NEWS

What would you retcon INTO the 6th world?

• 3 Replies

Finstersang

• Omae
« on: <04-14-20/0730:14> »
To much time on hand, yet I need a little break from rules discussion  ::)
Let´s talk lore and setting for a change!

Question as above: If you had the power, what lore piece/organisation/conspiracies/technologies etc. would you (retroactively) add to the 6th world?
Please note the emphasis here. This is not supposed to gather stuff that you always hated, it´s about things that you miss and wouldbuilding opportunities that weren´t used.

I make the start:

A Dwarf Megacon
Why: Dwarves are infamously faint in the Shadowrun Lore. Elves have Telestrian industries, the elven Nations, Sperethiel, a world-wide criminal syndicate and even immortal revenants from the 4th world. Orks and Trolls have Trog rock, Orzet, the Ork underground and lots and lots of struggles due to racism. Dwarfs are smol, sturdy and have pointy ears. That´s it. No legacy. No language. Not even beards! Every once in a while, you find a snippet on dwarf gang or a local dwarf community or something like that. But nothing substantial. Nothing that gives them an actual profile. And TBH, that´s really baffling to me: Not only would the fantasy stereotype of subborn, grudgy, industrious miners, craftsmen and blacksmiths merge really well with a hyper-capitalist cyberpunk setting (which is why I opt for a dwarven megacon and not for whole nation or socio-political movement); you would also hardly step on any toes by making the dwarf metatype a bit more "clichéd" again (unlike trogs, f.i.).

Here´s my pitch:

Steinhammer Industries
Slogan: Pending...
Status and Ranking: AA, somewhere in the midranks
Headquartes: Zermatt, Switzerland. And yes, it´s inside a mountain!
Founder and CEO: Albrecht Dagobert Steinhammer, a charismatic red-bearded dwarf in his early seventies.
Sectors: Mining and Metalworks (esp. rare earths and alloys), Weapons and Armor, Manatech (esp. Weapon Foci), Drones, Precision Engineering. A small fashion branch specialized in Jewellery and dwarf-sized clothing. And brewery ;D
Company culture and aesthetics:
Stereotypical Fantasy Dwarves gone Cyberpunk: Giant mountain factories, mining and forging day and night. Masterfull Craftmanship. Stone halls with statues and runic pillars. Beards. Beer. Axes and Hammers.  Add some suits and (rather smol) office cubicles, cybered guards with automatic weapons, secure matrix hosts, drone perimeters and a big flashy logo with a fat runic hammer on it – bang, there you have it: The one and only Cyberpunk-Fantasy Dwarf corporation. (Seriously, why isn´t this a thing since the beginning of Shadowrun?  :o)

However, there´s a twist to it: While the Elven and Orc identities a partly reconstructed from ancient artifacts from Dunkelzahn´s legacy (and probably also influenced by existence of immortal elves and the seelie court), the whole "Steinhammer dwarf culture" seems to be entirely manufactured by the CEO himself. No ancient traditions, just a wild pastiche of the way "Dwarves" are portrayed in myths and popular culture; From the Dvergatal to the Nibelung all the way up to Lord of the Rings (A.D. Steinhammer is a huge Tolkien fan) and even more recent sources from popular fantasy franchises. The ominous sounding scraps of "Dwarfish" that the emloyees weave into their speech (often mixed with a heavy swiss acccent): Borrowed from Tolkien, from the Edda, sometimes entirely made up. Steinhammer´s personal office  –  affectionally called the „Hall of the Mountain King“ – is filled with dwarf paraphernalia, including old norse tablets and medieval manusctripts as well as brightly-coloured fiberglass statues with axe-wielding dwarves from popular video games and movies. 

Jokingly, Steinhammer will refer to these as the „Council of Forefathers“ and even pretend to communicate with them at times. Most visitors and business partners will just brush this off as a weird spleen of the jovial CEO. But then there are the rumours: Some might find that parts of his collection look a bit more ... ancient then the rest. Among his direct subordinates, there are rumors the Steinhammer is sometimes talking to the "council" even in private – and his closer friends swear that they sometimes hear something whispering back. Even stranger, some claim that this phenomenon started to manifest even in the more modern pieces of the collections recently. 

Any thoughts? What are your crazy pipedreams that you´d love to see in the setting?
« Last Edit: <04-14-20/1203:53> by Finstersang »

MercilessMing

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <04-16-20/1411:29> »
I would include the impacts of climate change, ala Blade Runner 2049.

BeCareful

• Chummer
« Reply #2 on: <04-16-20/2213:09> »
Okay, I want to include Steinhammer Industries in my home game!

Two things I want to retcon into Shadowrun:

First, magic has spread to the point where it is possible for anyone, even mundanes, to become aware of their own aura, and even make subtle alterations to it just by wanting it fiercely enough. Mechanically, anyone can put points into Assensing, but if you aren't Awakened, all you can do is view your aura or that of anyone/thing you're touching with a minute of meditation and two hits on Assensing+INT. Ten minutes of Assensing+WIL to alter your aura, mostly so that characters can describe themselves in all three aspects of the Sixth World, and so mundane disguise Faces won't get stymied as much by Astral Perception.

Secondly, I still like the idea of hosts coming from distributed server farms because Danielle de la Mar didn't want to hear what was possible or not, she wanted RESULTS!
While the stuff in Data Trails is handy for trips to the Resonance Realms, having hardware still be a thing means you can still get by without a decker by doing stuff suggested in 4th edition like threaten people for passwords, or have runs where, say, the Zero Zone's host is stored on entirely in-house server rooms, necessitating a run where you have to blow them up to destroy the host.
"Welcome to Shadowrun, where the biggest obstacle is you!"

wraith

• Chummer
  • just another ghost in the machine
« Reply #3 on: <04-19-20/0600:44> »
Anarchism.

It was there once, but end-stage capitalism clearly won among the writers.