NEWS

What is the current general opinion on 5E products?

• 243 Replies

Backgammon

• Freelancer
  • Chummer
« Reply #150 on: <01-12-16/1108:08> »
I'd like to see Catalyst write something about why they can't get their Shadowrun act together.

How come their rules supplements are stuffed with more fluff than you can shake a stick at.?
What is the rational for that vs. putting it all in a coherent campaign sourcebook?
For example CFD would have been far better served as it's own campaign sourcebook rather than strewing it's fluff across multiple rulebooks.

Why can't they get their rules to work together without constant contradictions between books?

Why can't they focus on editing the rules in the rulebooks such that they are accurate and make sense (see Rigger 5.0's incomplete rules, contradictions on rules between the written description and tables)?

Why don't they have errata out by now for the older books?

Why does their customer service suck so terribly? (see posts in the forum here and elsewhere).

These are the basics of creating and managing a PnP RPG and Catalyst seems to be able to do ok with Battletech and yet they fail so miserably with Shadowrun.

Answering those questions would go a long way towards shedding some light on why their products are so poor for Srun.
It might even help them internally to make themselves into a better company by asking the hard questions and getting the right people in the right positions instead of continuing to pump out more sub-standard work riddled with rules errors and horrific editing.

Since I happen to be in this thread and feeling slightly calm right now, I'll take a stab here. I'm warning you now though, you will in no way feel better after this. But you asked for it:

>How come their rules supplements are stuffed with more fluff than you can shake a stick at.?
It is YOUR OPINION that there is too much fluff. That is not a fact. Your opinion is not universally shared. You need to accept this fact.

>What is the rational for that vs. putting it all in a coherent campaign sourcebook?
>For example CFD would have been far better served as it's own campaign sourcebook rather than strewing it's fluff across multiple rulebooks.
That is YOUR OPINION and is not a fact. Further than that, it is an editorial dictum that we writers do it that way. Jason believed this was the best way to push this metaplot and so instructed us to write that way. That was the mechanical process. I repeat that it is YOUR OPINION that you disliked this. It does not make it a fact.

>Why can't they get their rules to work together without constant contradictions between books?
Different freelancers work on different things. So you know that story how Star Trek has this "bible" and everyone who works on anything gets fact checked so the unniverse is always ensured to be coherent? Yeah, we don't have that. We have a few fallible human beings that, with very little tools, try to make it all work. It pinches us all when we make a mistake like that. We hate it. We also do our best to make sure it doesn't happen. But it does. It doesn't happen super often though. I do not believe there are any means whatsoever that will see a reduction of that error rate, as the options are not affordable to CGL.

>Why can't they focus on editing the rules in the rulebooks such that they are accurate and make sense (see Rigger 5.0's incomplete rules, contradictions on rules between the written description and tables)?
Different sections of each book are written by different authors, who do their best. Editors review the work, but only to a certain extent. Basically, there isn't the type of super in-depth cross-checking necessary to ensure super smooth books. Back in the old days, one author would write one book. It was easier for them to ensure super smooth consistency. But books aren't written like that anymore and that isn't going to change. So, you get more books faster with more diversity, but the downside is it's harder to be flawless in conherence.

> Why don't they have errata out by now for the older books?
Quite frankly, that is a mystery. All I know is that it is not in the freelancer's hands. I know nothing more.

>Why does their customer service suck so terribly? (see posts in the forum here and elsewhere).
Don't know. Speculation extrapolated from what I know: because they do not have the qualitifed staff to properly service customers. That is unlikely to change due to the very profit-poor nature of the industry.

>These are the basics of creating and managing a PnP RPG and Catalyst seems to be able to do ok with Battletech and yet they fail so miserably with Shadowrun.
IN YOUR UNQUALIFIED OPINION THAT HAS NEXT TO NO VISIBILITY IN THE PROCESSES AND IN THE NATURE OF RUNNING SUCH A BUSINESS. Just pointing that out again. Opinion, not fact.

>Answering those questions would go a long way towards shedding some light on why their products are so poor for Srun.
Well, hope this helped.

>It might even help them internally to make themselves into a better company by asking the hard questions and getting the right people in the right positions instead of continuing to pump out more sub-standard work riddled with rules errors and horrific editing.
This is a good closing point. IRL, while I wear many hats, one of the things you could say I am is a business analyst. Optimizing businesses and their business processes is something I do, and do exceedingly well. So big disclaimer: I have NEVER discussed the intricacies of CGL business operation with anyone at CGL. This is PURE observation, from a very narrow window. That being said. what I observe is pretty simple: CGL, as a business, does not have the resources to change and improve. The people that are in place are mostly capped in their abilities, due to both raw knowledge and time available. To change, CGL needs to hire more people in more places. These people cost money. Money CGL does not have. And the return on investment WOULD NOT BE THERE. That is the most important point. CGL would likely go out of business if they attempted to significantly improve their processes.
So, improvements do happen. As I said in my previous post, some feedback is taken in. Some feedback HAS been taken in. But overall, you need to understand the business of publishing RPG books is a piss-poor business that operates with pennies. There isn't much room to make big changes we can all see are needed. There just isn't the money to do so.
My Shadowrun Pinterest collections: Landscape and Characters
My Shadowrun works

adzling

« Reply #151 on: <01-12-16/1109:40> »
If that is true ALL4bg that's mightily strange, the fluff wont sell cause no-one wants it so we'll make it take over the rulebooks?!?!
How does that make sense?

Regarding your second point, read the forum here dedicated to Catalyst customer service, these people are nicely asking repeatedly in many ways over many months can they please get their products they paid for and no response from Catalyst until finally AJ is able to make contact after repeated attempts and then, sometimes, they get around to sending out the product.
That's a miserable fail.

How come their rules supplements are stuffed with more fluff than you can shake a stick at.?
What is the rational for that vs. putting it all in a coherent campaign sourcebook?

They've given rationale that they won't do the separate "fluff" books because they're worried they won't sell. So, unfortunately, it seems like we're going to have to continue dealing with "fluff" overload, since the general atmosphere of vocal complainers reinforces any 'won't sell' viewpoint.

Why does their customer service suck so terribly? (see posts in the forum here and elsewhere).

Honestly, when someone comes in voicing complaints about 'poor customer service', my first thought is generally thinking "What the heck did you say to them?" about the one complaining. Customer service people are human beings as well, but many customers consider them to be machines there only to be a sounding board for their vitriol.

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #152 on: <01-12-16/1124:28> »
If that is true ALL4bg that's mightily strange, the fluff wont sell cause no-one wants it so we'll make it take over the rulebooks?!?!
How does that make sense?

Honestly, IMO, it doesn't, and I miss having the primarily rules books only having the "fluff" absolutely necessary to explain the stuff therein while the rest of the "fluff" is in books like Shadows of North America and stuff. I honestly can't understand the point here.

This is actually my main beef along with the lack of actual creation rules for weapons and vehicles (could be interesting to see them for cyberdecks, RCCs and armor, but we've never quite had that for those). I know that I can't be the only one that wants to see those make a comeback; unfortunately like most things and most people, I can't prove this :( .

Regarding your second point, read the forum here dedicated to Catalyst customer service, these people are nicely asking repeatedly in many ways over many months can they please get their products they paid for and no response from Catalyst until finally AJ is able to make contact after repeated attempts and then, sometimes, they get around to sending out the product.
That's a miserable fail.

They seem to once they come here, but that's why that thought enters my head. Along with that thought comes doubt that they were all that polite in their initial contact. This doubt comes from seeing bad attitude customers in action.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

adzling

« Reply #153 on: <01-12-16/1130:30> »
Thanks for taking a risk by posting this Backgammon, it's the most coherent explanation I have heard to date.

For what it's worth I'll respond inline.
I hope I can get the quote tags working properly.

Since I happen to be in this thread and feeling slightly calm right now, I'll take a stab here. I'm warning you now though, you will in no way feel better after this. But you asked for it:

>How come their rules supplements are stuffed with more fluff than you can shake a stick at.?
It is YOUR OPINION that there is too much fluff. That is not a fact. Your opinion is not universally shared. You need to accept this fact.

No doubt, it's my opinion.
Not a universal one, but a common one.
I feel (and this could be wrong) if they spent less time authoring, editing and putting in fluff they could spend more time to get the rules right.
If you have a finite, constricted resource (editor time) then spend it where it matters most, getting the rules right.
This seems like basic logic when writing a RULE SYSTEM.
Perhaps its not so obvious from the other side of the table.
I'd like to see Catalyst change their mind about this.
Get the rules right, then add in fluff with whatever left over resources they have.

>What is the rational for that vs. putting it all in a coherent campaign sourcebook?
>For example CFD would have been far better served as it's own campaign sourcebook rather than strewing it's fluff across multiple rulebooks.
That is YOUR OPINION and is not a fact. Further than that, it is an editorial dictum that we writers do it that way. Jason believed this was the best way to push this metaplot and so instructed us to write that way. That was the mechanical process. I repeat that it is YOUR OPINION that you disliked this. It does not make it a fact.

True, my opinion no doubt.
However if a book's focus is, for example, Extractions (see Stolen Souls) then why spend so much of the book talking about something entirely different (CFD)?
See Hard Targets et al.
It seems to make no sense, their not CFD books.
But, in the end, it's my opinion, no doubt.

>Why can't they get their rules to work together without constant contradictions between books?
Different freelancers work on different things. So you know that story how Star Trek has this "bible" and everyone who works on anything gets fact checked so the unniverse is always ensured to be coherent? Yeah, we don't have that. We have a few fallible human beings that, with very little tools, try to make it all work. It pinches us all when we make a mistake like that. We hate it. We also do our best to make sure it doesn't happen. But it does. It doesn't happen super often though. I do not believe there are any means whatsoever that will see a reduction of that error rate, as the options are not affordable to CGL.

Why not employ a few freelancers to work as a "round table" that ensure rulebooks are coherently edited and work together rather than against each other?
Take the hours from the fluff, it's overwhelming (my opinion).
It would help the rules greatly.

>Why can't they focus on editing the rules in the rulebooks such that they are accurate and make sense (see Rigger 5.0's incomplete rules, contradictions on rules between the written description and tables)?
Different sections of each book are written by different authors, who do their best. Editors review the work, but only to a certain extent. Basically, there isn't the type of super in-depth cross-checking necessary to ensure super smooth books. Back in the old days, one author would write one book. It was easier for them to ensure super smooth consistency. But books aren't written like that anymore and that isn't going to change. So, you get more books faster with more diversity, but the downside is it's harder to be flawless in conherence.

Right.
So my response would be to focus my limited resources on getting stuff right, rather than making the problem worse.
See my recommendation above for pruning the hours spent on fluff and dedicating those hours to turning out accurate, well authored rules.
Produce fluff with left over man hours.
That approach could produce well written and edited rulebooks that have still have plenty of fluff.
See Battletech.

> Why don't they have errata out by now for the older books?
Quite frankly, that is a mystery. All I know is that it is not in the freelancer's hands. I know nothing more.

Fair nuff.
I have to respect you just for taking a risk and posting this.
But again, see battletech's well managed errata updates.
Clearly they know how to get this right, so why can't they spend some time to replicate this for shadowrun rather than paying for more fluff?

>Why does their customer service suck so terribly? (see posts in the forum here and elsewhere).
Don't know. Speculation extrapolated from what I know: because they do not have the qualitifed staff to properly service customers. That is unlikely to change due to the very profit-poor nature of the industry.

This is understandable to some extent (no one expects a person to answer a phone) but it does not explain why a customer service email address cannot answer and resolve missing items very quickly and easily.

>These are the basics of creating and managing a PnP RPG and Catalyst seems to be able to do ok with Battletech and yet they fail so miserably with Shadowrun.
IN YOUR UNQUALIFIED OPINION THAT HAS NEXT TO NO VISIBILITY IN THE PROCESSES AND IN THE NATURE OF RUNNING SUCH A BUSINESS. Just pointing that out again. Opinion, not fact.

Sure, it's my opinion.
However it is fact that they have focussed on fluff over accurate rules, customer service, errata, updated PDFs etc.
Personally I'd like to see them cut back fluff and spend the man hours where it counts, on getting rules right.
The fact that they are not makes me draw the conclusion (could be wrong) that fluff is very cheap to author and edit compared to making sure rules work, that books do not contradict each other and that rules are authored properly.

>Answering those questions would go a long way towards shedding some light on why their products are so poor for Srun.
Well, hope this helped.

Sure, it's great to see you engaged and providing some insight.
It would be nice if Catalyst themselves could do so.

>It might even help them internally to make themselves into a better company by asking the hard questions and getting the right people in the right positions instead of continuing to pump out more sub-standard work riddled with rules errors and horrific editing.
This is a good closing point. IRL, while I wear many hats, one of the things you could say I am is a business analyst. Optimizing businesses and their business processes is something I do, and do exceedingly well. So big disclaimer: I have NEVER discussed the intricacies of CGL business operation with anyone at CGL. This is PURE observation, from a very narrow window. That being said. what I observe is pretty simple: CGL, as a business, does not have the resources to change and improve. The people that are in place are mostly capped in their abilities, due to both raw knowledge and time available. To change, CGL needs to hire more people in more places. These people cost money. Money CGL does not have. And the return on investment WOULD NOT BE THERE. That is the most important point. CGL would likely go out of business if they attempted to significantly improve their processes.
So, improvements do happen. As I said in my previous post, some feedback is taken in. Some feedback HAS been taken in. But overall, you need to understand the business of publishing RPG books is a piss-poor business that operates with pennies. There isn't much room to make big changes we can all see are needed. There just isn't the money to do so.

Yeah I understand we play a game that is tiny compared to the revenue generated by video games.
But if battletech can get it mostly right how come Shadowrun can't?
How come they focus so much on fluff and not on getting things right?

Those are questions worth answering.

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #154 on: <01-12-16/1142:26> »
How come they focus so much on fluff and not on getting things right?

This could be somewhat resulting from the growth of the 'roleplay don't rollplay' crowd in recent years. Caring about rules seems to be 'BadWrongFun' these days.

adzling

« Reply #155 on: <01-12-16/1147:20> »
Well i'm firmly in the "roleplay don't rollplay" camp (at least when we're talking about RPGs, tactical wargames are fun in their own right) but I still want my rules to work and be consistent.

Everything flows from there.

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #156 on: <01-12-16/1150:42> »
Well i'm firmly in the "roleplay don't rollplay" camp (at least when we're talking about RPGs, tactical wargames are fun in their own right) but I still want my rules to work and be consistent.

Everything flows from there.

Well, a lot of that camp seems to go so far as to think that wanting to roll the dice for anything other than combat is bad. At least that's the impression I get from them.

You appear to be an anomaly from that camp on the matter.

Banshee

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #157 on: <01-12-16/1200:45> »
I don't normally reply to threads like this since ultimately it rarely does much good, but I have to chime in at least a little bit.

Changes have been made, and are continuing to be made ... it boils down to what much of Backgammon said, CGL only has so many resources and therefore relies on freelancers and volunteers who love the game and continue to want to see it exist and evolve.

one change I can personally talk about as a volunteer there is more rules review by committee happening now ... I got to work on portions of Rigger 5.0 and will continue to work on more as things develop and it is my personal goal to eliminate as much of the contradicting rules as I can.
Robert "Banshee" Volbrecht
Freelancer & FAQ Committee member
Former RPG Lead Agent
Catalyst Demo Team

adzling

« Reply #158 on: <01-12-16/1224:30> »
That's encouraging to hear but is particularly odd when you consider all the contradictions in Rigger 5.0, both internally between the tables and the descriptions and externally between Rigger 5.0 and Core.

one change I can personally talk about as a volunteer there is more rules review by committee happening now ... I got to work on portions of Rigger 5.0 and will continue to work on more as things develop and it is my personal goal to eliminate as much of the contradicting rules as I can.

Banshee

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #159 on: <01-12-16/1230:43> »
yeah I knew someone would point that out, that's why I emphasized "portions" ... I never got to see the drones or the modification rules until after it was published. :-\
Robert "Banshee" Volbrecht
Freelancer & FAQ Committee member
Former RPG Lead Agent
Catalyst Demo Team

falar

• Omae
  • The Fourth Jesse
« Reply #160 on: <01-12-16/1238:26> »
Why not employ a few freelancers to work as a "round table" that ensure rulebooks are coherently edited and work together rather than against each other?
Money.

Freelancers are generally paid in a very simple way - 1 to 5 cents per word. They get their stuff done, they turn it in, they get paid on some schedule. This is how freelancing mostly works.

What you're proposing is not a freelancer position, but an hourly editorial position shared by a bunch of people. So this means that instead of the normal cents/word contract, we have to have a new contract. Not only that, we have to have a contract that is hourly, builds in the need for different levels of work ...

Oh, that's an employee position and therefore not something a freelancer would do. And we don't have the money for a couple more employees (because employees are much more expensive than freelancers), so we don't have the money to do that.

MijRai

• Ace Runner
  • Kane's Understudy
« Reply #161 on: <01-12-16/1337:56> »
While it's been over a year since I offered, I'd still do some volunteer editing and quality control if given the opportunity.  I have some professional editing experience (which is part of why the flaws gall me so much). 
Would you want to go into a place where the resident had a drum-fed shotgun and can see in the dark?

adzling

« Reply #162 on: <01-12-16/1346:38> »
So for Rigger 5.0 back of napkin math shows between 500 and 1000 words per page at@185 pages = 92,500 words x 5 cents per word = $4625 dollars to sub out Rigger 5.

Assuming $20 per hour to pay a freelancer to edit a book for rules clarity and consistency (just the basic so stuff is actually you know written so that it makes sense and does not contradict itself) and assuming said persons spend about 10 hours on the book (plenty of time to capture the obvious errors such as borked tables or equipment description not matching tables) then we're talking $200 bucks

You would sacrifice about $200/ $0.05 = 4000 words of fluff or about 8 pages of an 185 page book.

I would call that incredible value.

There is another way to approach this (actually probably make sense to employ this in addition to above):
EDIT THE PDFs for accuracy after first publishing!
Have the community point out all the editing errors you missed then spend 30 or 40 hours to revise the PDF to fix the errors and republish.
At $50 an hour (let's pay their layout person a bit more) that would be about $2,000.

Well worth the money to keep your playerbase happy and produce good quality product.

I'm sure the above grossly over simplifies things but the point is the fluff is killing Shadowrun.

The focus on it above the most important thing, getting the rules right, is killing this game and making it unplayable.

Another way to look at is this:
Battletech process works for the most part, copy that into the Shadowrun process.

Money.

Freelancers are generally paid in a very simple way - 1 to 5 cents per word. They get their stuff done, they turn it in, they get paid on some schedule. This is how freelancing mostly works.

What you're proposing is not a freelancer position, but an hourly editorial position shared by a bunch of people. So this means that instead of the normal cents/word contract, we have to have a new contract. Not only that, we have to have a contract that is hourly, builds in the need for different levels of work ...

Oh, that's an employee position and therefore not something a freelancer would do. And we don't have the money for a couple more employees (because employees are much more expensive than freelancers), so we don't have the money to do that.

thePrimarch

• Newb
« Reply #163 on: <01-12-16/1357:15> »
Thanks for the clarification, Backgammon. Most of this seems to stem from issues fairly common to PnP game companies, and to be honest, I can't really blame you guys for most of those. I think CGL's marketshare is still fairly small compared to WotC's or Paizo's, and probably Fantasy Flight's too. I'm not saying that to pick on you guys, I'm just pointing out that I think most of the companies with really good editing practices (FF excluded, their editing varies a lot) have a lot more money to swing around.

Jason believed this was the best way to push this metaplot and so instructed us to write that way.

If that is editorial mandate, well... I don't particularly agree with it, but that's the way that goes. Any ideas as to why? Was it because of issues selling metaplot splats in 4E?

Also, awkward question time: anything we can do to help out? I'd rather contribute than complain, and a lot of the complaints have been focused on manpower issues (i.e. having enough people and enough time to edit everything).

adzling

« Reply #164 on: <01-12-16/1407:53> »
Not sure if it's a viable idea but:
1). crowd-sourcing the errata/ corrections to the playerbase (frankly history has shown we are far better editors/ error catchers than Catalyst)
2). paying a layout/editor to fix the PDFs (take the money out of the fluff word count ffs)
3). then republishing them before gong to hardcopy print seems like a potential route to leverage the community engagement without increasing spending on production

It could result in far better product imho.

Also, awkward question time: anything we can do to help out? I'd rather contribute than complain, and a lot of the complaints have been focused on manpower issues (i.e. having enough people and enough time to edit everything).