NEWS

Guns, guns, and more guns in Gun Heaven--out now!

• 95 Replies

savaze

• Omae
  • I'm a zombie/quadriplegic hybrid
« Reply #45 on: <06-14-11/0653:28> »
Revolver ammunition uses what's called "Rimmed" cases, where the bottom of the brass comes out a bit in at the, well, rim.  This is what holds the ammo in place.  Rimless ammo is used by Automatic weapons (Semi- and full-automatic.).

There are a few rare revolvers that use rimless ammo, but they require half-moon and full-moon clips (The correct usage of the term for once, YAY!), which hold three or six rounds respectively.

Even rarer is revolvers that can camber and use any 9mm/.38 caliber ammunition.  ...  ...  OK, it's one revolver, no longer produced, called the Medusa Model 47 Revolver.  They successfully tested and claimed that it'd work with 25 different types of ammunition, with 117 possible types that could be used (Some of which are museum pieces.  Yes, ammo so rare it's in a museum!).

Caseless ammunition, being just a square block, doesn't have a rim of any kind, so wouldn't be held by a cylinder.  Unless it's Cap and Ball, then the percussion cap fits on the nipple.
I'm very familiar with revolvers I owned a S&W model 10 for a long time and have played with several others (and am currently in the market for a new wheel-gun, if I ever make up my mind on what I want). It's true that rimmed ammo is still the favorite in revolvers and Russian weapons, but it's old tech ...and moon clips (are used for rimmed or otherwise) come in sizes for 5-10 (someone told me 12 once but I've never seen a modern revolver that has that kind of capacity), with partials for 2-4... They're very effective speed loaders that many favor over the clunky multi-step alternative loaders.

The Medusa was more of an improvement on extraction and it addressed a problem that didn't exist (I hear some companies are still using the tech for single calibers), and it went the way of revolvers chambered in .700 NE. There's really only one man who's made improvements on the platform in over a century (that worked correctly and addresses active issues) and he's no longer alive. I'm very reluctant to say that there won't be major improvements on the platform by 2070. I know right now there's a push to partially seal and redirect escaping gases from the cylinder, front and back, making them safer to fire and easier to use in the dark (not talking about silenced revolvers). Hopefully we'll see that in the next two years?! The limited ammo is already being addressed with eight smoking rounds of .357 (that's as far as it'll go unless you want a .22), equaling the 1911 Coonan, and being more accurate than a steel 1911 by almost a minute without $2k invested to accurize it. Still it's only half the capacity of the plastic guns, but they're an additional whole minute less accurate. Can ya tell I like revolvers? I had a 2nd gen Glock 17 in 9mm (and several others through the years) that I went through police academy with, but it just wasn't the same as my six-shooter.

Not all caseless cartridges are square... I mentioned before in another thread (and seemingly had an argument) about how there are several varieties/shapes of caseless. Besides, roundish makes for less malfunctions when feeding and KISS still applies in combat.

If caseless is the only major advancement in firearms by 2070 then they would have figured out how to make it work in all the popular platforms (they had a hundred years to get it right), though 20 years to make the change means there's still a lot of "classic" guns floating around in cased ammo (nearly 200 years worth) that people grew up with and might prefer...
« Last Edit: <06-14-11/0655:02> by savaze »

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #46 on: <06-14-11/1052:25> »
You know CanRay, you keep using words like "rimmed" and "nipple" and you may get warning from the mods ;)

Bull
Apparently firearms designers of the day were lonely, lonely men.  :P
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

hobgoblin

• Omae
  • Panda!
« Reply #47 on: <06-14-11/1110:09> »
Bah, it is more that the english language have developed a impressive number of euphemisms for certain body parts and related activities. I blame the puritans for that "masterpiece"...
Want to see my flash new jacket?

flatlyne2001

• Newb
« Reply #48 on: <06-15-11/1442:16> »
Thank you for putting in all the old Ares Predators, talk about adding some nice nostalgia.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #49 on: <06-15-11/1453:26> »
Thank you for putting in all the old Ares Predators, talk about adding some nice nostalgia.
Missing the Ares III.  :P

But, yes, it is a very nice and appreciated touch!  It goes well with my Ares Predator T-Shirt.  ;D

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

flatlyne2001

• Newb
« Reply #50 on: <06-15-11/1510:33> »
Missing the Ares III.  :P

But, yes, it is a very nice and appreciated touch!  It goes well with my Ares Predator T-Shirt.  ;D

III I'm missing my I :)

Yeah I really need one of those :D

wylie

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #51 on: <06-17-11/1558:36> »
with the vintage quality 7 stuff,  I want to design a character who either had spent the lat 20 years or so in prison, or one who ran the shadows only a little while in the '50s and now must get back into the shadows

the fun of seeing a hacker try to take over the smartlink and can't speak the language  :)

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #52 on: <06-17-11/1701:10> »
with the vintage quality 7 stuff,  I want to design a character who either had spent the lat 20 years or so in prison...
One of my currently working up character concepts is this.

20-years, no chance for parole for killing the axe murderer he found next to the bodies of his hacked up parents and who was walking towards his eight-year old sister.  That's what happens when you're an Elf and you pull an all-human jury...

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #53 on: <06-18-11/1050:29> »
It is nice seeing the old RoboCop art for the Predator.

I am guessing CGl isn't worried about litigation over it anymore.

Reproducing designs found in different media has always been a kinda legal grey area anyhow, especially if the designs are tweaked.

-k
« Last Edit: <06-18-11/1053:14> by KarmaInferno »

bigity

• Omae
« Reply #54 on: <06-18-11/1210:30> »
Just ask FASA about Harmany Gold.  They will say, at least tweak them for pete's sake. :)

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #55 on: <06-18-11/1302:16> »
It is nice seeing the old RoboCop art for the Predator.

I am guessing CGl isn't worried about litigation over it anymore.

Reproducing designs found in different media has always been a kinda legal grey area anyhow, especially if the designs are tweaked.

-k

The gun used in RObocop is based on a real gun, physically at least.  There's never been a problem using that design.

Mystic

• Freelancer
  • Omae
  • Word Mercenary
« Reply #56 on: <06-18-11/1344:29> »
Beretta 93R, to be exact. Gotta love wikis. Nice to see they could find a GOOD use for a Beretta, other than paperweight.

;)

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Robocop
Bringing chaos, mayhem, and occasionally cookies to the Sixth World since 2052!

"Just because it's easy for you doesn't mean it can't be hard on your clients"-Rule 38, The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries, Schlock Mercenary.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #57 on: <06-18-11/1416:04> »
The gun used in RObocop is based on a real gun, physically at least.  There's never been a problem using that design.
A few firearms, actually.

The base weapon (The prop gun) is a Beretta M93R, with a lot of additions such as an extended barrel and oversized trigger guard for the gloves the actor was wearing.  The sights were based off of one design which I can't remember right now, the underbelly weight is from the Medusa Revolver, and a few other odds and ends.  It also is compensated to give it a really cool muzzle effect.

And the name?  "Auto-9".  Not exactly a sellable title, which makes me think it never got out of the prototype stages and was considered too expensive for mass production.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

wylie

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #58 on: <06-19-11/1846:24> »
with the vintage quality 7 stuff,  I want to design a character who either had spent the lat 20 years or so in prison...
One of my currently working up character concepts is this.

20-years, no chance for parole for killing the axe murderer he found next to the bodies of his hacked up parents and who was walking towards his eight-year old sister.  That's what happens when you're an Elf and you pull an all-human jury...

after watching freejack, the idea of a bodyguard wrongly imprison for 20 years is a thought, too
the systm would keep him alive, but not improve on any of his hardware

Just ask FASA about Harmany Gold.  They will say, at least tweak them for pete's sake. :)

that is an understatement...:) I enjoy products from both companies ( Battletech & Robotech), but if they could have found a way to work together.......

Mystic

• Freelancer
  • Omae
  • Word Mercenary
« Reply #59 on: <06-20-11/0031:06> »
A few firearms, actually.

The base weapon (The prop gun) is a Beretta M93R, with a lot of additions such as an extended barrel and oversized trigger guard for the gloves the actor was wearing.  The sights were based off of one design which I can't remember right now, the underbelly weight is from the Medusa Revolver, and a few other odds and ends.  It also is compensated to give it a really cool muzzle effect.

And the name?  "Auto-9".  Not exactly a sellable title, which makes me think it never got out of the prototype stages and was considered too expensive for mass production.

Rear sight on the "Auto-9" looks a lot like the sight on my old S&W 5906. I had it changed because I honestly hated them. But then, S&W had a lot of their weapons with sights like that, so who knows. Hollywood loves to mix and match firearms and parts.
« Last Edit: <06-20-11/0430:31> by Mystic »
Bringing chaos, mayhem, and occasionally cookies to the Sixth World since 2052!

"Just because it's easy for you doesn't mean it can't be hard on your clients"-Rule 38, The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries, Schlock Mercenary.