NEWS

Narco Geneware

• 43 Replies

Ghost Rigger

• Omae
« Reply #15 on: <04-23-19/0726:49> »
Kamikaze and Nephritic Screen are a good combo, since the duration of K is given in minutes instead of hours - and the NS reduces the given time increment by its rating.
Except that having even the most basic Nephritic Screen is going to introduce a chance that the drug won't work at all, and an R6 NS guarantees it for Jazz, Kamikaze and Nitro.
After all you don't send an electrician to fix your leaking toilet.

A Guide to Gridguide

Chalkarts

• Omae
  • I'm a Street Painter in South Georgia.
« Reply #16 on: <04-23-19/0726:58> »
Any stat bonus helps.

Enhancements that say something like  "The synaptic booster cannot be combined with any other form of Reaction or Initiative enhancement."

Does that include drugs?  Does using drugs replace or negate the boost from the synaptic booster/wired reflexes, etc?
I paint the pavement.  It's what I do.  Check it out on Instagram, @Chalkarts

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #17 on: <04-23-19/0739:47> »
They both count against augmented limit, and init dice never goes beyond +5d6.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #18 on: <04-23-19/0757:47> »
Any stat bonus helps.

Enhancements that say something like  "The synaptic booster cannot be combined with any other form of Reaction or Initiative enhancement."

Does that include drugs?  Does using drugs replace or negate the boost from the synaptic booster/wired reflexes, etc?
Asides from the 'do drugs/ware help with Rigging' debate, SB vs WR descriptions clash a bit which makes it a tricky debate if drugs work with SB. Personally I'd side with 'drugs work with both'. But we still have the debate on whether they work with VR, such as Rigging.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #19 on: <04-23-19/0838:19> »
There is at least one instance where it's spelled out that drugs work with ware: Lockdown p.205
"This drug has proven uniquely compatible with base model cybernetic and bionetic enhancements. The Initiative Dice increase is compatible with Rating 1 initiative enhancement systems"

@Ghost Rigger
Kamikaze Duration: 10 x 1D6 minutes

"[...]reduce the duration of any drug by the nephritic screen’s Rating, using whatever time increments the duration is measured in (that is, if duration is measured in hours, the nephritic screen reduces the duration by [Rating] hours"

Ergo, you lose at most 6 minutes duration.
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

Ghost Rigger

• Omae
« Reply #20 on: <04-23-19/0849:16> »
You could interpret it that way, or you could interpret 10 minutes as the time interval, so you would lose 10 minutes for ever rank of NS. Either way, maybe we should consider the notion that for a juicer build, reduced drug effect time is bad and addiction is far less of a problem than for other character? Hell, take the Addiction quality at chargen and never worry about the downsides because you take drugs every run anyways.

A Guide to Gridguide

Chalkarts

• Omae
  • I'm a Street Painter in South Georgia.
« Reply #21 on: <04-23-19/0849:56> »
I think, even if dm doesn’t allow drug/ware stacking for rigging, I’m still going to make a juicer rigger.  A daredevil, speed demon, monkey wrench mechanic with a drug problem. 

Is the ware/drug stacking debate something that’s been debated to death already?
I paint the pavement.  It's what I do.  Check it out on Instagram, @Chalkarts

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #22 on: <04-23-19/0855:02> »
You could interpret it that way, or you could interpret 10 minutes as the time interval, so you would lose 10 minutes for ever rank of NS.

The only two ways to interpret the interval on a duration of "10 x 1D6 minutes" is "minutes" or "10 x 1D6 minutes".  And the latter is nonsensical since that's the duration.  Ergo the only sensible way to interpret it is "minutes", and you lose Rating = minutes from 10 x 1D6 minutes.

« Last Edit: <04-23-19/0856:36> by Stainless Steel Devil Rat »
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Ghost Rigger

• Omae
« Reply #23 on: <04-23-19/0920:50> »
Problem with that interpretation is that it falls apart whenever you apply unit conversion to it. If the drug lasts for 600 seconds x 1d6, then an R6 NS reduces the time the drug is in effect by 6 seconds. When a drug lasts for hours, NS reduces the effect time by hours, so if a drug lasts for tens of minutes then it only makes sense for NS to reduce the effect time by tens of minutes.

A Guide to Gridguide

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #24 on: <04-23-19/0928:02> »
That's not a problem, that illustrates exactly why "minutes" is the interval.  Yes, if it were 600 X 1D6 seconds, then the interval would be seconds.

10 x 1D6 minutes may "last" for hours, but the interval != duration.  Interval is the incremental unit.  In the example 10 x 1D6 minutes, the incremental unit (aka interval) is minutes.
« Last Edit: <04-23-19/0941:07> by Stainless Steel Devil Rat »

Ghost Rigger

• Omae
« Reply #25 on: <04-23-19/0940:20> »
You've brilliantly missed my point. The (X - Body) hour drugs make it clear that the time reduced by NS is proportionate to the time that the drug lasts. That means the time reduced by the NS is not dependent on the unit of time used to measure how long the drug lasts. This is literally a kilogram of feathers vs kilogram of steel issue.

A Guide to Gridguide

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #26 on: <04-23-19/0943:11> »
(X - Body) hour has an interval of "hour", yes. And yes, Nephritic Screen is undesirable for those drugs. As opposed to those drugs with an interval of minutes, which can end up not mattering. As in cases where the duration is 10 x 1D6 minutes.

It's really not that hard.  If the annotation has an increment of time, that's the interval.  The total time is the duration.  Which is separate from interval.
« Last Edit: <04-23-19/0945:58> by Stainless Steel Devil Rat »

Ghost Rigger

• Omae
« Reply #27 on: <04-23-19/0946:57> »
So why is the increment minutes, and not ten minutes? The duration is going to be some multiple of ten minutes, so it seems the clearest choice.

A Guide to Gridguide

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #28 on: <04-23-19/0950:02> »
Yeah, I'd say that (10 x1d6 minutes) can be read as (10 minutes x1d6) but noted in the first way to be more readable. The interval goes in chunks of 10 minutes, so NS would easily be read as working on those. So I disagree with the claim that 10x1d6 minutes has minute-intervals, because a normal result will always be 10-fold.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #29 on: <04-23-19/0951:10> »
Because that's how interval annotation works in 5E. If you have a digital copy of the core rulebook, search through for instances of "interval".  You'll see that when intervals are not measured in a single unit of time they're explicit about it (for example, mild fatigue has an interval of 6 hours, as opposed to "hour")

Besides, if the interval were the same thing as duration, you wouldn't have an interval.

Yeah, I'd say that (10 x1d6 minutes) can be read as (10 minutes x1d6) but noted in the first way to be more readable. The interval goes in chunks of 10 minutes, so NS would easily be read as working on those. So I disagree with the claim that 10x1d6 minutes has minute-intervals, because a normal result will always be 10-fold.

Maybe in general mathematical operations 10 minutes x 1d6 is the same thing as 10 x 1D6 minutes... but "10 minutes" and "minute" are in a rules crunch sense saying two very different things about the interval.  So 10 minutes X 1D6 is not interchangeable with 10 x 1D6 minutes.
« Last Edit: <04-23-19/0957:18> by Stainless Steel Devil Rat »