NEWS

So, apparently, Osama Bin Laden has been shot and killed in a US military operat

• 58 Replies

Rockopolis

• Omae
  • Severe Shadowrun Addiction
« Reply #15 on: <05-02-11/1314:09> »
It would make for an interesting Shadowrun game, if kinda bland; no twist (yet?).

As for my Shadowrun of the mission?  Send in the trolls.  Panther-armed, Military Armor-clad cyborg trolls.  Subtlety is for when killing someone gets you bad press.

The thing I thought when I first heard the news was "Is he really dead?" Not in the "faked mission" or misidentification way, but in the Room 101, "Data Extraction" way.

Also, the celebrations gave but mixed feelings.  I don't really begrudge them, but it seems...barbaric, I guess?  Kinda makes me think of those blood feuds that always seem to happen in other countries.  I'd thought we were more 'civilized'; he's dead, check him off the balance sheet, get back to work.

I also thought the comparison to Che Guevara was interesting, though he's not as photogenic.
Shadowrunners are reminded that the Fashion Police are a real organization and will they will be deployed at the first sign of defiance.
Mossy the Mentat Looking for a game.

Mystic

• Freelancer
  • Omae
  • Word Mercenary
« Reply #16 on: <05-02-11/1336:35> »
If this was a shadowrun (in a highly aspected background count, so magic is useless :P ), how would you do it?

Pretty much like it went down, other than a disinformation campaign or some kind of decoy operation.
Find the target, determine resistance, dynamic assault, go in hard, fast, get in and out. Not much else to say. Taken at face value, I wouldn't be suprised if this ends up being taught as a textbook example of a fast assault; up there with the 101st when they assaulted German '88 guns in the beginning of Operation: Overlord.

But me, I would want more information before I opinionate further; and I doubt we will get too much in the way of operational details right away.

What gets me on this is that in the IC section, I've been sort of doing a story similar to this raid. Personally, it's kind of eerie for me, and Im not sure how much farther I want to go with it now.
Bringing chaos, mayhem, and occasionally cookies to the Sixth World since 2052!

"Just because it's easy for you doesn't mean it can't be hard on your clients"-Rule 38, The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries, Schlock Mercenary.

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« Reply #17 on: <05-02-11/1446:10> »
Well Ive heard that he was taller...
« Last Edit: <05-02-11/1510:42> by Sichr »

bigity

• Omae
« Reply #18 on: <05-02-11/1553:13> »
Hahaha, ok your sig about PSN is awesome.

And too sadly accurate.

Charybdis

• Ace Runner
  • If it's last name is Dragon, first name Great: RUN
« Reply #19 on: <05-02-11/2024:07> »
I'd have Pup the Dog Shaman do Magical Surveillance, find the location and put a fist-sized hole in the wall, Murphy and Money put hunting rifle rounds through said weakness, then Nas would be the getaway driver with Speeder running Matrix Oversight and providing misinformation for the pursuit teams.  :P
And without Magical surveillance or a magically assisted fist-sized hole (due to associated and specified background count so high magic is unusable).

You're still blind (no idea where target is) but have your snipers and rigger ready to go.

What happens?
'Too much is never enough'

Current PC: Free Spirit (Norse Shamanic)
'Names are irrelevant. Which fake ID do you want me to quote from?'

Phreak Commandment V:
If Thou Be In School, Strive To Get Thine Self Good Grades, For The Authorities Well Know That Scholars Never Break The Law

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #20 on: <05-02-11/2138:52> »
I'd have Pup the Dog Shaman do Magical Surveillance, find the location and put a fist-sized hole in the wall, Murphy and Money put hunting rifle rounds through said weakness, then Nas would be the getaway driver with Speeder running Matrix Oversight and providing misinformation for the pursuit teams.  :P
And without Magical surveillance or a magically assisted fist-sized hole (due to associated and specified background count so high magic is unusable).

You're still blind (no idea where target is) but have your snipers and rigger ready to go.

What happens?
Well, I don't really have a Drone Rigger of any sort...  So I figure Money would go to Plan B, which means high explosives and lots of them.  :P
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Charybdis

• Ace Runner
  • If it's last name is Dragon, first name Great: RUN
« Reply #21 on: <05-03-11/0209:08> »

What happens?
Well, I don't really have a Drone Rigger of any sort...  So I figure Money would go to Plan B, which means high explosives and lots of them.  :P
So, explosives getting primed and ready even though target is only assumed to be inside?

Cold :P
'Too much is never enough'

Current PC: Free Spirit (Norse Shamanic)
'Names are irrelevant. Which fake ID do you want me to quote from?'

Phreak Commandment V:
If Thou Be In School, Strive To Get Thine Self Good Grades, For The Authorities Well Know That Scholars Never Break The Law

John Schmidt

• Omae
« Reply #22 on: <05-03-11/0220:17> »
I for one would like to thank all of our soldiers for their sacrafice and dedication along with SpecForce Operators in this action. From what I have heard it was well planned and thoughtful, right down to the burial at sea and as such would like to commend the President and his Administration for a job well done.

It is strange, I don't feel jubilant over the news of Bin Laden's death only a somber quiet.
It's not the one with your name on it; it's the one addressed "to whom it may concern" you've got to think about.

Teyl_Iliar

• Omae
  • Professionals, Don't cross them.
« Reply #23 on: <05-03-11/0258:24> »
I for one would like to thank all of our soldiers for their sacrafice and dedication along with SpecForce Operators in this action. From what I have heard it was well planned and thoughtful, right down to the burial at sea and as such would like to commend the President and his Administration for a job well done.

It is strange, I don't feel jubilant over the news of Bin Laden's death only a somber quiet.
I feel the same, having spent a fair amount of my 4 years playing hide and seek with his guys, I look at this as a moment that deserves some peace after all the violence that beset it. Semper fi to our Marines and Special Operators.

Now we'll have to see where this all goes...
« Last Edit: <05-03-11/0304:51> by Teyl_Iliar »
UB
Brick
speaking
ITF
Slip
speaking
thinking
comm

Mara

• Ace Runner
« Reply #24 on: <05-03-11/0755:11> »
For me, while this is great news, it is also kind of scary. I mean, the action
itself is the first time in American history where a sitting President has,
through actions, said "Assassination? It is on the table!" Not even Kennedy,
with all the CIA operations against Cuba, ever stated that assassination was an
option. No matter your politics, no matter your party or country of origin, this
is a BIG game changer. This didn't change the rules, this changed the whole,
bloody game.

bigity

• Omae
« Reply #25 on: <05-03-11/0936:01> »
For me, while this is great news, it is also kind of scary. I mean, the action
itself is the first time in American history where a sitting President has,
through actions, said "Assassination? It is on the table!" Not even Kennedy,
with all the CIA operations against Cuba, ever stated that assassination was an
option. No matter your politics, no matter your party or country of origin, this
is a BIG game changer. This didn't change the rules, this changed the whole,
bloody game.

Uh, you are a little naive.

EDIT:  Not to sound like a jerk, but assassinating key people has been and always will be a part of warfare.
« Last Edit: <05-03-11/0938:22> by bigity »

bigity

• Omae
« Reply #26 on: <05-03-11/0937:14> »

I feel the same, having spent a fair amount of my 4 years playing hide and seek with his guys, I look at this as a moment that deserves some peace after all the violence that beset it. Semper fi to our Marines and Special Operators.

Here here, proud to have spent my military service involved in the intel side of the house, but the guys putting boots on the ground will always have my respect as well.

Digital_Viking

• Omae
« Reply #27 on: <05-03-11/1008:18> »

I'm the same Teyl - no happy dance when Adid died (though that was a heart attack and not the result of an op) and now I'm just looking for a moment of quiet for my brothers and sisters in The Suck.

Semper Fi and much <3 for the SEALs - "Ready to Lead, Ready to Follow, Never Quit" (coincidentally the only squids worth a damn *grin*)
"Which is better and which is worse,I wonder - To understand or to not understand?"
"Understanding is always worse. To not understand is to never carry the burden of responsibility. Understanding is pain. But anything less is unacceptable."

PeterSmith

• Ace Runner
« Reply #28 on: <05-03-11/1012:33> »
First off, what's with your formatting? Are you manually hitting enter at the end of every line rather than letting the system automatically wrap your text?

I mean, the action itself is the first time in American history where a sitting President has, through actions, said "Assassination? It is on the table!"

Technically it was not an assassination. At the time of his death Osama bin Laden was not a politician, nor was he ever one. He was the head of an irregular military organization as well as a soldier in said organization. The mission, while I will agree was a headhunting mission, does not rise to the level of assassination. In addition, it was George W. Bush who did make the comment around November 2001 that the Wild West had wanted posters with the "Dead or Alive" condition. Even if you could argue that the mission was an assassination, Barak Obama was not the first seated President to think along these lines.
« Last Edit: <05-03-11/1014:20> by PeterSmith »
Power corrupts.
Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Peter Smith has the deadest of deadpans and a very sly smile, making talking to him a fun game of keeping up and slinging the next subtle zinger." - Jason M. Hardy, 3 August 2015

savaze

• Omae
  • I'm a zombie/quadriplegic hybrid
« Reply #29 on: <05-03-11/1053:20> »
The psychological impact of this isn't going to stop/slow things like it could have if it happened 9-10 years ago. Osama's been in hiding so long he's acting as Mr morale through video while some other extremist leads. It's a moment for US troops to check the box on another thing accomplished, but they aren't leaving. Mr Obama can't claim credit for this farther than saying he hadn't gotten around to undoing what the prior president set in motion.

I'm not in the best of mood this morning, so I should probably cut myself short on what I want to say... I'm happy for my fellow soldiers and the chance they get to rejoice, but it's not over...