NEWS

Neo-Tokyo - will it convert to 6E?

• 46 Replies

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #15 on: <05-28-19/1537:48> »

That’s the ideal. And realistically it’s maybe an hour tops per mission to dual stat things.

Hour may be a bit optimistic.  It's not just the NPC stat blocks, but every skill check, the legwork and rewards sections would probably need a separate section for each edition, likely every Matrix thing will need a total (or near total) re-write.  And there will be things in 5th edition, that simply didn't make it into 6th edition and those will need to be punted on each time.  It's not individually difficult but catching each little change would require a couple reads for most of us.

I converted DNA/DOA to 5th edition, almost on the fly.  Just a splash of prep time and I was good to go, but there were definitely some parts that just didn't work and were just made up on the spot.  Not ideal for Missions play  : )

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #16 on: <05-28-19/1548:40> »

That’s the ideal. And realistically it’s maybe an hour tops per mission to dual stat things.

Hour may be a bit optimistic...

Probably a wee bit, yes :)
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

kyoto kid

• Omae
  • Bushido Cowgirl
« Reply #17 on: <05-29-19/0218:40> »
Dual stating something as small as a typical Mission shouldn't be much time, but there are several.  Dual stating future missions and retro fitting ..... 12 SRMs and ?16? CMPs could be done to let Sixth Edition characters play the earlier NT Missions.

It would complicate setting up Missions at Cons and such as you'd have to specify which edition which could lead to some player confusion, but I think it's better to have the option to pick an edition to finish up the NT campaign. Folks can either play it out with 5th edition rules, or start new characters in 6th and play through the entire arc.

[Emphasis mine]
...sounds more sensible than to split it midstream
Forsaken daughter is watching you

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #18 on: <05-29-19/0934:30> »

Hour may be a bit optimistic.  It's not just the NPC stat blocks, but every skill check, the legwork and rewards sections would probably need a separate section for each edition, likely every Matrix thing will need a total (or near total) re-write.  And there will be things in 5th edition, that simply didn't make it into 6th edition and those will need to be punted on each time.  It's not individually difficult but catching each little change would require a couple reads for most of us.

I converted DNA/DOA to 5th edition, almost on the fly.  Just a splash of prep time and I was good to go, but there were definitely some parts that just didn't work and were just made up on the spot.  Not ideal for Missions play  : )

I think the first couple you do might take more than a hour but once you know what you are doing the actual stats part would be minutes and then a small set of time to read through and replace things that just don’t exist in 6e yet. I’ve done this for previous editions stuff with even bigger gaps of editions. The hard part is the initial determining of what do I want a firearms 6 professional rating 4 to equal in a new system which now uses stat+skill. This is a smaller leap so the stat part is easier.  Edge might be a pickle some cyber etc that doesn’t exist yet might have to be worked around. But the stats once you know your ground rules you should be able to zip through. And then the slow down is reading through the adventure to make sure it makes sense for 6e. But missions aren’t that long I read through them in 10minutes or so.

kyoto kid

• Omae
  • Bushido Cowgirl
« Reply #19 on: <06-01-19/0454:24> »
...I basically dropped out of Neo Tokyo missions because of the switch midstream.

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #20 on: <06-01-19/0553:11> »
...I basically dropped out of Neo Tokyo missions because of the switch midstream.

Did I miss something? 6th isn't even released yet, and the definitive plan for Neo-Tokyo Missions hasn't been announced yet as far as I'm aware.
« Last Edit: <06-01-19/0555:19> by Kiirnodel »

kyoto kid

• Omae
  • Bushido Cowgirl
« Reply #21 on: <06-01-19/2240:52> »
...from what I have been reading and still hearing, Season 11 is where the changeover between 5E and 6E is to be made.

Horsemen

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Chummer
« Reply #22 on: <07-09-19/2238:01> »
Nothing has been set in stone yet that I am aware of.
Agent #191 Catalyst Demo Team

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #23 on: <07-09-19/2247:04> »
I don't think it's a reach to assume it will happen. The time table is probably not soon, I imagine they won't want to make any major changes until at-least the primary splats are released. Further given that NT was already a hard reset. I strong suspect some sort of conversation will have to be developed.  That conversation will probably have to be fairly weird, as characters will go from a very long list of options to much shorter list of options, but that happened in 4th as I recall.
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

steelybran

• Newb
« Reply #24 on: <07-17-19/1641:29> »
I believe I heard somewhere that the first season of missions will be dual-statted. (I believe in the 6th edition release discussion from the Arcology Podcast)

Also, there are conversion rules (at least there were for when they updated from 4th to 5th edition).  It depends on how heavily your character has been built/uses the supplements on how much of an impact this actually has.  I believe my Weapon Spec only has one piece of cyberware from a supplement, and a couple of guns.  Very easy to convert over.  My wife's Spec Ops is almost entirely from the Core book.

Panthros

• Newb
« Reply #25 on: <07-21-19/1609:16> »
Please use the 6th edition going forward.  Rip the band off.  Allow people to convert their characters or new characters only is fine too.  I have no desire to go back to 5th while 6th is out.  Considering I will be playing Shadowrun for 4 days at GenCon, I know there will be a learning curve buy why not promote the new rules by demonstrating they work in existing missions. 

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #26 on: <07-21-19/1617:02> »
As stated, Season 10 is being offered in 5e, so GenCon won't offer 6e SRM yet. It wouldn't be possible yet either, since the rules are premiering at GenCon. As for the next season, there's no official decision yet but I think there's only a few options they're considering, and none of those will be 'keep it 5e at cons'.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #27 on: <07-23-19/1349:21> »
none of those will be 'keep it 5e at cons'.

In short SRM is going to 6e. Buckle up.
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #28 on: <07-23-19/1401:14> »
none of those will be 'keep it 5e at cons'.

In short SRM is going to 6e. Buckle up.
  and here I just want to be able to complete chicago for my group. Sadly most of season 8 still isn’t up for sale. No idea how to get the rest of it or any of season 9.

prophet42

• Newb
  • Financial Prognosticator
« Reply #29 on: <07-25-19/1136:06> »

and here I just want to be able to complete Chicago for my group. Sadly most of season 8 still isn’t up for sale. No idea how to get the rest of it or any of season 9.

Have you considered becoming an Agent?

I know that's how my local GM got access to the rest of Season 8 & all of Season 9.
If its not fun, then why are you doing it?