NEWS

[SR6] Custom Negative Quality: Human Poser

• 8 Replies

Plan_B

• Newb
« on: <06-15-20/2238:06> »
Human Poser

Your blood may be elf or ork, but your ears, jaw, cheekbones, and milquetoast blandness are all human. A surgery here and there, maybe some speech therapy classes on the Matrix, and a lot of time watching romcom trids has you all set to to join those you feel you truly belong with no matter how pointy your ears or broad your tusks were at birth.

Bonus: 6 Karma

Game Effect: Elves, orks, and trolls gain a point of Edge in Influence (Etiquette) tests made against you.
When the "milk run" goes sour, it's time for Plan B!

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #1 on: <06-16-20/0147:44> »
Mrm, I understand the sentiment, but fact is that Shadowrun still has a lot of anti-meta racism, which means people would be taking this quality as a secretly-positive one instead, arguing that no, they obviously look human so why are they being harassed?
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Plan_B

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <06-16-20/0235:15> »
Which is why only other meta types gain the point of Edge, just as with the original Poser qualities. Humans don’t get the bonus Edge for Elf or Ork Poser either, even on someone who is human but is pretending to be otherwise. The reason it’s a negative quality is that it relies on the No True Scotsman principle and a form of self-policing by those engaged in identity politics. The sense of betrayal felt by the base metatype would indeed end up being truly problematic if the ruse is discovered, for example. This isn’t to say that humans are somehow cool with it. Rather, I chose to keep them excluded to represent the general obliviousness of a group benefiting from systemic racial supremacy regarding someone who is “passing.” If exposed, however, while their isn’t specifically a mechanical benefit, there would be hell to pay in terms of story options.

An alternative version I considered was making it worth only 2 Karma and giving the bonus Edge to humans. In the end, I opted to go with the exact equivalent of the other Poser qualities to keep everything even. This alternate version may meet your thoughts more but I see it more as social controls by “your own” rather than by those being fooled. Like all negative qualities, they only really have importance if they are invoked in game. Any negative quality taken that is ignored is effectively a back door net positive as they give free Karma without a penalty. I see it working that way here. Never allow any negative quality you’re not going to enforce in some manner.
« Last Edit: <06-16-20/0239:38> by Plan_B »

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #3 on: <06-16-20/0253:04> »
It's not enforcing that I'm worried about, it's players claiming this should give them advantages vs Humans.

Plan_B

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <06-16-20/0727:52> »
I don’t worry to much about how jerk players will try to abuse rules. They don’t last long at my table. Elf and Ork Poser clearly imparts no advantage either and, as GM, if someone tried to argue for some hidden advantage in my game they would lose the argument instantly. I can honestly say that I feel sorry for anyone who plays with someone that you have to be concerned about this sort of thing with but those kinds of people are simply not a factor in my thinking because I don’t tolerate that kind of behavior.
« Last Edit: <06-16-20/0729:23> by Plan_B »

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <06-16-20/1642:29> »
Mrm, I understand the sentiment, but fact is that Shadowrun still has a lot of anti-meta racism, which means people would be taking this quality as a secretly-positive one instead, arguing that no, they obviously look human so why are they being harassed?

All negative qualities that are based around how you act are secretly positive qualities. You get free points for playing your character like you were going to play them anyways.

Plan_B

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <06-16-20/1804:13> »

All negative qualities that are based around how you act are secretly positive qualities. You get free points for playing your character like you were going to play them anyways.
I had not considered it that way but I think you’re correct here.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #7 on: <06-17-20/0137:26> »
That's why they come with mechanical disadvantages, so you can't just choose not to act that way and avoid the penalties. It's why I like the tweak to Distinctive Style in SR6.

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <06-17-20/1411:46> »
That's why they come with mechanical disadvantages, so you can't just choose not to act that way and avoid the penalties. It's why I like the tweak to Distinctive Style in SR6.

And I guess that's zippy, but its a mechanical penalty I'd likely be getting anyway because I'm just playing my character.  If my character always shoots with his off hand because shooting people is too easy otherwise, I guess that could make a interesting compulsion style disadvantage.  But whether you give me points for it or not, that's what I was going to do. I guess with the disad I might miss out on a inigo montoyo moment where I say, i'm not left handed.  But that would be a once in a campaign thing anyway.

If a human without the disadvantage dresses, mods himself to look like a orc do orcs treat him perfectly fine, but someone with the disadvantage in a identical get up gets a penalty. no, they both get the penalty. So, if it's what you were going to do anyways, its free points at worst, at best it gives you a mechanical excuse to lean into how you want to play your character even when other players don't want you to. Distinctive style is the same, hey there is this penalty if I don't do what I want to do.  Oops I guess I got to run in my get up even at this funeral. Wait what more spotlight time for me as people react to my getup, this is terrible that I'm getting more screen time.