NEWS

AIs and Drones

• 12 Replies

忍

« on: <01-06-16/0041:53> »
With rigger 5 out, the rigger AI got some upgrades. Sadly this came with the cost of more obfuscation.

Page 151 of Data Trails states,
(AI-driven drones use the attributes, skills, and Matrix Initiative of the AI.)

Ok cool. The AI's stats matter when jumped in a drone. However they don't have physical stats. They use something else, which is described in the Attributes section for AI. (page 146)
If an AI finds itself in a situation not covered in here and a Physical attribute is required (using Control Device to drive a car, for example), use the Foundation Attributes table for conversion (p. 110) even if the AI is outside a UV host.

Now drones don't usually have a Sleaze or Attack attribute, which would translate to Agility and Strength respectively for AI. (Although you can mod the drone to have Sleaze and/or Attack with rules in Data Trails.) This means (as per Data Trails) when an AI that is jumped into an Ares Duelist (for example) would attack, the AI would make a Blades + {Null Attribute} [Handling] roll to make an attack with one of its blade-arms.

Here comes Rigger 5 with some clarification.  Under Drone Arm on page 125:
A drone’s cyberlimb starts with a Strength equal to its Body and an Agility equal to its Pilot.

Rigger 5 doesn't explicitly state that the Ares Duelist has a drone arm, but it does specify that they have a light weapon mount (a vehicle mod) in their Standard Upgrades on page 155. (Also there is a minor conflict as to whether or not drone modification rules or vehicle modification rules are intended with the core rulebook drones on this table. The drone modification rules are "optional", however in order for a drone to have a Strength or Agility attribute the drone rules are needed. Otherwise a vehicle's "mechanical arm" and weapon mount pose some confusion.) [Yes, it is a weapon mount, however there still are no attributes listed for those weapons.]

While in the CRB the drone's attack is described as using Pilot + [Weapon] Targeting autosoft [Accuracy] on page 183. This doesn't specifically imbue the Agility attribute via Pilot to an AI jumped into a drone. For a meatspace rigger, the gunnery skill comes into play  [Insert Gunnery+ Agility vs Logic argument here]. For an AI whether or not Blades (or automatics and such) or Gunnery is used is a little confusing.

Ultimately this quandary poses two questions:
1. Given that AIs use their attributes and skills when jumped into a drone, what does an AI use to determine their dice pool? (Foundation stats // Drone stats)&&(Gunnery // Blades, Automatics, Exotic Weapon, etc)
2. How does one definitively determine the Strength and Agility attribute scores of a vehicle? (just Pilot // drone modification rules)

[spoiler]Possible stat lines:
Using Foundation
BodyVehicle's Body
AgilitySleaze
ReactionData Processing
StrengthAttack
WillpowerAI stat
LogicAI stat
IntuitionAI stat
CharismaAI stat

Using Drone
BodyVehicle's Body
AgilityPilot(unless upgraded)
Reactionunclear
StrengthVehicle's Body
WillpowerAI stat
LogicAI stat
IntuitionAI stat
CharismaAI stat
[/spoiler]

If there's some game mechanic or rule I've missed or overlooked please point it out. I'm not trying to make an argument for any permutation presented. I just want to understand the scenario of an AI jumped into a drone making an attack.
« Last Edit: <01-06-16/0045:01> by 忍 »

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <01-06-16/0206:42> »
You forgot pilot.
Pilot functions as Device Rating, Agility, Firewall, Dataprocessing and Reaction
Body functions as Strength (Unless otherwise enhanced for Anthrodrones) and Body (Duh!)

Since you do have those attributes with a drone you don't have to use those sill UV attributes at all as a rigger AI.

The Duellist is an Anthrodrone and therefore has arms and legs (the special weapon mounts just mean they don't have hands)

The "optional" rules are entirely non-optional if you read the drone catalog - lots of options in there don't exist otherwise. 
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

UnLimiTeD

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <01-06-16/0606:24> »
Yeh, those are some damn mandatory optional rules.
The Duelist might have simple arms, though, given the visuals.
In general, an Anthroform will use the arms agility and strength, and use gunnery for implanted and weapon skills for wielded weapons, though I'm not sure about weapons implanted in the arms.
Still waiting on a Vector-Thrust Liminal Body.

gradivus

• Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <01-06-16/0617:50> »
Yeh, those are some damn mandatory optional rules.
The Duelist might have simple arms, though, given the visuals.
In general, an Anthroform will use the arms agility and strength, and use gunnery for implanted and weapon skills for wielded weapons, though I'm not sure about weapons implanted in the arms.

Damn the rules period.
If you use the drone mod rules there are things in vehicle mod rules that you lose out on.
If you use the vehicle mod rules, they don't really function well with drones.

They really should have given drone modding a little more loving in word count.
"Speech" Thought >>Matrix<< Astral

UnLimiTeD

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <01-06-16/0621:52> »
Well, you can still use vehicle mods with the drone mod rules. You'll just have extremely limited mod points.

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <01-06-16/0648:43> »
Yeah, I'd use the vehicle mod rules for anything not specifically covered in the drone mod rules if using the latter. Heck, I might even be lenient enough to give drones Body mod slots in each category in addition to the rules for drone modifications just to make them a little more versatile. No double dipping in vehicle mods already covered in the drone mod rules, though.

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <01-06-16/0707:06> »
You forgot pilot.
Pilot functions as Device Rating, Agility, Firewall, Dataprocessing and Reaction
Body functions as Strength (Unless otherwise enhanced for Anthrodrones) and Body (Duh!)

Since you do have those attributes with a drone you don't have to use those sill UV attributes at all as a rigger AI.

The Duellist is an Anthrodrone and therefore has arms and legs (the special weapon mounts just mean they don't have hands)

The "optional" rules are entirely non-optional if you read the drone catalog - lots of options in there don't exist otherwise.

I may have to toy around with an optimized Pilot AI.
Killing so many sacred cows, I'm banned from India.

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #7 on: <01-06-16/0709:17> »
They really should have given drone modding a little more loving in word count.
I get a sense that the drone / vehicle modifications split is an answer for an issue not of the fan base. I don't recall Arsenal having much issue with a single section.

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <01-06-16/0718:46> »
Not going to lie, I preferred the mod rules in Arsenal as they were a lot more straight forward. Not sure why categories were introduced and drones and vehicles split up like they were, when the old system worked just fine. In an edition were streamlining seems to be the name of the game, this was an odd departure from that direction. And I miss vehicle weapons and rules for miniguns and high velocity rounds.

UnLimiTeD

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <01-06-16/0722:14> »
There might one day be a supplement with that kind of stuff.
There's rapid fire rules in the german books, btw.

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #10 on: <01-06-16/0738:11> »
You forgot pilot.

I may have to toy around with an optimized Pilot AI.

If you need inspiration: http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=22882.0
(I friggin love being able to play robots)
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

&#24525;

« Reply #11 on: <01-06-16/0855:25> »
You forgot pilot.

When jumped into the drone, does the AI use the drone's Pilot in place of Agility? What if the limbs are Enhanced (as cyberlimbs usually are)? Presumably the new Agility comes into play.

Also, would an AI jumped in use Gunnery or the relevant weapon skill? (clubs, pistols, thrown, etc.)

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #12 on: <01-06-16/0859:12> »
The new drone arm rules state that "If the drone is using the arm for a test that would normally be Agility-based, use the limb’s Agility, rather than the drone’s Pilot Rating."

Since it's specifying "rather than the drone's Pilot Rating", I'd say a jumped in rigger or AI would use their own attributes and not those of the drone arm. But that's just me. And at 6,500¥ per rating and with most drones having pilot 2 or 3, it's cheaper to just upgrade pilot in many cases... I'll be houseruling that limb upgrades, like the limb themselves, cost half of list price to make them at least remotely affordable. But then, I'm also adding overflow tracks for vehicles and drones and upping their condition monitor tracks to make them more survivable, so I'm definitely partial to drones.