NEWS

Shadowrun 5th in Alexandria, VA. Starting a campaign.

• 13 Replies

theclaw

• Newb
« on: <04-15-18/0012:27> »
Hi there

I'm about to start a Shadowrun 5th Ed Campaign. I am a beginner GM at SR5 but I've played the game and SR4 for more or less a decade now :)

Who am I looking for: I already have 2 players so 2-3 extra players. It's open to anyone, SR5 noob or advanced player. If you are the latter, then read carefully the "The kind of game I'm running" section :)

If we have 5 players (+ me) I'll run the games anyway if when only one is missing (so down to 4 players).

Frequency: I'd like players who can commit to twice a month, usually on Saturdays or Sundays. I like the idea of games played after lunch until evening, so something like 1-2pm to 9-10pm. It gives enough time to move forward, including the recap, the stalling, the beer runs, the GM looking for a damn rule in the damn books, etc... :)

Where: TBD, one of my current players can probably host the games.

When: I'd like to start in May, not sure when exactly.

The Kind of game I'm running:

We will start by playing Splintered State, "a 6th world adventure". So it's not a campaign per se, just an introduction scenario and I'll move forward from there. If you've played it, it's probably not a problem but it'll ruin some of the fun for you... Let me know if you have though.

Players often oppose "black trenchcoat" to "pink mohawk" game style. So if BT is 1 and PM is 10, I'm a 3. I consider that runners are professionals, they have to work together as a team to survive and they know their job and place. A runner usually has 1 strong suit and a few (sometimes none) secondary skillsets (for example a Face will be excellent a talking but can also be good at Stealth and have a wide range of knowledge). It leaves plenty of room for colorful characters with personal motives and epic situations... Scenarios have enough ways to derail the characters that we don't need them to run around like headless chickens with machine guns :) I looooove to have fun in my games, GM or player, but it doesn't mean players should do anything stupid they think of :) Also I love to impro, so I will often come with a general idea of what's gonna happen and will let players ride their game.

Shadowrun has a lot of action but is a (also) a game of contacts and networking. This is a very important part of the game for me. It doesn't mean that you have to have a lot of contacts, but if you have a few (even a single one) I will probably try to work on your connection with them, back story etc... It can be a few sentences backstory (actually no more than that or I'll be lazy). But knowing where/when you met, especially if your contact has a high connection and/or a high loyalty. I discard the core rule of Connection+Loyalty = 7 max as it makes no sense to me. You'll be able to get contacts with Connection and Loyalty up to 6. I will use roleplay and backstories (and context) to play the situations between you and your contacts, instead of using the chips rule which I don't like :)

Magic is super important in Shadowrun. I've been around a lot of different magic-user characters but never actually played one myself, I usually play adepts. I know how Magic works, so it's not a problem for me if you wanna play a Shaman, Magician, etc... However, come prepared. I'll expect from you to know your spells, what you have to roll and what I have to roll to defend. Magic can be a real action-killer when the player has to check every single aspect of every spell they cast. You can have everything written on your character sheet, do it :)

I've played for about 10 years with a GM who never, ever, looked into the Matrix part of the game. We never had a hacker/decker/technomancien/rigger at our table. When we needed one, it was "globally outsourced" meaning one of our contacts would give us a name or two and we'd have the NPC work with us on a run or part of the run and would get their share on our payment. We also had a couple matrix oriented contacts who would sometimes be available. This is how I will run the Matrix too. So if you love toying with the Matrix (yes, even a Rigger), well, tough luck :)

Same goes with fighting characters: know you ranges, burst fire options, ammos, defense options, etc...

Which Books will I use:

I'll have us play with the Core Rules, Street Grimoire and Run and Gun. Nothing else.

So, if you're interested, contact me here on Meetup, or on this thread if you have questions.

Thanks for reading :)

ToonJunkey

• Newb
« Reply #1 on: <04-15-18/1048:59> »
I'm game If your up for It. I'm in fairfax So it will be a bit of a drive getting there But Ive got friends in that area so It's a commute Im familiar with.

theclaw

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <04-15-18/1052:58> »
Should be good.

I don't remember your nickname, did we meet in the Fairfax Comics games?

ToonJunkey

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <04-15-18/1223:50> »
Possibly I don't Remember Names to well Was that the store where I put up the hand written Sign for Fixer Frank the shadow run group?  Or the game store on main street?

theclaw

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <04-15-18/1235:19> »
Fairfax Comics and Gaming i think.

I played some sr5 missions there.

ToonJunkey

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <04-15-18/1301:16> »
I've Looked it up and I think the place your talking about is GAMES AND COMICS PAIR O' DICE In Fairfax.  If thats the cace the answer is No. I've only just discovered that place And have been there twice.  Both time I could not find a Shadowrun group.  That being said I only read the event planner white board. Things might have change sense I last looked.  But given the Information No I don't think We've met.  I don't really have a player handle save for this one and I'm relatively new to the gaming seen only getting started three months ago.

Flux2077

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <04-16-18/2220:36> »
I apologize for removing my comment at the same time you sent a reply, I was editing it and messed up the whole thing.

Thanks for the explanation about why aren't we using other books and I understand an glad to play in person which is the most important thing. Looking forward to your PM so I can create my character very shortly and go from there!

Below is the original comment that was wrongly removed:
----------
About myself,
I'm relatively new to this area and still getting used to everything around here. Currently GMing a Shadowrun 5e table on Roll20 but always wanted to join a face to face table and get to know new friends around the area. I live in Alexandria and distance isn't a problem.

Gaming style,
Black Trenchcoat!
For your table if possible I'd like to play a mundane Covert Ops-Face character. Sort of a social chameleon for investigation and legwork to gather enough intel and avoid combats as leaving no traces is ideal but not always the case. Of course, always readily available to assist the team when sh*t hits the fan and handguns come in handy.

Extra:
I fairly enjoy the decking game mechanics and always wanted to play an AI character which is outright crazy but somehow canon (SR5e book - Data Trails). As I read your OP, you warn us about not having deckers that much so I'll just stick with Covert Ops-Face.

Books I'd like to ask you to add if you are ok with it:
- Chrome Flesh for some of the cool implants
------------------

theclaw

• Newb
« Reply #7 on: <04-16-18/2222:00> »
That' funny, I couldn't see your post either so I removed mine :p

Here it is (back):

Hi there

No problem with the covert-op mundane face.

As per the extra books, I'll sadly have to deny your request :) Actually I never played with it and the reason I stick to those other books is I know what's in it so it gives me a global view of what's possible and not possible. For ex, I'll know that a character can be "too pretty to hit". So my NPCs can too. If I add "unknown" (to me) books, then I can face a shitstorm of qualities/implants I'm not prepared for (yep, I could read it, but I'm lazy :p)

I'll send you a PM with the creating rules and house rules.

ToonJunkey

• Newb
« Reply #8 on: <04-17-18/2239:51> »
So I've got a lot of Character's Already Built I've got a question for You about the "Code of honor" quality.  Can I have my code of Honor be Buddhism? I've got this Idea for a troll bare shaman Who walks the path of the Buddha to quiet his trollish rage and violent ways that his bear mentor sprit wiping to him about.  He also fights evil spirits with a stun staff and dress in monk robes.

theclaw

• Newb
« Reply #9 on: <04-17-18/2310:25> »
I don't see why you couldn't.

I'll do some reading about Buddhism :p

Monk robes sounds like a neg. quality to me :) (distinctive style)

theclaw

• Newb
« Reply #10 on: <04-24-18/1504:29> »
Alright guys, if you have any characters you wanna discuss, just send them to me, I'll have a look.

theclaw

• Newb
« Reply #11 on: <05-30-18/1204:34> »
Just bumping up this topic, I'm still looking for 2 more players.

I've got 3 for now

Civprod

• Newb
« Reply #12 on: <07-13-18/0753:04> »
I know it has been about 6 weeks since you posted but I wanted to check if you were still looking for players. Two friends and I have been talking about wanting to play shadowrun, but we have not found a group. One of us has played previous editions of shadowrun. However, all 3 of us have tabletop rpg experience and have been part of a pathfinder group for 8-10 years.  Just let me know.

ToonJunkey

• Newb
« Reply #13 on: <07-16-18/1923:02> »
Im Still Looking for a group and I live in the fairfax Area so a game group is not out of the question.  PM me if you want to try to get this thing going.  If someone can find "the Claw" we might just have enough Players to get a group going.