NEWS

Neo-Tokyo - will it convert to 6E?

• 46 Replies

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #30 on: <07-25-19/1143:53> »

and here I just want to be able to complete Chicago for my group. Sadly most of season 8 still isn’t up for sale. No idea how to get the rest of it or any of season 9.

Have you considered becoming an Agent?

I know that's how my local GM got access to the rest of Season 8 & all of Season 9.

I just run a game for friends on sundays. If thats enough to be an agent I’d do it. But it doesn’t sound like a agent to me. Though I haven’t really looked into it.

Banshee

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #31 on: <07-25-19/1242:05> »

and here I just want to be able to complete Chicago for my group. Sadly most of season 8 still isn’t up for sale. No idea how to get the rest of it or any of season 9.

I know that's how my local GM got access to the rest of Season 8 & all of Season 9.

I just run a game for friends on sundays. If thats enough to be an agent I’d do it. But it doesn’t sound like a agent to me. Though I haven’t really looked into it.

the only requirement to stay an active agent these days is to run and report at least one public event per year ... if you don't mind the emails always asking for convention support and what not the benefits far out weigh the requirements
Robert "Banshee" Volbrecht
Freelancer & FAQ Committee member
Former RPG Lead Agent
Catalyst Demo Team

kyoto kid

• Omae
  • Bushido Cowgirl
« Reply #32 on: <07-29-19/2212:24> »
...I thought it was commiting to GMing a minimum of four missions per year in a local sponsored Missions group.  Going to cons can get expensive if travel and accommodations are involved.
Forsaken daughter is watching you

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #33 on: <07-29-19/2347:43> »
Right now, as Banshee said, it's 1 Open Event, not 4 Missions. I run custom Open Events because my timeslots used to make running Missions tough. Usually they're based on missions, sometimes they're completely custom.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Banshee

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #34 on: <07-30-19/0812:20> »
...I thought it was commiting to GMing a minimum of four missions per year in a local sponsored Missions group.  Going to cons can get expensive if travel and accommodations are involved.

it got reduced, and "Open Public Event" does not have to be cons, open event is defined as any SR event that is open to the general public to play and not restricted to private clubs/places. So it can be a homebrew game ran at the local library or a Mission game ran at a con or anything inbetween.

the convention support really varies depending on the convention, the big cons (Origins and Gencon) can easily get your accommodations covered but not travel, some small cons cover hotel
Robert "Banshee" Volbrecht
Freelancer & FAQ Committee member
Former RPG Lead Agent
Catalyst Demo Team

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #35 on: <07-30-19/0819:17> »
The only thing is that as agent you get the occasional mail which includes 'hey we still need people for gencon all!' and then as European I'm all 'okay good luck there!'.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

mbisber

• Newb
« Reply #36 on: <07-31-19/0214:06> »
Will there be copies of a "Shadowrun 6 Character Creation Worksheet" (one page, both sides) available at the Missions Command Table at GenCon?

It would be very friendly if these could be handed out free to all of the players, in addition to those participating in one of the 2 hour intro sessions.

steelybran

• Newb
« Reply #37 on: <08-13-19/1259:40> »
I believe I heard somewhere that the first season of missions will be dual-statted. (I believe in the 6th edition release discussion from the Arcology Podcast)

Also, there are conversion rules (at least there were for when they updated from 4th to 5th edition).  It depends on how heavily your character has been built/uses the supplements on how much of an impact this actually has.  I believe my Weapon Spec only has one piece of cyberware from a supplement, and a couple of guns.  Very easy to convert over.  My wife's Spec Ops is almost entirely from the Core book.

I heard the same thing on the podcast.

I also think it depends a lot (converting characters) on how much they used from the splat books.  My current character, a Weapons Expert with a penchant for sniper rifles, is almost entirely out of the core book (just Move-By-Wire from CF, I believe, and a few armor augments from other books).  Nothing major.

I'm also sitting on about 50+ unspent karma and over 220k in cash, and a bit unwilling to level them up.  The more I want stuff from splat books, the bigger pain it will be to convert them.

So either they let Neo-Tokyo just be 5E, or they say something to the effect of, "Take your accumulated karma, cash, street cred, notoriety, and public awareness... and rebuild the character.  Keep the theme, but otherwise do what you will."

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #38 on: <08-17-19/2233:10> »

the only requirement to stay an active agent these days is to run and report at least one public event per year ... if you don't mind the emails always asking for convention support and what not the benefits far out weigh the requirements

While this seemed like a decent idea, the signing up process I can't get past. Wants me to link a bunch of documents I wrote, I don't write out my adventures or put them in documents. they are outlines at best. a pity I really would like to finish season 8 with this group, the story seems to be coming together at the end pretty well.

mbisber

• Newb
« Reply #39 on: <10-21-19/1418:20> »
I suspect there will be a character and edition conversion at some point before 2020 Origins.

yes, but what exactly is what we are working on
I just received my SR6 Core book Saturday. I am greatly concerned about character conversion from 5E to 6E for Missions.

I was playing for the long haul in Tokyo, as I did for my Chicago Character, this time loading up with priority A, 46/10 Skills, and B, Magic 4.

It seems to me that many character conversion proposals likely could limit, reduce, or invalidate many of my skill choices retroactively. These were made in good faith two years ago.

If my character concept and development is to be gutted from now on, I will decline to play any SR6 Missions.

And, since I only play SR Missions, it's unlikely that I would be playing any other SR from now on. There are other rules sets out there.

Banshee? How is the conversion coming?

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #40 on: <10-21-19/1452:47> »
There is a completed conversion guide in the hands of Demo Team agents.

I have no idea what the timeframe is to make it available to the public at large.

As for concerns about the viability of converting heavy skills: eh. Your primary abilities will probably see some dice pool reductions. But remember dice pools are "supposed" to be slightly smaller in 6we. And your secondary and tertiary competencies will likely see improved dice pools.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Lormyr

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #41 on: <10-21-19/1510:24> »
There is no way Missions can use that conversion guide. Entirely too much of it based off of "negotiate with your GM".

The conversions are also highly non-equivalent. For example, Attributes just pick up and shift. That means SR5 characters converting who had Attribute selections other than A will have significantly more priority selection Attribute points vs. a new SR6 character. Don't even get me started on the skills.

It's pretty poorly done, and I hope Missions goes with something more balanced and simpler, along the lines of "Take your total karma and nuyen earned, minus working for the man or the people (unless they plan to keep those), and rebuild from scratch with those totals.".

Not only is that substantially simpler, it's more balanced.
« Last Edit: <10-21-19/1512:04> by Lormyr »
"TL:DR 6e's reduction of meaningful choices is akin to forcing everyone to wear training wheels. Now it's just becomes a bunch of toddlers riding around on tricycles they can't fall off of." - Adzling

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #42 on: <10-21-19/1526:06> »
I hope Missions goes with something more balanced and simpler, along the lines of "Take your total karma and nuyen earned, minus working for the man or the people (unless they plan to keep those), and rebuild from scratch with those totals.".

That's what I was thinking it would be.  Well, and whatever we're doing with Public Awareness, Street Cred, and Heat. 

Was there a reason that approach wasn't the way the Missions Team didn't want to go?

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #43 on: <10-21-19/1531:21> »
I hope Missions goes with something more balanced and simpler, along the lines of "Take your total karma and nuyen earned, minus working for the man or the people (unless they plan to keep those), and rebuild from scratch with those totals.".

That's what I was thinking it would be.  Well, and whatever we're doing with Public Awareness, Street Cred, and Heat. 

Was there a reason that approach wasn't the way the Missions Team didn't want to go?

We haven't heard what SRM is going to do.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #44 on: <10-21-19/1634:15> »

We haven't heard what SRM is going to do.

I may need a definition of "We".  There is a distinct version of "We" where the "Me" part of "We" has a document for converting characters.  Is that not a "Missions" document?  Or is this one of the documents I'm not supposed to talk about, 'cause if it is Lormyr started it.

Honestly I'm not very bright, I don't even buy shoes with laces anymore.  Just too hard.