NEWS

[SR5] [Decker] Anomalous

• 30 Replies

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« on: <11-10-15/1518:17> »
Admittedly, I'm not so hot at messing with decking--the high price tag on the equipment has deterred me for the most part--but I decided to try my hand with one now that Hero Lab has one of the alternate generation systems implemented.
Without further ado, here it is.

[spoiler]
Anomalous
Meta-type Human
Body 3
Agility 3
Reaction 3
Strength 2
Willpower 5
Logic 5(7)
Intuition 4
Charisma 3
Edge 5
Essence 5.0

Condition Monitor (P/S): 10 / 11
Armor: 9
Limits: Physical 4, Mental 8, Social 6
Physical Initiative: 7+1D6
Matrix Initiative: 9+3D6

Active Skills: Cracking Group 6, Electronics Group 5, Etiquette 2, Gymnastics 4, Perception 4, Pistols (Tasers +2) 4, Sneaking 4

Knowledge Skills: Data Havens 4, Law 3, Matrix Architecture 3, Matrix Games 3

Languages: English N, Salish 5

Qualities: Codeslinger: Hack on the Fly, Data Anomaly, Day Job (5,000¥/month, 40 hrs/week), Electronic Witness, Prime Datahaven Membership (JackPoint), SINner (National SIN): UCAS, Trust Fund (Middle & 500¥/month)

Augmentations:
   Cerebral Booster (2)
   Cyberears (1) w/ Audio Enhancement (3), Damper, Sound Link
   Cybereyes (2) w/ Image Link, Low-Light Vision, Smartlink, Vision Enhancement (3)
   Datajack

Gear:
   FTL Quark w/ Diagnostics, Mapsoft: ????, Mapsoft: Seattle Metroplex, Receiver, Ticker: Law Enforcement Patrols
   Lined Coat
   Renraku Tsurugi w/ Baby Monitor, Encryption, Exploit, Shell, Sim Module, Modified for Hot Sim, Stealth, Virtual Machine
   Tyrone Gibbs w/ Fake License: Electronics (4), Fake SIN (4), (3 months) Low Lifestyle

Weapons:
   Yamaha Pulsar [Taser, Acc 7, DV 7S(e), AP -5, SA, 4 (m)] w/ Smartgun System, Internal, (40x) Taser Dart

Contacts:
Blackheart (Connection 3, Loyalty 2)
JackPoint (Connection 5, Loyalty 3)
Mackie (Connection 2, Loyalty 3)

Starting ¥: 605 + (4D6 × 100)¥
[/spoiler]
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

falar

• Omae
  • The Fourth Jesse
« Reply #1 on: <11-10-15/1551:18> »
Drop Agility and Reaction each by one and put them into Intuition. Other than that, I think you're pretty solid.

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <11-10-15/1555:06> »
Drop Agility and Reaction each by one and put them into Intuition. Other than that, I think you're pretty solid.

With the system this was built under, it would cost more to put those points into Intuition than would be saved pulling them out of the two aforementioned attributes--it's at exactly 800 Karma including all Qualities.

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <11-10-15/1600:11> »
Out of curiosity, which chargen method was used here?  I don't have Hero Lab, so I don't know what's been recently added.

Without knowing the method, it's hard for me to say exactly how to better spend resources, but some generic decker advice.

1. I think you're undervaluing Intuition for a decker.  My default is generally Int 6, Log 5(7).  Chrome Flesh may change this, but I'd look for points from elsewhere to at least get it to a 5.

2. Your taser needs a smartlink.

3. Cracking is where you want your specializations to be.  Do you need to have the entire group at 6?  If you can shed some EWar to pick up the skills separately and add the Hosts and whatever specialization of Cybercombat you think would be best (it really comes down to how GMs run things, but IC is probably the best choice).

4. Speaking of potential things to buy, get a Rating 2 hard nanohive.  You can't get the nanites for it yet (Availabilty 16), but they're cheap so buying extra dice once you're in-play shouldn't be a problem.  The initial cost of the nanohive is a little tougher, so it's best left to chargen resources.  You'll be buying neocortical and limbic.  If you're looking to save money, go with meat eyes and a pair of glasses.
Killing so many sacred cows, I'm banned from India.

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <11-10-15/1610:21> »
Out of curiosity, which chargen method was used here?  I don't have Hero Lab, so I don't know what's been recently added.

Without knowing the method, it's hard for me to say exactly how to better spend resources, but some generic decker advice.

1. I think you're undervaluing Intuition for a decker.  My default is generally Int 6, Log 5(7).  Chrome Flesh may change this, but I'd look for points from elsewhere to at least get it to a 5.

2. Your taser needs a smartlink.

3. Cracking is where you want your specializations to be.  Do you need to have the entire group at 6?  If you can shed some EWar to pick up the skills separately and add the Hosts and whatever specialization of Cybercombat you think would be best (it really comes down to how GMs run things, but IC is probably the best choice).

4. Speaking of potential things to buy, get a Rating 2 hard nanohive.  You can't get the nanites for it yet (Availabilty 16), but they're cheap so buying extra dice once you're in-play shouldn't be a problem.  The initial cost of the nanohive is a little tougher, so it's best left to chargen resources.  You'll be buying neocortical and limbic.  If you're looking to save money, go with meat eyes and a pair of glasses.

I used the Karma Generation for it (the reason behind my response to falar).

1) Unfortunately, I'd have to give up quite a bit to get Intuition up to that point.

2) It has one, that's how he has the mediocre 11 dice he has with it. I just can't bring myself to drop the weapon skill completely...

3) === Edit: See alteration further down ===

4) I don't have the data file to use any of that stuff unlocked on my copy. I have the cyber eyes and ears to go with that Electronic Witness quality.
« Last Edit: <11-10-15/2234:30> by All4BigGuns »

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #5 on: <11-10-15/2021:14> »
Hmmm

It looks a little short to me, cash wise.
Perhaps a cyberarm could be helpful?
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <11-10-15/2239:44> »
A bit of tweaking here.

[spoiler]
Anomalous
Meta-type: Human

Body 3
Agility 3
Reaction 3
Strength 2
Willpower 5
Logic 5(7)
Intuition 5
Charisma 3
Edge 4
Essence 5.0

Condition Monitor (P/S): 10 / 11
Armor: 9
Limits: Physical 4, Mental 8, Social 6
Physical Initiative: 8+1D6
Matrix Initiative: 10+3D6

Active Skills: Computer (Matrix Perception +2) 6, Cybercombat (vs. IC +2) 5, Electronic Warfare 3, Etiquette 1, Gymnastics 2, Hacking (vs. Hosts +2) 6, Hardware 3 (Cyberdecks +2), Perception 4, Pistols (Tasers +2) 3, Sneaking 4, Software (Data Bombs +2) 5

Knowledge Skills: Data Havens 4, Law 3, Matrix Architecture 3, Matrix Games 3, Shadow Community 2

Languages: English N, Salish 5

Qualities: Codeslinger: Hack on the Fly, Data Anomaly, Day Job (5,000¥/month, 40 hrs/week), Electronic Witness, Prime Datahaven Membership (JackPoint), SINner (National SIN): UCAS, Trust Fund (Middle & 500¥/month)

Augmentations:
   Cerebral Booster (2)
   Cyberears (1) w/ Audio Enhancement (3), Damper, Sound Link
   Cybereyes (2) w/ Image Link, Low-Light Vision, Smartlink, Vision Enhancement (3)
   Datajack

Gear:
   FTL Quark w/ Diagnostics, Mapsoft: ????, Mapsoft: Seattle Metroplex, Receiver, Ticker: Law Enforcement Patrols
   Lined Coat
   Renraku Tsurugi w/ Baby Monitor, Encryption, Exploit, Shell, Sim Module, Modified for Hot Sim, Stealth, Virtual Machine
   Tyrone Gibbs w/ Fake License: Electronics (4), Fake SIN (4), (3 months) Low Lifestyle

Weapons:
   Yamaha Pulsar [Taser, Acc 7, DV 7S(e), AP -5, SA, 4 (m)] w/ Smartgun System, Internal, (40x) Taser Dart

Contacts:
Blackheart (Connection 4, Loyalty 3)
JackPoint (Connection 5, Loyalty 3)
Mackie (Connection 2, Loyalty 3)

Starting ¥: 605 + (4D6 × 100)¥
[/spoiler]

Edit: Another tweak, reducing Pistols to 3 and adding Cyberdecks specialization to Hardware (figured that 11 dice and 10 dice isn't much difference in capability).
« Last Edit: <11-10-15/2308:08> by All4BigGuns »

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <11-11-15/0846:13> »
I like this version much more.  It's competent at its role out of the gate and has some obvious avenues of advancement once you're in play.

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <11-11-15/0940:02> »
Trying to figure out now if I should leave the Electronic Witness or if that's something 'good in theory, but suicidal in practice'.

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #9 on: <11-11-15/0946:50> »
I'm assuming (and really, that all it is--no inside track) that EWar will get some love in Rigger 5.

Unfortunately, I can't read.
« Last Edit: <11-11-15/1001:09> by Kincaid »

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #10 on: <11-11-15/0957:51> »
I'm assuming (and really, that all it is--no inside track) that EWar will get some love in Rigger 5.

??? Huh? I was talking about the Electronic Witness quality, and you go back to the Electronic Warfare skill?

falar

• Omae
  • The Fourth Jesse
« Reply #11 on: <11-11-15/0959:37> »
Trying to figure out now if I should leave the Electronic Witness or if that's something 'good in theory, but suicidal in practice'.

It's fine. I think it says a lot about a character and, as long as you don't combine it with Day Job, you're totally fine. Even if you do, you're probably mostly fine because you're not an idiot.

I'm considering a character who spends most of his time in the CZ and has Electronic Witness and Day Job level 1 that basically sells slice of life stuff to some subscribers. He has a fake David Attenborough voiceover with it.

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #12 on: <11-11-15/1000:48> »
I blame my lack of coffee.

Personally, I think Electronic Witness is suicidal but I figured it was central to the concept.  If it's just there to generate points, I'd swap it for something else, which would allow you to save some nuyen as well.

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #13 on: <11-11-15/1012:42> »
I'll be honest, I took both it and Day Job after reading the quality and seeing that it would count toward the Day Job's workload.

Kinda wondering if it would be cheese to put the pixelation used in modern day to censor nudity on television over teammates' faces if recordings the team were in were among those sold to cover their identities. Personally, I do feel it would be the genius level intellect that a 5 (7) Logic represents, but I'm just trying to figure out if it were cheesing the quality.

falar

• Omae
  • The Fourth Jesse
« Reply #14 on: <11-11-15/1054:43> »
I would doubt you'd have to sell all of your recordings to meet the requirements of your Day Job. If anything, you'd record everything and sell Day Job's number of hours in footage a week. For my character who lives in the CZ, just having live footage of what's going on in the CZ from day to day would be pretty valuable, even if it's not happening during a run.