NEWS

War! merc game - Currently full

• 195 Replies

Damnyankee

• Newb
« Reply #30 on: <02-01-11/1112:40> »
They have some.  I already know your APC will be an Appaloosa.  As I haven't flushed out the equipment yet, I'm open to suggestions.  If you think there is a good reason for a merc outfit to use a certain drone let me know.    I think what I will do is assign an availability to all the assets the company has that you might be able to use, and then use the existing availability rules to determine if its available to you.  (this might be a good system for fire support and backup as well... hmmm..)

Damnyankee

joe15552

• Omae
« Reply #31 on: <02-01-11/1150:14> »
Crap, sorry, Damnyankee, I am gonna have to withdraw my mage slot. I just don't have the time. I thought I did, but I don't.

I apologize.

Damnyankee

• Newb
« Reply #32 on: <02-01-11/1204:32> »
Crap, sorry, Damnyankee, I am gonna have to withdraw my mage slot. I just don't have the time. I thought I did, but I don't.

I apologize.
Not a problem.  I totally understand.

Dy

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« Reply #33 on: <02-01-11/1319:18> »
So I dont have to buy a car, as I understand it. I`ll post some drones and this Appaloosa ideas, just to geta feeling...
« Last Edit: <02-01-11/1440:11> by Sichr »

Sludig

• Chummer
« Reply #34 on: <02-01-11/1446:08> »
My suggestion for gear, military comm with tacsoft, base armor(may not afford military armor, but flak jackets and armored clothing), and basic weapons (side arm and main weapon), maybe a additional for our specialty (ie, heavy weapons, sniper, etc).  That's my suggestion. 

Uncle Vabka

• Newb
« Reply #35 on: <02-01-11/1535:52> »
Dammit, mage slot open now :P Oh well, kind of like my demo dwarf. Next pbp game will be a spell slinger for sure.

Sichr

• Prime Runner
« Reply #36 on: <02-01-11/1705:25> »
hh. working on the Orc rigger, starting to like him...

I`ll reserve those 30K for Nanohive g.3, Restricted gear qty. I have. Will post tomorow, Ill have to sleep and think it over once more...

Damnyankee

• Newb
« Reply #37 on: <02-01-11/1713:30> »
Feel free to post.  I understand its a preliminary version.  Id rather you guys work together anyway.

AS for the Appaloosa, I do have a very good idea what im going to do with it.
Remove std turret, put in reinforced remote turret add rigger adaptation and Move-by-wire manual control override. These are factory mods, a cyber version of the Appaloosa.
Conrads Conquerers will add a Mill grade retrans unit and a a satellite up-link, allowing the APC to serve as a mobile access point.    And some lock-on countermeasures (hot smoke/chaff dischargers to fool laser, radar and visual targeting)  Probably going to have a HMG in the turret.

Damnyankee

Bewilderbeast

• Omae
« Reply #38 on: <02-01-11/1717:43> »
I'll try and build my gunner tonight. Looking foward to it. Since we won't have to worry about equipment and contacts, and since all a good gunner requires is (I think) good agility and a good gunnery skill, it looks like I'll have a fair amount of BP to play with. I think it'd help to give my guy a secondary job on the team. I was thinking either gunner/medic or gunner/mechanic. Sort of an out-of-combat speciality so he can help out whenever he isn't busy blasting stuff with a machine gun. What do you guys think? Have a preference for one over the other? I think gunner/mechanic might be a tad more realistic. If you have a trained, educated medic, you don't really want to risk him by putting him up on a turret...
"Dialogue"
<<Matrix/Comm>>
"Astral"
Thoughts

Damnyankee

• Newb
« Reply #39 on: <02-01-11/1723:19> »
I'll try and build my gunner tonight. Looking foward to it. Since we won't have to worry about equipment and contacts, and since all a good gunner requires is (I think) good agility and a good gunnery skill, it looks like I'll have a fair amount of BP to play with. I think it'd help to give my guy a secondary job on the team. I was thinking either gunner/medic or gunner/mechanic. Sort of an out-of-combat speciality so he can help out whenever he isn't busy blasting stuff with a machine gun. What do you guys think? Have a preference for one over the other? I think gunner/mechanic might be a tad more realistic. If you have a trained, educated medic, you don't really want to risk him by putting him up on a turret...
Read the rules on Vehicle gunnery.... you don't even need a good agility. its Gunnery + sensors.  Gunner mechanic wouldn't be bad.  or because the vehicle is rigged, you could be a Gunner/rigger and the two riggers could handle a bevy of drones.

DY

Uncle Vabka

• Newb
« Reply #40 on: <02-01-11/1824:28> »
Cross training is a great idea for semi-autonomous fire fighter merc teams. My skillwires give me some decent backup skills - armorer, first aid, gunnery, heavy weapons for example, if only at rating 3. Thinking about it, I would assume that a lot of the smaller merc outfits would heavily utilize skill wires to make up for skill set gaps.

If we establish the absolutely-must-have-or-we-are-screwed roles, we can all cross train with one or more specs as well as our primary focus.

To my mind the roles that need to be covered in a 6 - 8 man team include these (might have missed some - its late in the UK) - obviously not all to a high rating, but at least a nod towards competence in all or most areas.

Driver
Gunner
Medic
Magic
Face/Hearts & Minds
Mechanic
Demolitions/EOD
Comms/Hacking
Scout/Recon
Leadership/Tactics/Intelligence
Sniper/Long-Gun support
Heavy/Support Weapons

For our purposes, I dont think that either mechanic or medic need necessarily be a primary role - as has been said, Gunner/Mechanic is an intuitive combo. So is Magic/Medic or Magic/Face when you come down to it - with all the really big bang bang and massive armor going on in a merc unit, how many mages are going to be heavily invested in fireballs and stunbolts? The scout/sniper is an obvious combo too. I know that I chose a pretty niche speciality myself, but the skillwires allow my to at least provide some level of backup to most other MOSes, or even substitute for them, if it comes to it - which is why I spent about as much on Active Softs as I did on Augmentations.

And that is without the basic military capability that DY has outylined with regards weapons and physical skills, which everyone will obviously have to some extent. Just throwing this out here - dont mean to sound like I am teaching people to suck eggs.

Laters.

Damnyankee

• Newb
« Reply #41 on: <02-01-11/1924:40> »
competence in all or most areas.

Driver
Gunner
Medic
Magic
Face/Hearts & Minds
Mechanic
Demolitions/EOD
Comms/Hacking
Scout/Recon
Leadership/Tactics/Intelligence
Sniper/Long-Gun support
Heavy/Support Weapons

I would agree with that list, with the note that your group is not expected to be a combat heavy/assault group.  And that equipment will not be in short supply.  I can tailor the game to the team, so its not a huge deal.

DY

Uncle Vabka

• Newb
« Reply #42 on: <02-02-11/0504:35> »
Ja, I know that bossman, just drawing on years of GURPS military gaming with an ex-army stickler GM (who authored Hand of Steel, Dogfaces, and the latest High Tech sourcebooks). I know that the dynamics of PbP and SR are different beasts, just thought I would throw in some info and suggestions.

And now ruminate on how my last games with those guys was over 12 years ago when I was back at university in the US... and feel old...

Sentinemodo

• Prime Runner
  • Prepare for the worst - surprises will be pleasant
« Reply #43 on: <02-02-11/0520:36> »
DY, guys,

since the magic slot has open, maybe instead of razor guy, I'll go for mage/medic (healing spells mostly, plus spirits and astral surveliance).

what you think? I'm trying to fit the angle that hasn't been taken care of
Sorry for a small delay ;)

Denver Missions
concluded 01 02 03 04 05 10 09 11
running 13
runners: Caretaker Jerry

Sichr

• Prime Runner
« Reply #44 on: <02-02-11/0527:38> »

I m working on that gunnery is almost the only weapon skill my rigger would have ;)

We need to coordinate  ;D

My specs will be- Driving, Gunnery, Mechanics, Armorer, generaly computers and electronic warfare...