NEWS

Is The Shield Sprite Power Passive?

• 5 Replies

Werlynn

• Newb
« on: <03-13-19/1406:51> »
Shield (Kill Code 100) implies that it just happens. It says “Any time the sprite’s owner would take 2 or more boxes of fade damage, they may redirect one box of damage to their companion sprite.” That sounds to me like I don’t have to spend an action to tell it to use the power before I take fading. Does it cost a task or is it just a thing the companion sprite does while it’s compiled?

Should I register a companion sprite to just help me puppeteer things by eating drain and using tasks to assist threading or would I be burning 2 tasks every time?

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <03-13-19/1416:21> »
Using a Power costs a service.  I've read it as the TM orders the Sprite to use Shield and when Fade happens sometime later it kicks in.

Werlynn

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <03-13-19/1443:28> »
That’s why I asked the question. The way the power is written it suggests an exception to at least the past where the sprite has to be commanded. I could accept it costing a task but also costing an action does seem counter to the text of the power. Specific over general.

I think it would be fair to argue that a task to use it is excessive because it’s automatic unresisted damage to the sprite and sprites aren’t that easy to heal since it costs a task to send to Resonance or requires a form that risks damage to the technomancer.

[the 4 questions every time I post is very obnoxious! Ugh]

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #3 on: <03-13-19/1807:20> »
[the 4 questions every time I post is very obnoxious! Ugh]
It goes away after a few posts. I forget if it's 5 or 10.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

RiggerBob

• Chummer
« Reply #4 on: <03-13-19/1959:27> »
Even when the shield power costs a task and an action companion sprites are completely overpowered, because neither shield nor bodyguard depend on the sprite's level.

It's rediculously easy to compile and (re-)register a level 1 companion sprite with 9 tasks in just a few hours. That level 1 companion has a 9 (8+lvl/2) boxes matrix condition monitor to take fading for you. And it can be sacrificed at any time to intercept a matrix attack targeting you as long as it got an initiative of 10+ on 4D6+2.  ::)
« Last Edit: <03-13-19/2001:39> by RiggerBob »

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #5 on: <03-14-19/0133:52> »
It's rediculously easy to compile and (re-)register a level 1 companion sprite with 9 tasks in just a few hours.
I'm not really familiar with Technomancers, how do you break or boost the limit to more than [Level]? Because without that, the re-registering will always cost a Task and give you at most 1 Task back in return, right?
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!