NEWS

What happened to Deckers?

• 50 Replies

Octarine and Chrome

• Newb
« on: <02-07-11/1516:30> »
They have all become Hackers? Why? Deckers were a unique and cool part of Shadowrun. Now, they're gone?  :'(
I do not, not believe in ghost...or demons...or monsters: Ziva David

He who dies with the most toys gets looted.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #1 on: <02-07-11/1534:19> »
Just renamed since (most) don't use decks anymore, as they've been replaced by Augmented Reality and Commlinks.

Fortinbras

• Chummer
« Reply #2 on: <02-07-11/1626:43> »
In our old 2e game, we had a series of rules. The first rule was that the decker always dies!
While it was something that was very unique to Shadowrun, it was often not only the most tedious part of the game in terms of play and mechanics, but the idea of a decker seems antiquated.
In other modern setting RPGs my players often search for blueprints and info on NPCs using their phones. To have characters in a future setting incapable of wireless hacking, much less wireless data searching, is a suspension of disbelief that gets harder and harder every day.

Now, there is nothing to say that in your game powerful commlinks can't be the size of a deck and that the nomenclature of the Sixth World kept the word decker.
Heck, feel free to whip out those old edition rules or change the setting to your liking.

Personally, everyone I've encountered, save the few grognard capture purists, prefers the new rules and finds them more fluid and more believable in a future setting.
For those chummers who still enjoy the old frag and drek of the deckers, keep at it, omae. Ain't no party like an old school party 'cause an old school party don't stop.
« Last Edit: <02-07-11/1629:49> by Fortinbras »
O, proud Death, What feast is toward thine eternal cell, That thou so many princes at a shot So bloodily hast struck?
Fortinbras- Hamlet. Act V, Sceen II

Octarine and Chrome

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <02-07-11/1637:34> »
Actually, I love the way the wireless hacking works. It does seem oddly antiquated for the matrix to be wired ( like how Enterprize looke more high tech than the original Star Trek even though it happens earlier in the timeline?  :-[ )
Even shows like NCIS seem wildly high tech when you consider where the tech of Shadowrun is during the 2050s (real world progress, eh?  :o )
                Thought: Abby as a Technomancer???  :o  :-[ ::) 8)  :D ;D

I just like the word decker 8) I like the new Shadowrun, except fpr spme pf the magic stuff, but I'm puriest enough to let that go. ;)
I do not, not believe in ghost...or demons...or monsters: Ziva David

He who dies with the most toys gets looted.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #4 on: <02-07-11/1644:57> »
Now, there is nothing to say that in your game powerful commlinks can't be the size of a deck and that the nomenclature of the Sixth World kept the word decker.
Heck, feel free to whip out those old edition rules or change the setting to your liking.
Or, if you're like some old-tyme Ork deckers* out there, you can build the deck around a modern commlink. ;)

*Hey, Bull. ;)

Kot

• Ace Runner
  • Meaow
« Reply #5 on: <02-07-11/1700:41> »
And some of them stuff their old decks with modern electronics, plus an ex-ex loaded SMG. :)
Mariusz "Kot" Butrykowski
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup."

wraith

• Chummer
  • just another ghost in the machine
« Reply #6 on: <02-08-11/0147:53> »
I'm fairly sure that there are still some of the oldschool Deckers out there, laughing their asses off at how this new generation don't know jack nor frag about security.

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #7 on: <02-08-11/0217:25> »
@Octarine & Chrome

why don't You play a Hacker with the Streetname Decker ?
that would be two Birds with one Stone

He who dances with a Stone in His hand
Medicineman
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8

hobgoblin

• Omae
  • Panda!
« Reply #8 on: <02-08-11/0337:54> »
I'm fairly sure that there are still some of the oldschool Deckers out there, laughing their asses off at how this new generation don't know jack nor frag about security.
Fastjack is still around, and i think Slamm-o is heading into that territory ;)
Want to see my flash new jacket?

Kontact

• Prime Runner
  • You called?
« Reply #9 on: <02-08-11/0542:12> »
I've seen cyber-logician builds that are all about having a synth arm filled with 4 Clustered comlinks so that they have a Program limit high enough to run their own progs along with an Agent and a Worm, also stuffed with programs, all without taking too much of a hit to their Response.

hobgoblin

• Omae
  • Panda!
« Reply #10 on: <02-08-11/0552:41> »
Yep, clustering makes for some really "nasty" builds.
Want to see my flash new jacket?

Fortinbras

• Chummer
« Reply #11 on: <02-08-11/1928:39> »
I don't think nodes work like that. If they did everyone would have a 100 commlinks daisy chained and hacking/decking would be made impossible.

EDIT: For clarification, I'm not talking about clustering, but the old "You have to hack a hundred nodes before you can get to my commlink" argument, which, in retrospect, I don't think anyone was making. Sorry if there was any confusion.
« Last Edit: <02-08-11/2249:50> by Fortinbras »
O, proud Death, What feast is toward thine eternal cell, That thou so many princes at a shot So bloodily hast struck?
Fortinbras- Hamlet. Act V, Sceen II

Outrider45

« Reply #12 on: <02-08-11/2036:09> »

And there are none as old, nay....ancient...as Fastjack.  ;)

wraith

• Chummer
  • just another ghost in the machine
« Reply #13 on: <02-09-11/1936:18> »

And there are none as old, nay....ancient...as Fastjack.  ;)

Keep telling yourself that.  I'm sure it makes his ego happy, but there are stranger things in the 'trix, omae...

tbrminsanity

• Newb
  • Have fun, play games!
« Reply #14 on: <02-10-11/0855:45> »
In our old 2e game, we had a series of rules. The first rule was that the decker always dies!
While it was something that was very unique to Shadowrun, it was often not only the most tedious part of the game in terms of play and mechanics, but the idea of a decker seems antiquated.
In other modern setting RPGs my players often search for blueprints and info on NPCs using their phones. To have characters in a future setting incapable of wireless hacking, much less wireless data searching, is a suspension of disbelief that gets harder and harder every day.

Personally, everyone I've encountered, save the few grognard capture purists, prefers the new rules and finds them more fluid and more believable in a future setting.
For those chummers who still enjoy the old frag and drek of the deckers, keep at it, omae. Ain't no party like an old school party 'cause an old school party don't stop.

We weren't has harsh to our Decker but our GM did give the Decker a sheet of rolls he had to roll (and a specific order to roll them) and when he was done he handed the sheet over to the GM and the GM would tell us what happened.  In the mean time we played without the Decker.  The isolation caused our Decker to eventually become a Security Hacker so he could get in on the fun.  But that is more of a failing of the old Matrix rules.  I much prefer the new Hacker rules (they are closer to what the Security Hacker (aka Security Rigger) were like).  It makes them more a part of the team, while not losing their effectiveness. 

That being said I still have NPCs in my games that call old Hackers, Deckers.  "Hackers are those n00b kids that wouldn't know their butt from an UV site."  (Grizzled old security Decker)
Some people call me crazy...  Maybe they are right.