NEWS

Neo-Tokyo - will it convert to 6E?

• 46 Replies

Fedifensor

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« on: <05-01-19/1130:02> »
Given the announcement of 6E, it's time to ask the obvious question.  Will Neo-Tokyo stay 5E until it concludes in 2021, or will there be a conversion to 6E?

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <05-01-19/1135:34> »
Given the announcement of 6E, it's time to ask the obvious question.  Will Neo-Tokyo stay 5E until it concludes in 2021, or will there be a conversion to 6E?

I would imagine season 11 and on will be 6E, since that'll be the current edition by that point.

The FAQ still covers converting 4E SRM characters to 5E, so I can't imagine there won't be something similar to update 5E Neo-Tokyo runners.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Banshee

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <05-01-19/1136:14> »
the current season (10) that debuts at Origins will stay 5E, but we are still discussing what future seasons will end up being
Robert "Banshee" Volbrecht
Freelancer & FAQ Committee member
Former RPG Lead Agent
Catalyst Demo Team

Lormyr

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #3 on: <05-01-19/1555:35> »
I suspect there will be a character and edition conversion at some point before 2020 Origins.
"TL:DR 6e's reduction of meaningful choices is akin to forcing everyone to wear training wheels. Now it's just becomes a bunch of toddlers riding around on tricycles they can't fall off of." - Adzling

Banshee

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <05-01-19/1600:16> »
I suspect there will be a character and edition conversion at some point before 2020 Origins.

yes, but what exactly is what we are working on
Robert "Banshee" Volbrecht
Freelancer & FAQ Committee member
Former RPG Lead Agent
Catalyst Demo Team

Lormyr

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #5 on: <05-01-19/1625:18> »
Makes sense, there's a lot of moving parts to look at. We appreciate the insight!
"TL:DR 6e's reduction of meaningful choices is akin to forcing everyone to wear training wheels. Now it's just becomes a bunch of toddlers riding around on tricycles they can't fall off of." - Adzling

kyoto kid

• Omae
  • Bushido Cowgirl
« Reply #6 on: <05-11-19/0221:15> »
...what will happen to characters who have qualities, skills, augmentations, powers, etc from later expansions that may not be available for months or years again?
Forsaken daughter is watching you

Lehane

• Newb
« Reply #7 on: <05-14-19/2300:53> »
...what will happen to characters who have qualities, skills, augmentations, powers, etc from later expansions that may not be available for months or years again?

I am wondering about this myself. I ran six missions last Gencon and banked the karma for an Ally Spirit. I would finish it this Gencon but I would like to know if it would be undone by a conversion to 6th before events registration for Gencon this Sunday. Kinda Important.

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #8 on: <05-15-19/0429:55> »
There is no way that the upcoming missions this GenCon are going to be converted to 6th edition. The rules aren't going to be fully available until THAT weekend.

I would guess, that the soonest we are looking at would be for season 11 to be 6th edition.

For the record, my vote is against trying to convert mid-locale. Just like with the move from 4th to 5th, the conversion should be a full reset...

mbisber

• Newb
« Reply #9 on: <05-15-19/0512:17> »
For the record, my vote is against trying to convert mid-locale. Just like with the move from 4th to 5th, the conversion should be a full reset...
Those of us with complicated characters are not going to want to retrofit their particulars.

kyoto kid

• Omae
  • Bushido Cowgirl
« Reply #10 on: <05-17-19/2324:49> »
I would guess, that the soonest we are looking at would be for season 11 to be 6th edition.

Those of us with complicated characters are not going to want to retrofit their particulars.
...+1

Sigfred

• Newb
« Reply #11 on: <05-28-19/0150:58> »
I figure I would throw in my two cents.

If we are looking forward:
Player and concepts that haven been created for NeoTokyo and run for two GenCon's/Origins will get that axe due to the complete loss of source material in the switch. This can be disheartening for players who are building a character concept and views of particular NPCs and situations that can no longer be made thus making players feel it negates what they have accomplished.

Looking backwards:
As someone who jumped into missions play the second to last and last season of Chicago I was able to find tables out in the wilds to play the earlier season stuff. This was exciting because as I ran out of the "new" stuff as a new player to missions I was able to play older modules without issues.

I bring up the second point because if a conversion is pushed at the cons for the last two seasons of NeoTokyo once done you have then shut potential new players (and older players) who have not be able to experience the older mods with their new "upgraded" 6e characters.

This is part of the problem Paizo is facing and I have seen in tables I play of pathfinder. People have slowed to even stopped showing up to current events as come this Aug all of the characters they have been playing for years are no longer valid for play. The sentiment of "Why should I play when in X months it won't matter" is such a common statement I hear.

People in the shadowrun community at least are used to a 4 year reset. Every 4 years you build a new character and new concept to fit a setting. By waiting for the end it would allow for you to A. give a nice close to the chapter and B. Allow for the new setting to begin in the era you guys are shooting for.

tl;dr My vote would also be that the official launch for 6e in missions be when the new setting hits just so players don't feel like they wasted time playing characters that won't matter soon.

kyoto kid

• Omae
  • Bushido Cowgirl
« Reply #12 on: <05-28-19/0312:25> »
I figure I would throw in my two cents.

If we are looking forward:
Player and concepts that haven been created for NeoTokyo and run for two GenCon's/Origins will get that axe due to the complete loss of source material in the switch. This can be disheartening for players who are building a character concept and views of particular NPCs and situations that can no longer be made thus making players feel it negates what they have accomplished.

Looking backwards:
As someone who jumped into missions play the second to last and last season of Chicago I was able to find tables out in the wilds to play the earlier season stuff. This was exciting because as I ran out of the "new" stuff as a new player to missions I was able to play older modules without issues.

I bring up the second point because if a conversion is pushed at the cons for the last two seasons of NeoTokyo once done you have then shut potential new players (and older players) who have not be able to experience the older mods with their new "upgraded" 6e characters.

This is part of the problem Paizo is facing and I have seen in tables I play of pathfinder. People have slowed to even stopped showing up to current events as come this Aug all of the characters they have been playing for years are no longer valid for play. The sentiment of "Why should I play when in X months it won't matter" is such a common statement I hear.

People in the shadowrun community at least are used to a 4 year reset. Every 4 years you build a new character and new concept to fit a setting. By waiting for the end it would allow for you to A. give a nice close to the chapter and B. Allow for the new setting to begin in the era you guys are shooting for.

tl;dr My vote would also be that the official launch for 6e in missions be when the new setting hits just so players don't feel like they wasted time playing characters that won't matter soon.
...+1.

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #13 on: <05-28-19/0953:48> »
Dual stating something as small as a typical Mission shouldn't be much time, but there are several.  Dual stating future missions and retro fitting ..... 12 SRMs and ?16? CMPs could be done to let Sixth Edition characters play the earlier NT Missions.

It would complicate setting up Missions at Cons and such as you'd have to specify which edition which could lead to some player confusion, but I think it's better to have the option to pick an edition to finish up the NT campaign.  Folks can either play it out with 5th edition rules, or start new characters in 6th and play through the entire arc.

Heck, you could let Players transfer Mission Rewards to alternate edition characters.  Player shows up with a 5th edition character for a 6th edition game, oops.  Here have a pre-gen, play the game, go ahead and have the rewards for your 5th edition character and toss the pre-gen. 

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #14 on: <05-28-19/1503:10> »
Dual stating something as small as a typical Mission shouldn't be much time, but there are several.  Dual stating future missions and retro fitting ..... 12 SRMs and ?16? CMPs could be done to let Sixth Edition characters play the earlier NT Missions.

It would complicate setting up Missions at Cons and such as you'd have to specify which edition which could lead to some player confusion, but I think it's better to have the option to pick an edition to finish up the NT campaign.  Folks can either play it out with 5th edition rules, or start new characters in 6th and play through the entire arc.

Heck, you could let Players transfer Mission Rewards to alternate edition characters.  Player shows up with a 5th edition character for a 6th edition game, oops.  Here have a pre-gen, play the game, go ahead and have the rewards for your 5th edition character and toss the pre-gen.

That’s the ideal. And realistically it’s maybe an hour tops per mission to dual stat things. As an aside drop the art or whatever is slowing it down to get these to the public. I’d happily run neo Tokyo for my group but who knows of it will ever be available. And this game needs it. I can’t hand craft an adventure every week anymore. I suspect most the fans are in the age/life point where they can’t either.