NEWS

Prime Mission Planning - Killing Pawn, Origins Game Fair June 3-7

• 6 Replies

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« on: <05-03-15/1716:10> »
Given my Missions Prime Runner's reputation for planning and preparedness, I thought I'd try and see ahead of time what folks are planning to play in the very first Prime Mission, "Killing Pawn".

I am playing it at Origins Game Fair in the Friday 8 am slot, one of two slots that actually has tickets sold.

I am bringing along Old Man Jones, legendary prime runner (256 karma), ex-military combat mage, geriatric ninja, and all round grumpy soul. Accompanying him will be Talia, personal assistant and ally spirit, and quite a lot of ordinance. Not that we will necessarily need it, but... preparedness.

(Unfortunately my other 4th edition character, Jack the Pixie, is pretty much relegated to retirement as the 5th edition rules set really doesn't support a pixie rigger driving a human suit.)

What is everyone else bringing along?

-k

The Masked Ferret

• Chummer
  • CDT Special Agent
« Reply #1 on: <05-06-15/1720:17> »
Wish that I had a Prime runner that could play with him, but no Origins for me.
SpeechThoughtMatrix/E-mail/TextingAstralSub-vocal

DWC

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <06-08-15/1704:30> »
How did it go?

Belker

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
  • The Butcher
« Reply #3 on: <06-08-15/1847:12> »
For whatever reason, we didn't have a lot of sign-ups for the Prime Mission, and we didn't have enough players in any of the regular slots to run it (never more than two at a time while I was in the room). The only session that I'm aware of was the all-GM table Sunday morning at 8 AM which was arranged Saturday night. I'm not sure how that went beyond folks having fun with it.
"Dog says to always wear your seatbelts, kiddies."
Missions Freelancer (CMP 2015 - The Tennessee Suite 1-4)

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #4 on: <06-09-15/0207:42> »
Limited-Audience events are, from personal experience running cons, best specifically scheduled to one or two slots. This funnels the interested parties into showing up in enough numbers to actually make the tables.

Otherwise you get exactly what happened - a couple showing up in any given slot.

Ah well. Maybe next time.

-k

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #5 on: <06-09-15/0256:54> »
The down side to limited events though is people signing up without properly reading what it is.  You might be shocked at how often people register for an event without reading it.  I've lost count over the years of how many players showed up to a 2 or 3 night tournament event not realizing it was a tournament, that you were expected to know the rules, and/or that it was a multi-night event.  (Gen Con used to compound this by routinely screwing up the tickets and selling tickets to each round seperately, so THEN you had folks showing up with tickets for rounds 2 and 3 without playing round 1).  And that applies across the board.  The old Welcome to the 6th world games would also occasionally get folks who just wanted to play a game, not realizing the bulk of it was chargen.

Primes are tricky.  We know we have a lot of players who only get to play at conventions and have Season 3 and 4 characters they want to convert.  But if we schedule it only once or twice, what happens if neither of those times work for half our players?  This is one big reason we try and run stuff several times over the weekend.

And we'll see what happens with Gen Con, where everyone is in just this mad scramble to get into whatever they possibly can since everything sells out instantly.

*sigh*

Plus you have some players who don't want to make Primes until the remaining core books come out, which is understandable as well.

It's a mess.  Ray's working on it for the convention side, and we're going to chat and see what can be done to mitigate the issues moving forward.  We'll be looking at Gen Con carefully and seeing how things go, and then plan for next year accordingly.

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <06-09-15/0648:01> »
Virtual conferences! It's the way of the future, man :D