NEWS

Narco Geneware

• 43 Replies

Chalkarts

• Omae
  • I'm a Street Painter in South Georgia.
« on: <04-22-19/2010:25> »
I'd like to make a Juicer.
In my inquiries elsewhere I was told I needed to look at "Narco Geneware" from Chrome Flesh.
I don't have access to CF, would anyone be so kind as to tell me what Narco and or Geneware is and why I need it?
I paint the pavement.  It's what I do.  Check it out on Instagram, @Chalkarts

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <04-22-19/2015:27> »
It increases the numeric benefit of a drug by 1.

For example, Jazz gives +1 Reaction, but with narco you get +2.  (doesn't work with bonus dice tho, so still only +2d6 to initiative)

Geneware is a new class of augmentation.  It costs essence just like cyberware and bioware, but it's neither cyberware nor bioware.  Fluffwise, it's getting your DNA edited.
« Last Edit: <04-22-19/2017:19> by Stainless Steel Devil Rat »
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Chalkarts

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <04-22-19/2026:41> »
I really need to beef up my library.
I'd need everything that helps prevent addiction and helps recover from a crash.

Is all that stuff in CF?

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <04-22-19/2035:02> »
I know there's a special pharmaceutical grade you can purchase your drugs at, and it reduces the addictiveness.  (which is good, because IIRC narco comes with a downside that it penalizes dice on your addiction tests).

That grade of drug I'm referring to isn't in CF though.  I don't know what book it is in though... I know about it because I've seen it mentioned here on the forum. 
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Chalkarts

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <04-22-19/2044:12> »
That grade of drug I'm referring to isn't in CF though.  I don't know what book it is in though... I know about it because I've seen it mentioned here on the forum.

I wish I could find the old thread about A Narco Street Sam.  They discussed some kind of cyber drug dispenser, and a filter of some sort that made addiction test easier I think?

It's been a while since I've seen it.

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <04-22-19/2049:03> »
There is another thing in CF that'd be nice for a juicer: Nephritic Screen.  It's bioware that adds its rating to addiction tests.  And yes there's a bioware gland that "grows" drugs like a snake's venom sac.  It can be something you spit up at people, or some drug that you just swallow.

Plus of course there's internal injectors you can purchase as cyberware too.  That might be core rulebook.

Ghost Rigger

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <04-22-19/2053:24> »
Nephritic Screen also reduces the time a drug stays in effect, so it's actually the last piece of 'ware a juicer would ever want.
After all you don't send an electrician to fix your leaking toilet.

A Guide to Gridguide

Cabral

• Newb
« Reply #7 on: <04-22-19/2124:44> »
I know there's a special pharmaceutical grade you can purchase your drugs at, and it reduces the addictiveness.  (which is good, because IIRC narco comes with a downside that it penalizes dice on your addiction tests).

Pharmaceutical and Designer grades are on page 190 of Chrome Flesh (top left). Pharmaceutical reduces the crash duration and addiction threshold (no minimum specified), Designer (designed for you and no one else) reduces the crash duration and the interactions. I assume Designer includes the effects of Pharmaceutical, but that is not spelled out anywhere.

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <04-22-19/2134:27> »
Grades of Drugs are p. 190 Chrome Flesh.  Pharmaceutical to reduce Addiction threshold and Designer grade to reduce Crash duration (for something like Novacoke).

Narco Geneware p. 159 Chrome Flesh.  It adds dice to Addiction tests (once you're addicted) , Increases Drug effects, and decreases Crash Effects.  If you're making a Juicer start here.

Also of interest is Double Elastin p. 160 to reduce Stun damage if your preferred cocktail does stun damage as a crash.

The Drug Tolerant Positive Quality may or may not be needed for a couple more dice of Addiction tests.

Drug interactions / overdose rules tl;dr, pick two drugs that don't buff the same thing.  Kamikaze plus Betameth for example.  Or Psyche / Novacoke or Psyche / Cram.  I like two long acting drugs you can pop early and just coast on, but Betameth plus Kamikaze is really the top performance, but you've got to juggle some non-trivial crash damage. 

Body and Nephritic Screens add to addiction tests, but reduce the duration.  I like Body 3 on the Juicer types to keep the long duration stuff running for a good long while. 

Once you pick your two drug cocktail, take a Minor Addiction to them to get the +2 Dice to Addiction tests for those two Drugs.  Willpower 3 plus Narco puts you to 5 Dice for Addiction tests, then add either Body or Logic depending on the Addiction type so with just 3's for Body/Logic/Willpower you can be at 8 dice and with Pharmaceutical or Designer grade you can keep it to Threshold 2 or less.  If you squeeze in Drug Tolerant quality and drag Willpower up to 5 you've got 12 dice for your preferred Addiction tests and 8 for when you try new things.  IMO 12 dice to get 2 hits is a bit of overkill.   

Beta

• Ace Runner
  • SR1 player, SR5 GM@FtF & player@PbP
« Reply #9 on: <04-22-19/2135:10> »
I think drug grades were in chromeflesh too.  Narco makes you more likely to get addicted in the first place, but helps you not get more addicted.   It also reduces some post high crash effects.

Cabral

• Newb
« Reply #10 on: <04-22-19/2141:04> »
Grades of Drugs are p. 190 Chrome Flesh.  Pharmaceutical to reduce Addiction threshold and Designer grade to reduce Crash duration (for something like Novacoke).
Designer and Pharmaceutical grade both reduce crash duration. Designer just reduces it by more. Designer also reduces the drug interaction rolls.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #11 on: <04-23-19/0101:09> »
It increases the numeric benefit of a drug by 1.

For example, Jazz gives +1 Reaction, but with narco you get +2.  (doesn't work with bonus dice tho, so still only +2d6 to initiative)
*Looks at Kamikaze* Holy fuck O_O *Looks at Betameth* Holy crap.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #12 on: <04-23-19/0407:28> »
Kamikaze and Nephritic Screen are a good combo, since the duration of K is given in minutes instead of hours - and the NS reduces the given time increment by its rating.
Combined with Double Elastin and pharma grade Kamikaze, you are pretty much guaranteed not to get addicted.
If you can, invest in a lvl. 1 initiative/reaction booster like wired reflexes and reaction enhancers and you get to adept levels of ini with quite modest cash investment.
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

Chalkarts

• Omae
« Reply #13 on: <04-23-19/0703:37> »
Kamikaze and Nephritic Screen are a good combo, since the duration of K is given in minutes instead of hours - and the NS reduces the given time increment by its rating.
Combined with Double Elastin and pharma grade Kamikaze, you are pretty much guaranteed not to get addicted.
If you can, invest in a lvl. 1 initiative/reaction booster like wired reflexes and reaction enhancers and you get to adept levels of ini with quite modest cash investment.

How does this translate to a Rigger?  Would this affect driving skills?  Would the character get drugged up and become a god behind the wheel or drone?

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Sheltering Orks in Osaka
« Reply #14 on: <04-23-19/0724:11> »
Any stat bonus helps.
If Tom Brady’s a Spike Baby, what does that make Brees and Rodgers?