NEWS

Hello new and looking for a game.

• 10 Replies

Trence

• Newb
« on: <02-22-11/1246:13> »
First of all hello every one.
I used to play Shadowrun back in 2nd 3rd edition,  I bought the rule book for fourth addition read it but never had any one to play with.  I went to dump shock a few years back looking for a PbP game but it never took off.

Iv never played in a PbP game, but would love to give it a shot! So im looking to play a game if there is an opening.  Thanks in advance

joe15552

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <02-22-11/1803:02> »
Greetings, Trence. There are quite a few games going on, and perhaps a few that you can join. The GM's frequent this forum, so you are sure to be noticed. In order to catch their eye, insert a character concept or two that you enjoy role-playing. Check out Kontact's The Big Black Book o' Runners for what GM's would be looking for. Also, replying to that thread may lead your character to a job.

FastJack and Kot have put together some sexy character sheet code that helps your future GM easily read your character sheet. If you feel like you have a good character concept, but are not sure your character is taking advantage of the 4th edition rules, post your character sheet in Character Creation and Critique, and I am sure a fellow player will give you helpful advice.

My experience so far has been that there are not too many restrictions on awakened characters or technomancers, so don't feel like a rare character type will have a hard time finding a game. Most GM's I've seen frown upon free spirit characters, AI characters, or crazy metavariants, but if you come up with a cool backstory, I'm sure a GM will be compelled to invite you to play their game.

Most GM's here use the Invisible Castle for dice rolls. In this message, FastJack has given some pretty detailed information on how to use invisible castle.

Hope that helps!

inca1980

• Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <02-22-11/2109:56> »
Urban Brawl 2nd Scenario is virtually almost done, so you can climb on probably in just a few days.  Make up a 400 BP character...just usual races.  Make sure to put the BP or money spent on each thing you get. 

Loki

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <02-22-11/2345:09> »
Hi Inca, been following Urban Brawl 2 since I joined the board.  If you've room for a fourth I'd like to apply as well. Willing to go with a face, hacker, or rigger as needed.

Trence

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <02-23-11/1219:55> »
Thanks for the information ill check those out!

Trence

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <02-23-11/1232:36> »
Since this would be my first time playing 4thedditon could I just pick an archetype character out of the 4thed core rule book? ???

joe15552

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <02-23-11/1324:59> »
Sure, those characters are great for starting players. The only problem with them is that they are lacking a lot of the fine details that experienced players consider a must-have. Audio and visual enhancements are 2 things that I suggest to all of my players. There are also some nice things that can help hackers that are in Augmentation and Unwired that are not included in the orc hacker in the core rulebook.

If you want some hacker help, Kontact has posted a lot of helpful tidbits in a few threads listed here. If you just want to start playing and don't want to worry about the details, then go ahead with the sample character in the book. Your GM will probably help you out with anything that character is missing that is needed in the game, and if you see that your character can't do something that you want to do, then you can pick it up along the way.

inca1980

• Ace Runner
« Reply #7 on: <02-23-11/2140:23> »
Ya, starting with one of those characters isn't bad, but I would recommend just building your own so that you learn how to do it.  Like joe said, those characters are not really built in a special really thought out way....and I actually kinda like that...they're more built for their purpose....but even then, some things are just dumb....not giving an Enforcer a perception skill??? but then giving him forgery?? 
I would say there are some things that you're gonna want otherwise you'll feel like the way your character is built is not really much "in character" for what you're trying to roleplay.  I don't like encouraging too much min/maxing..(even though i can't help doing it myself when I build a character) ...I really like when someone takes a chance on a character who is more like a normal human, but has the right skills at the right moment.  With a little luck those characters can become epic players in an adventure.  So build whatever you want....even though these scenarious are combat heavy...I try to make them incorporate really anything that would be part of the scene.  In the current adventure, a characters built differently would have done things TOTALLY different and I think that's awesome!  You could potentially go through a whole UB scenario and complete the objectives without even firing a round....it's not like i've planned a specific pacifist rail into it....but it's just how things somehow work out sometimes.

So i'd rather if you built your own and then you also care more if he gets smoked because you put some time into him......and then it'll also feel that much more rewarding for me when I smoke him :)

Trence

• Newb
« Reply #8 on: <02-25-11/1138:00> »
Very well, im going to work on a combat hacker variant over the weekend.  Id love to play a burnt out shaman of sorts but im sure that would be complicated character to make as a new toon. That will also give me a chance to reread the rules.

Kontact

• Prime Runner
  • You called?
« Reply #9 on: <02-27-11/1541:19> »
I'd be fully fine with someone taking over playing Etherial's character from the Chicago game since he disappeared.

You wouldn't even need to build the character since he's already made...  :o 8)

inca1980

• Ace Runner
« Reply #10 on: <02-28-11/1136:21> »
@Trence:

Go ahead and post that hacker using Fastjack's code