NEWS

Firing Squad released

• 66 Replies

Lethrendis

• Newb
« Reply #60 on: <10-12-20/1005:09> »
Hello,

I am not a native speaker and I would need advice on translating the name "Firing Squad". Did that really mean a "group of soldiers carrying out the execution"? Or is it a metaphor?

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #61 on: <10-12-20/1017:46> »
Yeah, execution by Firing Squad is when someone is tied up and the group of soldiers is given the simultaneous order to open fire. One of the reasons to have a full squad fire, is so nobody knows who fired the killing bullet(s). Sometimes they even used some blanks for that purpose. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Execution_by_firing_squad

Pegasus Spiel made the translated title "Feuer Frei", aka Fire at will, which is the order given to the firing squad.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #62 on: <10-12-20/1128:44> »
There also is the metaphorical aspect to the term "firing squad"... but when you call a group a firing squad you are implying they have a degree of lethality or brutality of a literal firing squad.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Lethrendis

• Newb
« Reply #63 on: <10-14-20/1724:21> »
I have another question. In the Firing Squad, an electronic firing system is mentioned for some weapons. However, this modification is not described anywhere. So what exactly does in 6E do?

EDIT: I found on the internet what it did in 5E, but what does it do in 6E? What are the statistics?
« Last Edit: <10-15-20/1734:30> by Lethrendis »

0B

• Chummer
  • Be seeing you
« Reply #64 on: <10-18-20/2230:17> »
I have another question. In the Firing Squad, an electronic firing system is mentioned for some weapons. However, this modification is not described anywhere. So what exactly does in 6E do?

EDIT: I found on the internet what it did in 5E, but what does it do in 6E? What are the statistics?

I want to say that anything that could potentially have a wireless bonus has one of these. I think this is more for flavor in 6e. It's not referring to smartguns, since it talks about both electronic firing and smartguns.

In the description for the Colt Government 2076/Manhunter:

The years of technomancer and hacker fear since the ’60s have left the electronic firing 2066 in a lot of
storage cabinets for fear of hacking. The 2076 takes a jump back to the style of the classic Manhunter (in fact, the model with an integrated smartgun system has that denotation) and comes with an integral laser sight.

I haven't played 5e for awhile and didn't really play it much when I did, so it's possible that the "intent" for electronic firing systems is different than just flavor. If so, they didn't include the rules for it.

Gameplay-wise, I would say only be concerned with whether wireless is on/off with regards to hacking. If you wanted to, you could say that repairing weapons with electronic systems require an electronics roll instead of engineering, but that's going into GM-fiat territory.

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #65 on: <10-19-20/0100:17> »

Yes, it's my understanding that's just fluff.  All guns in 2081 are electronic firing, unless they're museum pieces.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Lethrendis

• Newb
« Reply #66 on: <10-20-20/0144:19> »
thank you for answer