NEWS

Welcome!

• 772 Replies

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #570 on: <02-07-14/0021:59> »
Welcome to the club, C/D!  We're here to help!  And make random comments.

Well, I am, at least.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

HIJAG

• Newb
« Reply #571 on: <02-16-14/0132:29> »
I'm an Old School guy (Haven't played SR since...hmmm 2nd ED)

Anyway, RPGs aren't a big thing in Hawaii and I've been dying to get involved again.  All of my characters in the past have had a habit of DYING in gloriously horrific fashion (Clear a building, pull the grenade's pin, drop grenade, throw the pin).

Anyway, I'm looking at 3rd ED rules PDF (I've been unemployed for a year and a half and now going to college) and can't afford to buy the most up to date books.  All of my characters have been the MUSCLE of the group and now I'd like to try different things out.  So, couple questions for the gang.

1.  Are there ANY active games going on that needs a character or addition would be nice?
2.  I have spent my entire RPG tabletop career (25 years and dozens of games) as the "Cover Down on the group's weaknesses" role and am willing to jump on that if needed.

3.  I am able to post every day and have given permission for people to email me at anytime.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #572 on: <02-16-14/0820:33> »
Welcome HIJAG! Glad to see another new face around here. Have fun, be kind, and don't trust the dwarves (they've recently mixed up a new brew that makes your brain feel like it did 10 rounds with a WB cartoon).

As for games, we have a lot of play by posts games going on here. You can post a character in The Big Black Book o' Runners thread or just check some OOC threads out to see if they're recruiting.

Nightmare

• Chummer
  • Freelance merc, runner, and assassin
« Reply #573 on: <02-21-14/1051:37> »
Hey chummers, new to this forum though been lurking around a few others in the past.  Been running since 2050 (Shadowrun 1st edition) as both a player and GM.  Finally decided to get my hoop in gear and join on.  So there's that obligatory "Look at the new freak" post.

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #574 on: <02-21-14/1234:39> »
Welcome Nightmare!  It's good to see another old-timer.  Don't trip over your walker when lurking.  :P
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

Nightmare

• Chummer
« Reply #575 on: <02-24-14/1014:27> »
Welcome Nightmare!  It's good to see another old-timer.  Don't trip over your walker when lurking.  :P

Oy, omae!  Be wary of us old-timers, we've been around the block more times than any of these noobs and seen a lot more.

Oh and because some drekhead will probably ask, no I am not the Nightmare that runs with the Halloweeners.  One of these days I'm going to show that THING what I do to people who use my name without asking.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #576 on: <02-25-14/0225:24> »
Just a friendly reminder, IC != OOC.  Most of this board is OOC.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #577 on: <02-25-14/0752:37> »
Welcome, Nightmare! Look around, ask questions, dive into conversations! Just be wary, a bunch of trolls recently came through looking for the latest Maria Mercurial digital and tore up the place a bit.

Nightmare

• Chummer
« Reply #578 on: <02-25-14/2005:32> »
Just a friendly reminder, IC != OOC.  Most of this board is OOC.

Makes a lot of sense to me, just trying to keep the mood light was all.

Welcome, Nightmare! Look around, ask questions, dive into conversations! Just be wary, a bunch of trolls recently came through looking for the latest Maria Mercurial digital and tore up the place a bit.

Urge...trolls after Maria's digital, that explains a lot.  They never seem to clean up after themselves.

Master Johnson

• Newb
« Reply #579 on: <03-30-14/1926:40> »
Yup.

Longtime runner (refdoc: 1980's).

GM
Offline. Online, punch 3. I can wiggle Cyberpunk/The Shadows like none. GM Face really like a few TPKs. Ref runners. Sequence referential data gaming. Play.

Few really get (hold doc) Cyberpunk. Let alone SR pro. Squealing doc trans.

Plays like music-hard hack reveal data. 1+ PC looking for love. Long-time romance. Seattle cafe. Messo?

HighPRY FAM-wash ob & clean.

Started running SR back in the 80s. Prior military. Ungood for newb runners-ops only. You need to know the system to run with me. Don't confuse vanity with proficiency.

Prior martial. Heavy ops. Rich reward. Cash in chummer.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #580 on: <03-30-14/2310:43> »
... yyyyeah.  Well, hi to you too.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #581 on: <03-31-14/0748:05> »
Welcome, MJ! Have a look around, ask some questions, and be polite! Else, I'll let the 'mancer punks off their leash to see what they can score in your browser history. ;)

Nightmare

• Chummer
« Reply #582 on: <03-31-14/1013:25> »
Well, welcome aboard Johnson, and listen to 'Jack about the stuff.  You don't want those techno freaks running around off their leashes.

SlowDeck

• Ace Runner
  • How do people add personal text under their name?
« Reply #583 on: <04-09-14/2015:06> »
Heya, all! Never played Shadowrun before, up until I got a copy of Shadowrun Returns. It was cheap and came recommended by a friend who knows my tastes. Plus, they were kinda hoping I would stop angling to try to get them to host a sci-fi game with a lot of magic in it...

I found a decker/mage to be quite effective in Shadowrun Returns. Bit of a magic hit for the necessary cyberware, but enemies tend not to do too well when you're bombarding them with spells...

I'm hoping to give the roleplaying game a try! I have the Fifth Edition rulebook and am slogging through it. The priority system could use a bit of a clearer explanation in text, but I did eventually figure out the confusing bits. Would have to limit playing to online for now.

Also, why doesn't the site accept "Artificial Intelligence" as an answer to "Are you human?"
"Speech" Spirit/"Astral" Thought/"Subvocal" Matrix/"Commlink" "Totem" [Time/Date] <<Text&email>>

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #584 on: <04-09-14/2205:45> »
Heya, all! Never played Shadowrun before, up until I got a copy of Shadowrun Returns. It was cheap and came recommended by a friend who knows my tastes. Plus, they were kinda hoping I would stop angling to try to get them to host a sci-fi game with a lot of magic in it...

I found a decker/mage to be quite effective in Shadowrun Returns. Bit of a magic hit for the necessary cyberware, but enemies tend not to do too well when you're bombarding them with spells...

I'm hoping to give the roleplaying game a try! I have the Fifth Edition rulebook and am slogging through it. The priority system could use a bit of a clearer explanation in text, but I did eventually figure out the confusing bits. Would have to limit playing to online for now.

Also, why doesn't the site accept "Artificial Intelligence" as an answer to "Are you human?"

Welcome~

Decker/mage is certainly a unique archetype mix.  In 5th, it's both easier and harder to do.  For one, you don't need any cyberware to deck--  Things called "trodes" exist, which are a net that you wear on your head (or under a hat, or as part of a helmet) that let you use simsense and VR without needing a datajack.  On the other hand, you need lots of skill points to be a decker, and a solid number to be a magician too.  On top of that, cyberdecks are hella expensive.  With the current priority system, it would be very, very difficult to pull it off at character creation.

But don't get discouraged; not only are there a ton of other awesome archetypes and roles to fill in a team, a later book will certainly present alternative character creation methods, allowing a more easily mix-matched character.

As for your last question...  I dunno.  Could be some kind of conspiracy.  Or maybe just a refusal of AIs ever since the rumors around the cause of the SYBIL virus popped up...
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.