Awakened but the low mana level meant he could only get glimpses of things in his dreams, and it was all real but a little misinterpreted the whole time!"

There's a chance they aren't going full-on Cthulu Mythos for this, but I admit, alongside all the other stupid choices in the book, I wasn't willing to give it a chance.  I mean, there's Swamp Thing mythos traditions now.  Jeeze...
« Last Edit: <02-07-18/1028:27> by firebug »
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

Marcus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #9 on: <02-07-18/1025:16> »
So when the IP's split, I have no idea where the concepts of "Horror from Earthdawn" went. My guess was that they went with Earth dawn, as we had actual horrors still around in the older version of that IP. So I have always assumed the horrors we are now running across in SR are more in keeping with Lovecraft then with Earth Dawn. But those who actually know this things and are not making guesses please feel free to jump in and illuminate us.

Thinking
com
speaking

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #10 on: <02-07-18/2341:41> »
So when the IP's split, I have no idea where the concepts of "Horror from Earthdawn" went. My guess was that they went with Earth dawn, as we had actual horrors still around in the older version of that IP. So I have always assumed the horrors we are now running across in SR are more in keeping with Lovecraft then with Earth Dawn. But those who actually know this things and are not making guesses please feel free to jump in and illuminate us.
The Enemy and all the stuff that went with it is still with the SR IP, since it was introduced to the SR side pre-split. Using Named Horrors would most likely be problematic, as only one has shown himself in SR. But you have other 4th world concepts that have clearly been put in, such as during the Artifacts craze, when an IE decided that making part of Tir Tairngir like the Blood Wood was a great idea. Oh sure, they didn't say Blood Wood, but anyone who had read the two properties knew exactly what they were talking about.

The Elder Gods stuff they've added in has all been pretty much strictly the Lovecraft Mythos, and most of it is the result of Awakened types that follow that Tradition, since belief colors the magic. The stuff on Horrors is decidedly of a different tone, and had been mostly quiet since Big D did his thing, but you've had shedim and bugs as precursors (actually mentioned as such in one of the older books, IIRC), with the general idea that, barring Azzies being Azzies, things were not yet far enough along for them to cross over.

And then we find out that the fovea are a direct line to helping build the bridge.

My Characters

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #11 on: <02-08-18/0018:43> »
It seems sloppy to set up a big reveal about the horrors at the same time in the same book that introduces the Elder God stuff.  All that does is cheapen the horrors, because even if there are major differences, there's still obvious similarities--  I mean, basically all the concepts of "cosmic horrors" in fiction nowadays can be traced back to Lovecraft and the other people who's work would rub shoulders with his.  I'd give some dirty looks to whomever decided it was time to do the most cliche thing and start scrounging around the Public Domain for more shit to stuff into Shadowrun's universe when it really, really doesn't need it.  Especially in a world where H.P. Lovecraft existed and all of his work exists, every time somebody talks about Elder God stuff and doesn't point out the obvious relation to Lovecraft it just takes me out of the game.  Or are they trying to say that Lovecraft was somehow completely forgotten in Shadowrun?  Even with two matrix crashes I don't buy that.  The Cthulu Mythos has been an active IP actually past when the Awakening would have happened, and you better bet the corps in Shadowrun would have banked on the renewed interest in the supernatural to start marketing more Call of Cthulu everything.

That kind of thing is why shows like The Walking Dead made the decision of "there's no zombie fiction in this world, which is why everyone calls them walkers".  Because that would affect how everyone viewed that thing that is very similar to fiction that's existed for over a century.
« Last Edit: <02-08-18/0027:27> by firebug »

Marcus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #12 on: <02-08-18/1011:14> »
Yeah I'm not sold on it being two different things as yet.
But guess we will learn more as things unfold.
Thinking
com
speaking

Sphinx

• Errata Team
  • Omae
« Reply #13 on: <02-08-18/1306:08> »
Back to Plan 9 conspiracies ...

Aztechnology Corporate Intelligence uses Stuffer Shack as a front to support their espionage and intelligence gathering activities. People come and go at all hours, and they're conveniently located in every urban center and along major transportation arteries. There's always a secret weapons cache behind one of the refrigerator units, and many (but not all) locations have a safe house concealed in a secret basement. At least one employee in each location is a trained field officer (rarely the manager or employee of the month; look for a strangely competent worker who complains too much to be well-liked, and speak the code phrase, "are you even supposed to be here today?" in Nahuatl).

Marcus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #14 on: <02-08-18/1600:08> »
Back to Plan 9 conspiracies ...

Aztechnology Corporate Intelligence uses Stuffer Shack as a front to support their espionage and intelligence gathering activities. People come and go at all hours, and they're conveniently located in every urban center and along major transportation arteries. There's always a secret weapons cache behind one of the refrigerator units, and many (but not all) locations have a safe house concealed in a secret basement. At least one employee in each location is a trained field officer (rarely the manager or employee of the month; look for a strangely competent worker who complains too much to be well-liked, and speak the code phrase, "are you even supposed to be here today?" in Nahuatl).

I like it, but I feel like it could really use another Player, Maybe Harlequin? Strangely competent worker who complains too much to be like, has weird face paint and speaks the cover phrase......
Thinking
com
speaking