NEWS

Decker Tips(5e)

• 4 Replies

Chalkarts

• Omae
  • I'm a Street Painter in South Georgia.
« on: <03-27-20/1759:13> »
I'm playing my first game in a long time tomorrow night.
I want to give the team a good showing.
I'm playing a Decker, but I've never played one before.

I was wondering if any skilled Deckers could give me some pointers on how to handle the archetype and not embarass myself.
I paint the pavement.  It's what I do.  Check it out on Instagram, @Chalkarts

BeCareful

• Chummer
« Reply #1 on: <03-29-20/1927:49> »
So, basic pointers for Deckering:

Primarily, know what you're doing & plan ahead.

First of all, go over stuff with the GM to make sure you're on the same page. Any house rules in play? Anything shadowbanned? My thoughts on the Matrix and house rules relating to it aren't going to be relevant here.

Look for a Matrix Action cheat sheet so you won't have to flip back and forth to figure out what they are and how to do them. I'm glad I have mine.

You've got high LOG. Ask if your Knowledge skills would be relevant. If not, you can always do a Matrix Search.

Keep in touch with your allies. If you have to buy them all matching biomonitors or point out they can add stuff to the visors of their motorcycle helmets, it'll help out. Micro-cameras and mics can also be shared via group chat.

Matrix Perception out of initiative is easy to do and might come in handy sometimes. Plus, if you're in a host and Patrol IC asks you what was your last Matrix Action, you'll have a perfectly legal one to show it.

Even if you have to read the texts of your allies to get the plot off the ground, you still need to trust them when you're off in VR.

Find ways to get ready before initiative is even rolled: Tell the GM you're looking for concentrations of weapons, or corpsec armour, or something. Listen in on their communications and peek into any body cameras so they won't catch you by surprise.

If you can access the host and everyone's equipment has been slaved to the host, you can use your mark on the host to Spoof Commands, Control Devices, or Edit Files! Open/close/lock doors! Send official-sounding orders to re-route security patrols away from you (if the face has a commlink that can do VR, invite 'em in to help out with this)! Download the floor plans of the place you're in and make a real-time map of it that you can share with your team! Look through cameras! Find out where the on-site Spider's office is so your team can tranq the Spider in meatspace! Flick the lights on & off, to bother the human workers. You can even edit AROs in corpsec helmets' visors' Image Link if you think it'd be helpful.

Best of all, none of that stuff will look like an obvious cyberattack, unless you're being cheeky about it. Then, if an alarm goes off and you can't stop it, you'll know who's going after you, give an estimate of how long it'll take them to get to you, and you'll have plenty of time to mess with them some more. If you & the GM are being extra careful, you can always do one more Edit File to tamper with the logs so that they can't just hit UNDO to whatever it was that you did.

Then, when they're ready to kick the door down or something, you can set off any flashbangs they've prematurely set to Wireless ON, or Data Spike a gun or Control Device to attempt some friendly fire or something. As long as you have host access, you can still do that stuff in AR. Plus, that won't prevent you from doling out suppressive fire or smoke grenades or stim patches or what-have-you.

If it comes to the worst, you don't need to Jack Out if you have a drone or an ally who can yank out your cable when you send them the warning.

Oh, and finally, yes it's a free action to turn one's whole PAN Wireless OFF. But it's still probably a Simple to turn it all ON again, and if you're up against corpsec whose gear is all slaved to the host, I didn't know security guards taking equipment off the host was allowed! If this is happening in other circumstances, at least you've shut down their long-range comms and made their smartguns less accurate. So there's that.

I only hope the advice came in time and turned out to be useful.
« Last Edit: <03-29-20/1937:45> by BeCareful »
"Welcome to Shadowrun, where the biggest obstacle is you!"

Chalkarts

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <03-31-20/1718:14> »
Thanks for the pointers.
I'm looking forward to being a mischief maker and rebooting peoples weapons and cyber.
I've been listening to The Arcology Podcast Live play campaign.  Their Technomancer got me wanting to monkey around in the Matrix.  I think I've picked up a good bit of the strategy there, but I know deckers aren't the same.

I've made up cheatsheets for my deck and programs but hadn't yet for Matrix actions.  I'll do that, that's a good idea.

I'll be trying to keep an ever-present spirit to give me some extra eyes and maybe pull the plug when VR starts killing me.
You've given me a lot of useful advice, thank you a Ton!
And Not too late, hopefully just in time.

BeCareful

• Chummer
« Reply #3 on: <04-01-20/1451:43> »
For my cyberdeck, I wrote it and a list of its programs on a sticky note. I cut off the bottom part with the ASDF numbers, so I can manually swap them around. It's also got the Always-On programs in my Datajack+.
What do you do for your cheat sheet?
(For Matrix Actions, I just searched for a list of them and printed it out, writing the ones from Kill Code the list didn't have on the back)
"Welcome to Shadowrun, where the biggest obstacle is you!"

Chalkarts

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <04-01-20/1601:04> »
I just wrote up some 3x5s, one for my deck to do the same thing you do so I can keep track of my swapping around since I have Quick Config and Perfect time.  I'll be doing too much swapping to keep track of mentally, lol.

I also made one up with all of my programs and their effects so I can keep track of which ones are loaded and not at any given time.

I'll do the same for Matrix actions, just a shorthand of the action, it's dice pool, and effect.