NEWS

Coms

• 11 Replies

JmOz01

• Omae
« on: <08-26-12/2012:51> »
So my Hacker friend is confused, and I can't answer his question.  How does one get a comlink with stats in the 7-10 range.  We see the system, Firewall rules for it, but can't find how to get it so it can have such high programs (As the best we can do is a rating 4+2=6).  What are we missing?

WSN0W

• Chummer
  • Never let a friend fool you twice.
« Reply #1 on: <08-26-12/2018:24> »
War! has all that super militech stuff.

JmOz01

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <08-26-12/2230:44> »
My thanks.  May have to pick up the book, or at least the add on to Hero Lab...

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #3 on: <08-26-12/2259:01> »
Milspec commlinks are also insanely expensive, and have availabilities that start in the mid to high 20s. What's good about this is that you won't see too many of those being used against you, unless you've SEVERELY screwed up.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #4 on: <08-27-12/0526:49> »
Milspec commlinks are also insanely expensive, and have availabilities that start in the mid to high 20s. What's good about this is that you won't see too many of those being used against you, unless you've SEVERELY screwed up.

And at that point you've got other things to worry about, like guys in Heavy Milspec Armor.
« Last Edit: <08-27-12/0852:03> by JustADude »
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

TheNarrator

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <08-27-12/0734:49> »
Milspec commlinks are also insanely expensive, and have availabilities that start in the mid to high 20s.
The exception being the Battle Buddy Basic, which is probably the best stock commlink available to a starting character (Response, Signal, Armored Case and EMP Hardening all at Rating 5, Availability 8R) and quite a bargain at 10,000 nuyen.

But any hardware or software with a Rating 7 or better is way beyond the reach of a starting character, and rather expensive to boot.

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #6 on: <08-30-12/0111:29> »
Also, ratings above 6 degrade. Which to me is stupid, since you're paying an exorbitant fee for stuff that'll lose it's special rating in a couple of months, but thems the rules.

-k

_Pax_

« Reply #7 on: <08-30-12/0211:56> »
I looooove the Battle Buddy Basic, even if it's name is stupid.  :)

TheNarrator

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <08-30-12/0506:12> »
As do I. Great commlink, and very reasonable for an ex-military or merc character to have.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #9 on: <08-30-12/1008:45> »
"Why the hell couldn't they have named it something more military, like the M1 Commlink, or, I don't know, the Puma?"  "What did we tell you about make fictitious animal names again?"  "THE PUMA IS REAL!!!"
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

_Pax_

« Reply #10 on: <08-30-12/1332:18> »
As do I. Great commlink, and very reasonable for an ex-military or merc character to have.
And for a serious hacker.  "Surplus MilSpec", plus it has the stats and features to suit.

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #11 on: <08-30-12/1856:58> »
And for a serious hacker.  "Surplus MilSpec", plus it has the stats and features to suit.

And, as a note for "Serious Hackers", the best bet is the Renraku Suterusu, rather than the Transys Cybernaut, for getting optimum performance once you have money to spend on upgrading from the Battle Buddy Basic.

The Cybernaut costs 32,250¥ more than the Suterusu, and you'll still have to pay to upgrade either one to reach Response 10, which is going to cost 192,000¥ regardless of which one you upgrade from.

The only difference is that the Suterusu is going to cap out at Signal 9 (12,500¥), vs Signal 10 (17,250¥) for the Cybernaut. That means, in essence, you pay an extra 37,000¥ for one extra point of Signal. With that hefty chunk of change, you could afford to buy ECCM 6 with the Ergonomic option and still have over 30,000¥ left over to put towards Exploit 10.
« Last Edit: <08-30-12/1858:45> by JustADude »
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me