NEWS

insect spirits why are they bad?

• 202 Replies

Cranstonvm

• Chummer
  • Dragons everywhere!!!
« on: <05-06-12/0012:51> »

I know they are bad but why?
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

International Dieselpunk day November 12th http://www.dieselpunks.org/ for more information!

Angelone

• Ace Runner
  • A decent perfection
« Reply #1 on: <05-06-12/0027:17> »
They take over metahumans to exist seems to be one of the big reasons.
REJOICE! For bad things are about to happen.
la vida no vale nada

Overture

• Newb
  • Don't turn your back on the city.
« Reply #2 on: <05-06-12/0029:00> »
Also, they're the reason that no sane person goes into Chicago. That might have something to do with it.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #3 on: <05-06-12/0128:51> »
Take a cockroach.  An average, ordinary, everyday cockroach.

Tough bugger to kill, huh?  And is, what, the size of the palm of your hand at most?

Now make him the size of a Troll, with the Dermal Deposits and Chitin that implies.

That's ONE TYPE of Insect Spirit.

Got that part?  Good.

Now here's the next part:  They see Metahumanity the same way Locusts see grain.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

SpiderWord

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <05-06-12/0526:46> »

Tough bugger to kill, huh?  And is, what, the size of the palm of your hand at most?

Now make him the size of a Troll, with the Dermal Deposits and Chitin that implies.

Got that part?  Good.

Now here's the next part:  They see Metahumanity the same way Locusts see grain.

Mr. CanRay, you're always a source of inspiration *Nods*
"Where's the Dragon?" *Stomped*

Cailieg

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <05-06-12/1203:51> »
Which is why the Ares metaplot (current) hooks appeal to me so much.

I actually decided to get my players to accept a Shadowrun HorrorRun in which they are food being placed in a testing facility for Ares to test their insect program. They are not the infected, but the food. With the possibility of infection as they are also testing how dangerous releases would be.

After they get done feeling like the locust lunch grain store I will let the genie get out as it were, and they will be "conscripted" to help Ares (who just used them as food, again, if they survive they have unique skills against the hybrid) put the genie back in the bottle. Genie being a queen hybrid with some inspiration taken from Sil in Species, Dren in Splice etc, Alien(s) etc.

Bugs are horrible, and great for putting the fear of the Paranormal back into your players. Whether we call them Insect Spirits or Invae they are nasty, predatory abominations ripe for use by GMs who enjoy a bit of Horror in the 6th.

And if you ever feel like running a retro adventure. Universal Brotherhood. Amazing run that. Bug City is likewise an amazing piece of Shadowrun writing.

Alexis
*smiles*

« Last Edit: <05-06-12/1205:46> by Cailieg »

Marak1972

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <05-06-12/1208:09> »
Canray is a source of inspiration but he's also right.
no no no thats a BIG BUG
green - speech
blue - thought
Hello mon come on and letd get dis party started no

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #7 on: <05-06-12/1610:01> »
Canray is a source of inspiration but he's also right.
I just wish I could have learned the hard way too.   :'(
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Patrick Goodman

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Fixing the fixless since 2016
« Reply #8 on: <05-06-12/1734:49> »
And if you ever feel like running a retro adventure. Universal Brotherhood. Amazing run that. Bug City is likewise an amazing piece of Shadowrun writing.
QFT.
Former Shadowrun Errata Coordinator

Patrick Goodman

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Fixing the fixless since 2016
« Reply #9 on: <05-06-12/1746:36> »
I just wish I could have learned the hard way too.   :'(
I do feel sorry for you there. I still remember the abject terror the first time I went through Missing Blood, since the guy who was running things for us at the time hadn't even let us see the fraggin' cover. We didn't have any idea what was about to happen. It was like Aliens on steroids before it was all over.
Former Shadowrun Errata Coordinator

Cranstonvm

• Chummer
  • Dragons everywhere!!!
« Reply #10 on: <05-06-12/1750:54> »

Got that part?  Good.

Thanks

Another question about insect spirits. Do they operate like a tactical network, like in unwired 124-127? Or could they with the right people possessed?
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

International Dieselpunk day November 12th http://www.dieselpunks.org/ for more information!

WellSpokenRunner

• Newb
  • Just a simple man trying to not get eaten by Lofyr
« Reply #11 on: <05-06-12/1758:05> »
I think the reason insect spirits are so damn evil are that they were the first big magical meta threat in SR (if I remember correctly).  Before the Horrors and Earthdawn tie ins, the bugs seemed to come out of nowhere.  I started playing the second ed and I remember the little blurb about how insect spirits were a dangerous and evil presence.  That was it.  And when I read more into the world it just blew me away.  (I'm also jealous that I never played Universal Brotherhood properly when it came out back in the first ed days). 

I think the cool thing about the Bugs are that they offer so many options.  You can do a straight bug hunt, a psychological horror run, a post-apocalyptic survival mission in Bug City, the whole deal. 

CitizenJoe

• Ace Runner
« Reply #12 on: <05-06-12/1823:00> »
Is anyone else concerned that while Dunkelzahn put out bounties on blood mages and toxic shamans, insect shamans were conspicuously absent.

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #13 on: <05-06-12/1944:17> »
Tough bugger to kill, huh?  And is, what, the size of the palm of your hand at most?.
Do you have baby hands or giant roaches up in Canuckistan?

NinthSphere

• Chummer
« Reply #14 on: <05-06-12/2024:07> »
Seriously. Palm-sized cockroaches would have me reaching for a Predator, if not something bigger.