NEWS

Gun Chun Do

• 17 Replies

Usda Beph

• Omae
  • aka Black Angus
« on: <03-05-11/0749:35> »
So I watched Equilibrium (Near Futuristic movie with Christian Bale)... anyway, the movie has alot of gun play and a firearm martial art that actually looked cool in action. Even if the premise is a bit unbeivable.

Anyway it gave me a good look at what the gun soo do in ShadowRun would look like!

Discuss. ;D
Yeah, I'm A Minotaur! You Gotta Beef with that?
I'm a Minotaur not a bully!
I studied at the Rocky Mountain Culinary School.I specialized in Seafood.
My Dad worked out of el Toro In New Mexico.

aimlessfreak

• Chummer
« Reply #1 on: <03-05-11/0801:46> »
The Firefight martial art in the runners companion
But I didn't know he was a DRAGON!

Sid

• Chummer
« Reply #2 on: <03-05-11/0901:53> »
Doesn't Krav Maga do a better job of that?
Yes, Firefight does more to reduce the penalty, but KM has a fistful of free actions. Weighing each against the other, what's the better option?

tbrminsanity

• Newb
  • Have fun, play games!
« Reply #3 on: <03-05-11/0922:17> »
I always pictured the Gun Kata in Equilibrium to be more Gun Adept in nature.  I created some house rules a while back for SR3 for Gun Fu (also after watching Equilibrium), I think I will go through Arsenal and see if I can update the rules for SR4.

Edit:
Gun Kata
Gun Kata is based upon the premise that, given the positions of the participants in a gun battle, the trajectories of fire are statistically predictable. By pure memorization of the positions, one can fire at the most likely location of an enemy without aiming at him in the traditional sense of pointing a gun at a specific target. By the same token, the trajectories of incoming fire are also statistically predictable, so by assuming the appropriate stance, one can keep one's body clear of the most likely way of enemy bullets.
Advantages:
  • +1 DV when using a ranged weapon in melee combat
  • +1 dice to Defence Test to dodge Ranged Attacks (may be taken twice for a cumulative +2 dice)
  • +1 DV when using a ranged weapon as a melee weapon in melee combat

« Last Edit: <03-05-11/0945:25> by tbrminsanity »
Some people call me crazy...  Maybe they are right.

tbrminsanity

• Newb
  • Have fun, play games!
« Reply #4 on: <03-05-11/0946:12> »
There is also the Firefight Martial Arts (Arsenal pg 157)
Some people call me crazy...  Maybe they are right.

aimlessfreak

• Chummer
« Reply #5 on: <03-05-11/1328:33> »
Yes, Firefight does more to reduce the penalty, but KM has a fistful of free actions. Weighing each against the other, what's the better option?

Krav Maga is also used to disarm and used when unarmed, yeah meta gaming it it might be better but Firefight is really gun fu
But I didn't know he was a DRAGON!

Sid

• Chummer
« Reply #6 on: <03-05-11/1448:54> »
You can call it meta-gaming if that suits you, (doesn't make sense to me) but I was asking is if those particular free actions are all they're cracked up to be. I guess that's a yes.

Looking on youtube to refresh my memory; Gun Kata is an art to be used armed or unarmed. Half the fights in the movie involved someone being disarmed and taken down with their own weapon, on the wrong end of a broken limb while holding a firearm, or both.
Firefight does none of those things, by fluff or crunch, but it does do the rest of the Gun Kata schtick - twirly, shooty, punching / kicking and pistol whipping.

On that thought, I'm going with grammaton cleric option C - mastery of Gun Kata is the full sum of these two styles.
« Last Edit: <03-05-11/1450:29> by Sid »

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #7 on: <03-05-11/1938:04> »
Anyone in/was in the Israeli Defense Force going to chime in on Krav Maga?
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #8 on: <03-05-11/1959:03> »
You don't have to be in the IDF to know a little Krav.  The short answer is that, like so much else in RPGs, the martial arts rules in SR4 are an abstraction.  For the most part the real world martial arts were researched okay, but then (by nature of the game) simplified before being given modifiers and stuff.  Krav is over-represented as a weapons oriented martial art by the SR rules, I think, but, well, it is what it is.  The rules are there, use 'em if you like.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #9 on: <03-05-11/2011:51> »
True 'nuff.  I mean, Parkour is known by people outside of France after all.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #10 on: <03-05-11/2039:40> »
Krav's gotten crazy popular here in the states in the last, oh, five years or so, too.  It kind of latched onto the MMA phase (and for good reason, since Krav is an MMA all by itself) and has spread from there.  It's a hell of a work out, too!

Kot

• Ace Runner
  • Meaow
« Reply #11 on: <03-06-11/0755:25> »
I wrote that already in another thread: Arsenal, Martial Arts section, Ares Firefight martial art. :)
Mariusz "Kot" Butrykowski
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup."

Charybdis

• Ace Runner
  • If it's last name is Dragon, first name Great: RUN
« Reply #12 on: <03-06-11/1824:58> »
Firefight does none of those things, by fluff or crunch, but it does do the rest of the Gun Kata schtick - twirly, shooty, punching / kicking and pistol whipping.

On that thought, I'm going with grammaton cleric option C - mastery of Gun Kata is the full sum of these two styles.
When Equilibrium first came out, I created a gun-fu adept with as close as I could get to Gun kata. This was back in 2nd ed, and looked something like:

- Adept Centering (Active Skill, Tai Chi)
- Blind Fighting (to counter those annoying shooting in full darkness/behind you modifiers)
- Killing Hands (Moderate)..it's an old 2nd ed term
- Increased Reflexes (2)
- Improved Combat Ability (Pistols)
- Improved ability (Athletics) ...in the old 2nd ed skill tree)
- High Unarmed, Firearms, Athletics skills
- Synthcardium booster, Sleep Regulator.....
and a few other things....

Under 4th edition, I've remade the same character as a Vampire Physad who believes Ares stole his Gun Kata and rebranded it as Firefight, cheating him out of Squillions in royalties....

I know near zero about Krav Maga (sp?). Heard it's getting pretty popular over in the US, but the same craze hasn't hit down under.
'Too much is never enough'

Current PC: Free Spirit (Norse Shamanic)
'Names are irrelevant. Which fake ID do you want me to quote from?'

Phreak Commandment V:
If Thou Be In School, Strive To Get Thine Self Good Grades, For The Authorities Well Know That Scholars Never Break The Law

WareWolf

• Newb
« Reply #13 on: <03-06-11/2042:03> »

Why choose one, learn a little Firefight, learn some Krav maga. That's what my Sammie did.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #14 on: <03-06-11/2107:24> »
A Little Bit Country, A Little Bit Rock 'N Roll...

#ThisTaserGoesTo11